Subway Entrances at Metropolitan Avenue/Lorimer Street Reopened Today!

Union Tpke

2 hours ago, Q Broadway Express said:

Which entrances on the Sea Beach Line?

The Bay Pkwy entrance on Bay Pkwy

The Kings Hwy entrance on Kings Hwy

The Fort Hamilton Pkwy entrance on Fort Hamilton Pkwy

The 18 Av entrance on 18 Av

And there might be more... although the point is they make up for pretty annoying walks

From what I can see, the flooring is all concrete, which is a bit strange; while this is not the only station rehab where the MTA decided not to tile the floor, I was expecting tiles since the northern portion of the mezzanine already has them. In addition, many of the light fixtures that were there prior to closure remain in use, many stairways retained their original railings (with minor modifications), and the retiling work maintained the recessed spaces that were used for advertisements back then; I would have expected all of that to be removed/replaced. Overall, I like what I am seeing; it is like a return to the past. Hopefully the shortcomings from this rehab is not an indication that the reopening is intended to be temporary.

Not surprisingly, they decided to keep the remaining portion of the mezzanine and the stairways to Grand Street shuttered.

13 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Now let's see when those Sea Beach entrances will open... probably never

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

The Bay Pkwy entrance on Bay Pkwy

The Kings Hwy entrance on Kings Hwy

The Fort Hamilton Pkwy entrance on Fort Hamilton Pkwy

The 18 Av entrance on 18 Av

And there might be more... although the point is they make up for pretty annoying walks

Understandable, but saying that they will "probably never" reopen is so exaggerated that it is pretty ridiculous. They serve the station's namesake street and have a bus line that runs on those streets. All the cosmetic work done in the station houses would be a waste of money if they were to remain closed for the foreseeable future. Unless there was prior notice to the public beforehand and unless this is what people want, expect them to reopen.

Something about Sea Beach rehab that is more related to this discussion at hand: after being closed for 30 years, 8th Avenue's second entrance at 7th Avenue has reopened since last month.

4 minutes ago, Gong Gahou said:

From what I can see, the flooring is all concrete, which is a bit strange; while this is not the only station rehab where the MTA decided not to tile the floor, I was expecting tiles since the northern portion of the mezzanine already has them. In addition, many of the light fixtures that were there prior to closure remain in use, many stairways retained their original railings (with minor modifications), and the retiling work maintained the recessed spaces that were used for advertisements back then; I would have expected all of that to be removed/replaced. Overall, I like what I am seeing; it is like a return to the past. Hopefully the shortcomings from this rehab is not an indication that the reopening is intended to be temporary.

Not surprisingly, they decided to keep the remaining portion of the mezzanine and the stairways to Grand Street shuttered.

Understandable, but saying that they will "probably never" reopen is so exaggerated that it is pretty ridiculous. They serve the station's namesake street and have a bus line that runs on those streets. All the cosmetic work done in the station houses would be a waste of money if they were to remain closed for the foreseeable future. Unless there was prior notice to the public beforehand and unless this is what people want, expect them to reopen.

Something about Sea Beach rehab that is more related to this discussion at hand: after being closed for 30 years, 8th Avenue's second entrance at 7th Avenue has reopened since last month.

I know... I'm just saying it feels like all the work on Sea Beach is taking so damn long... or maybe I'm just impatient. After all, I don't think I could handle waiting 30 years for an entrance lol.

Archived