5 train to Flatbush Middays!

Abba

(5)

Trains run to Flatbush Av during midday hours

Weekday, Oct 27 – Nov 21, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM Mon to Fri

Apparently 5 trains will run to Flabush, middays for a month. I don't know if it's an experiment or because of consruction.

(5)

Trains run to Flatbush Av during midday hours

Weekday, Oct 27 – Nov 21, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM Mon to Fri

Apparently 5 trains will run to Flabush, middays for a month. I don't know if it's an experiment or because of constrution.

It's an experiment. I've been hearing T/Os, C/Rs, and TSSs talking about it, and said it was suppose to start soon.......

wooooooooo, well seems like 80s are cmming back :)

but this can be a VERY bad Idea, reason is cuz, it would cause a delay over at Franklin Juction

(2)(3)(4)(5)

and I wonder why is this happing? Cuz of the the SF station gonna be demolished or sumin =S

http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf_f/43_5tr3.pdf

Im assuming you mean Rogers junction (south of Franklin Ave), and yes that could be a problem although less so than during rush hour. Wonder if they are going to terminate midday some 5's at Utica like Rush, and maybe even one at New Lots like rush to relieve some of the congestion if it's bad...not sure since midday headways are (slightly) longer than Rush, maybe they might not need to ...

Im assuming you mean Rogers junction (south of Franklin Ave), and yes that could be a problem although less so than during rush hour. Wonder if they are going to terminate midday some 5's at Utica like Rush, and maybe even one at New Lots like rush to relieve some of the congestion if it's bad...not sure since midday headways are (slightly) longer than Rush, maybe they might not need to ...

sry not fimilar of all junctions mostly manhattan and th bronx

when I look at this track map it seems to be await:

detail-franklin.png

What the TA could do is:

For South bound service:

if a (5) Train needs access to nostrands line, then dont have ANY local trains over at farnklin, allow a hold up at Brooklyn museum.. To speed up the (5), if the (5) is at Atlantic or is a few min away from franklen, and there is a local at franklen, have it leave, before the (5) cums in

For Dyre ave service, have the (5) Hit President street, and go first before a lcl (3) or exp (4) hits.. or if the (3) and/Or (4) merges, have the (5) Slow down between Sterling and prez.. Just to help it get through :)

This sounds more like E180th Street when a Local Train waits on lcl platform, lets say (2) and the (5) goes first over to dyre, while the (2) waits, which delys.. what the E180th street workers do, is have the (5) enter Lcl platform, while the (2) is waiting at West Farms, or is on another stop before it, then it have it does on M track at 180th, so the (2) and (5) go ahead, Neriod train same thing.. I can see why the T/A wanted the (2) Express back then and the (5) run lcl to 238th WP/Dyre

Has the T/A ever thought of converting that holding m track south of atlantic, to merge with the Express track? That way the (5) can go to nevins..

This would sound more like a mess lol:

(2)(3) via Nostrand

<5> Express to Utica

(4) Local To new lots

:)

sry not fimilar of all junctions mostly manhattan and th bronx

when I look at this track map it seems to be await:

Yup thats Rogers Jct

Has the T/A ever thought of converting that holding m track south of atlantic, to merge with the Express track? That way the (5) can go to nevins..

Not sure what you mean by converting, but if you mean short turning trains at Nevins, the only problem with that is you have to fumigate at Nevins S/B to make sure no passengers in the relay which would be more difficult when people are used to (5)'s in Brooklyn keep going past Atlantic...fumigating would slow things back down again. What would be cool is if there was some way to rebuild Rogers Jct so that you didn't have as many trains crossing in front of each other, but I can't think of a reasonable way to do that without switching the (3) and the (5), and then the (3) loses access to Livonia Yd.

Yup thats Rogers Jct

Not sure what you mean by converting, but if you mean short turning trains at Nevins, the only problem with that is you have to fumigate at Nevins S/B to make sure no passengers in the relay which would be more difficult when people are used to (5)'s in Brooklyn keep going past Atlantic...fumigating would slow things back down again. What would be cool is if there was some way to rebuild Rogers Jct so that you didn't have as many trains crossing in front of each other, but I can't think of a reasonable way to do that without switching the (3) and the (5), and then the (3) loses access to Livonia Yd.

i meant extended that middle track and connect to express track my mate :)

The supplement schedule refers to it as a test. There is no mention of South Ferry on it. Some of us believe it has something to do with the A.T.S. system's failures. Maybe they're trying to make it work to justify spending millions of dollars on this lemon of computerized train operation. So far it can't even make lemonade, much less properly route trains or speed up things. When they turn it off things run smoothly on the Lex lines and in Brooklyn. When it's on things slow down to a crawl on Lexington Ave and in Brooklyn from Bowling Green to south of Franklin Ave and on to Utica or Flatbush.

Guys, this is a little off-topic but is there a way of rebuilding Rogers Junction so that all of the lines can operate freely without holding up other lines? I remember someone on another forum telling me that it could be done, except the Livonia Line could be cut off from the system.

no need, and plz speak english

@Trainmaster, will this be going permanent in future?

We will find out soon. The new work programs will be posted soon because the IRT job pick starts on November 10th and the book is probably printed already. They try to keep it under wraps so the crews don't get upset and point out the errors.

Guys, this is a little off-topic but is there a way of rebuilding Rogers Junction so that all of the lines can operate freely without holding up other lines? I remember someone on another forum telling me that it could be done, except the Livonia Line could be cut off from the system.

Hows this:

Looks more like (A)(:((C)(D) at 59th

But it all depends on the earth

4uvyd8hfs7bypslic2s2.jpg

mad it with MSFT Paint, sucks a bit, oh well

Hows this:

Looks more like (A)(;)(C)(D) at 59th

But it all depends on the earth

4uvyd8hfs7bypslic2s2.jpg

mad it with MSFT Paint, sucks a bit, oh well

You would have to shut down the entire line from Atlantic Avenue to Utica and Flatbush to do what you propose. The entire thoroughfare on Eastern Parkway above the construction site would have to be closed for years. That, and the cost, means it will never happen except in someone's model RR. How many years has it been since this generations SAS has been in the works and they've only worked on two blocks, 94th-96th St. Even if they had the money and time to do it I would guess it would be about 2025 before the SAS is finished and they might think about it after that. Your proposal is what the IRT should have built when the Eastern Parkway line was laid out.

Alright, after posting on the (5) line, and asking the (5) line crews, all (5) trains will be going to Flatbush starting next week, on this experiment. Reason given was to ease the traffic tie-ups on the (4) line, waiting for the (5) to go around "Toilet" Bowling Green, creating delays on the 4 line N/B and S/B. The (5) line crews are saying cha-ching for now, and "are going to get more money on the (5) during this experiment".........

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, the test is over. So far we've overspent the budgeted test $$$ in the first two weeks. Test results ??? Who knows ??? Purpose of test, unknown to the RTO hourlies who did the grunt work. Why didn't they run the test during the Thanksgiving to Christmas period when you probably have more midday riders traveling between Flatbush and the midtown and downtown shopping areas? Most of the (5) trains were almost empty when they got to Flatbush.On one hand the (MTA) cries broke while the other hand spends $$$ for no apparent reason. We're contemplating adding service while cutting back on existing service. What a crock of ....!

Ok, the test is over. So far we've overspent the budgeted test $$$ in the first two weeks. Test results ??? Who knows ??? Purpose of test, unknown to the RTO hourlies who did the grunt work. Why didn't they run the test during the Thanksgiving to Christmas period when you probably have more midday riders traveling between Flatbush and the midtown and downtown shopping areas? Most of the (5) trains were almost empty when they got to Flatbush.On one hand the (MTA) cries broke while the other hand spends $$$ for no apparent reason. We're contemplating adding service while cutting back on existing service. What a crock of ....!

Its empty Manhattan bound also.....after being behind a (4) all the way to 125th Street....it would be nice to send the (5) during mid-days b/c waiting for the (2) is a headache sometimes. (MTA) isn't broke.....they CEO's got all the money and are selfish to use their money

Archived