Bus Years on TTMG...

The Real

So, some smart ass who decided to say that because their parents (or the like) work for the MTA and says that I'm wrong about how I list the years of the buses on the rosters and on my site.

Welp, let me clarify how I find out the MODEL year of a bus because I don't just come up with the shit out my ass. It's called a VIN or Vehicle Identification Number which is a unique code of 17 numbers, including a serial number, used by the automotive industry to identify individual vehicles.

To educate even further, the 10th digit in a vehicle code identifies the year in which the vehicle is modeled. So for prime example, 5FYD8FV07HB052201 is the VIN for MTA's New Flyer Xcelsior #7484. So the code H makes it a 2017 model. Sometimes a vehicles model year will not sync up to the BUILD date. An example of that case would be MTA's New Flyer Xcelsior Artic #6126 which by code is a 2019 model BUT it was built in 2018 or in the reverse case of the C40LFs (#320-569) which are 2011 models built in 2012.

On TTMG, for photos, we use model years instead of build dates. On the rosters, specifically depot summary we apply the model year as well but on the fleet summary, we'll apply both the model year and build date. For those of you using Fleet View (and I know there is tons of you), most of the time they use the build date and not the model year. Below is a chart for the model years for that 10th digit. Enjoy!

53799356_10216075721158198_5681952251812

6 hours ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

I only have one question " Where is the letter Z? "...🤔

Certain characters are skipped to not confuse against other characters. The letters I, O and Z are skipped to not get confused with the numbers 1, 0 and 2 as some VIN/manufacturers plates aren't that clear.

Archived