Q49 SBS Artic

2 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

I think maybe Q49 buses are borrowing from Q53 SBS?

It isn't a case of a shortage in buses.  This happened because SB Q49 buses were delayed and/or stalled along 75th Street (for whatever weather-related reason), and therefore there was no buses going towards East Elmhurst at all. That artic was taken off the Q53 at 75th Street, which didn't make too much of a dent in the schedule, as the B/O was doing his last scheduled trip anyway before heading to the depot. IDK who the supervisor/dispatcher was on that day, but that was a smart move, and I wish they (in general) could be more proactive like that instead of just doing nothing. Another bus eventually followed that one (and it was packed). 

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It isn't a case of a shortage in buses.  This happened because SB Q49 buses were delayed and/or stalled along 75th Street (for whatever weather-related reason), and therefore there was no buses going towards East Elmhurst at all. That artic was taken off the Q53 at 75th Street, which didn't make too much of a dent in the schedule, as the B/O was doing his last scheduled trip anyway before heading to the depot. IDK who the supervisor/dispatcher was on that day, but that was a smart move, and I wish they (in general) could be more proactive like that instead of just doing nothing. Another bus eventually followed that one (and it was packed). 

Well here in South Brooklyn and on the express routes, the motive apparently seems to be "no bus? No ride!"

This can only happen where multiple routes terminate at the same location and there is a dispatcher. There is another fact here as all of the routes that start there run out of the same garage. We do not have that luxury in Brooklyn.

Many years ago when I was working on Staten Island, the same thing happened and since I was waiting at the Eltingville Transit Center for an S/74, I  listened to the radio communications which stated that the S/74 had problems. Buses were missing and there was a long line of people waiting for the S/74 at the center. I walked into the Dispatcher's office and promptly pointed to the problem and within 5 minutes we had a bus on the S/74 route to Tottenville.

Archived