Transit-Oriented Development Discussion Topic

Union Tpke

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I was suggesting the creation of a new neighborhood in the triangle between the NYCRR, the PW and the Main Line, and by upzoning surrounding areas on Queens Boulevard. The curve would be too sharp for a stop there, and adding so many stops on the Hell Gate Line would mess scheduling up. See Alon Levy's posts on Pedestrian Observations. Adding stops at Pelham Parkway and Astoria are pushing it.

That's cool. I pass by Northern Blvd/Broadway on a Semi-Regular basis and I don't see how the curve is too sharp, but that's just me. As for adding a Commuter Rail Stop at Astoria, I  like the idea in theory, but in practice I simply can not agree with it. Like it says in your map, Eminent domain would be needed in order to make room for the platform, station house, and other Utilities. I don't see how that's going to be feasible and if that requires an extended closure of the Astoria Line (N)(W), that won't fly well with Commuters from Astoria (despite the fact that you'll get away with improving the interlocking's in that area)