OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm surprised SIR didn't get the OMNY readers when it first launched, since Staten Island has all their buses equipped with them.

The OMNY readers at Whitehall St are rather useless to SIR riders as long as the St George station lacks them.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Excellent list update. They are slowly putting the  readers on the uptown (4)(5)(6). Hopefully 86th and Lex should be next on the list along with 96th (6) before additional transitions to The Bronx and Brooklyn stations 🚉.  

I wouldn't be suprised if those stations have it, I just haven't been able to go over and personally verify them myself yet.

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I wouldn't be suprised if those stations have it, I just haven't been able to go over and personally verify them myself yet.

The other focus right now should be the rest of the Midtown and Downtown stations on all lines. On the bus side some buses in the Manhattan Division have bases for OMNY. Right now I’ve personally seen in MQ and MHV buses. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

The other focus right now should be the rest of the Midtown and Downtown stations on all lines. On the bus side some buses in the Manhattan Division have bases for OMNY. Right now I’ve personally seen in MQ and MHV buses. 

And the transferred Orion VII's from Staten Island to Manhattan should already have the reader.

80% of OMNY use is by Smartphone because US banks are for behind the times compared to banks in Europe, Asia, and Canada with regards to Contactless technology. Upper East Side residents are generally well-to-do and more apt to have Smartphones than local bus riders in general or SIR passengers,  so they get priority. 8 - 10% of NYC residents are also un-banked.   

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Copy. If you are in the area by 86th. Get a quick check. I was there about 3 weeks ago and it wasn’t there yet. 

86th still doesn't have them. I take the (6) one stop from 96th to 86th every day on the way home so I can get a seat on the M86 since a lot of people always get off at Lex. I'll be sure to post when 86th does get the readers. Oh, and here's 96th:

:Ubx2L4l.jpg

1 minute ago, Enjineer said:

86th still doesn't have them. I take the (6) one stop from 96th to 86th every day on the way home so I can get a seat on the M86 since a lot of people always get off at Lex. I'll be sure to post when 86th does get the readers. Oh, and here's 96th:

:Ubx2L4l.jpg

Excellent picture evidence of 96th. Only 86th and 77th-Lenox Hill hosp are left installation of bases. 

(yeah I said I'd do it tomorrow but I had time today to personally verify a few)

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

125 Street (4)(5)(6)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

34 St-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry SIR

(Thanks @Elloss & @Enjineer for your observations)

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

(yeah I said I'd do it tomorrow but I had time today to personally verify a few)

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

125 Street (4)(5)(6)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

34 St-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry SIR

(Thanks @Elloss & @Enjineer for your observations)

Wow so the Lexington Avenue Line is almost complete, they're doing this fast!

14 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

If they want to complete their stated goal of “system wide by the end of 2020” they need to bring an average of about 7 new stations online each week for the next 14 months.

Given how fast they installed them at 96th (quite literally put the mounts in overnight, all the turnstiles were done by the day after some mounts first appeared), it seems like it's not challenging installation. I assume the readers themselves are an even faster process to put on top of the mounts. They may also then just install readers/mounts in waves, and enable them in a similar manner (versus station by station)

3 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Given how fast they installed them at 96th (quite literally put the mounts in overnight, all the turnstiles were done by the day after some mounts first appeared), it seems like it's not challenging installation. I assume the readers themselves are an even faster process to put on top of the mounts. They may also then just install readers/mounts in waves, and enable them in a similar manner (versus station by station)

It's not challenging because most, if not all, stations already have the necessary infrastructure.

仮面ライダー can definitely see his 7 stations a week once full rollout begins.

29 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

It's not challenging because most, if not all, stations already have the necessary infrastructure.

仮面ライダー can definitely see her 7 stations a week once full rollout begins.

That’s assuming the full rollout process begins next week, there are no delays and massive stations like TSQ don’t take up too much time.

(PS. Read my signature)

46 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

Seem to be doing on average 1 per day.

Leaving out 86th Street/4th Av Brooklyn makes OMNY rather useless for S79 and S53 passengers.  

That's the one non-IRT station in Brooklyn that should take priority (in other words, done with the Brooklyn IRT -- which should also be done early into the wider rollout -- for cohesion).

Edited by Lex