OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

The East Side IRT is the clear pattern, but only northward.

It's nice they bothered with the two Penn Station subways, though most rail commuters who use them have Unlimited Metrocard, therefore OMNY is not of much use to them for now. 

Now time to put focus on the West Side IRT, Downtown Brooklyn (Metro-tech, Clark Street), Bay Ridge-86th Street and The Bronx stations. 

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse (4)(5)

149 Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

Fordham Road (4)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

34 St-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry SIR

Add 86th (4)(5)(6) to the list!

jyzmyVS.jpg

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

They have noted in the past heavy usage of OMNY by visitors. I think they said in the first few months they saw authorizations for transactions from over 80 different countries. Maybe that’s what they’re aiming for?

If accomodating visitors is a short term goal, then the following stops should also get the readers earlier IMO:

Sutphin (E) (for connection from JFK airtrain)

Howard Beach (A) (for connection from JFK airtrain)

Jackson Heights Roosevelt Ave / 74th St (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) and Q70 buses (for connection to and from Q70)

On 10/22/2019 at 5:34 PM, Amtrak41 said:

How many installation teams are there ?

I would not be surprised if there are two individual teams supporting this (physical) rollout. Typically, IT/Facilities do not cross crafts, as evident with the mounts installed without the screens.

My guess is one team comes into a station and installs the mounts and proper conduits, then another team installs the screens and attaches the devices to the network.

5 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

If accomodating visitors is a short term goal, then the following stops should also get the readers earlier IMO:

Sutphin (E) (for connection from JFK airtrain)

Howard Beach (A) (for connection from JFK airtrain)

Jackson Heights Roosevelt Ave / 74th St (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) and Q70 buses (for connection to and from Q70)

Given the uniqueness of the Howard Beach’s fare control set up, I would actually expect that station to be one of the last ones, since you have three different gate lines to worry about and three different fares, not to mention the PA and Bombardier standing over your shoulders.

Has there been much discussion on OMNY and AirTrain? I haven’t seen anything. Obviously they are going to do it, but I haven’t any mention of a timeline or anything.

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6) 

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6) 

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6) 

Fordham Road (4) 

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1) 

Chambers St (1)(2)(3) 

34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3) 

St George Ferry SIR

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It's a shame theres no timeline as to when the added readers will go into effect.

The OMNY brochures given out prior to the pilot launch in May said "additional stations in late 2019" and I believe someone at the MTA was quoted as saying there would be a 6 month pause in the rollout. Six months from May would be November, so I would guess week after Thanksgiving. 

74605607_10156819779848727_4948309234212

Just saw this on the MTA Memes Facebook group – Houston Street (1) now has OMNY mounts

Edit: someone on Discord told me 170th on the (4) also has mounts now as well. Don't have a pic but it would line up with stops like Fordham getting it. 

Edited by Enjineer

21 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

77th Street on the (6) is ready to install OMNY Readers. I noticed it this past Sunday.

77th was already mentioned.

However, following Bronx stations should be getting their bases soon: 161, 167, Mount Eden, Burnside, 176, 183, Bedford Park, Mosholou, Woodlawn. Than Franklin Avenue, Utica Ave. 

Question: For Downtown Brooklyn stations Nevins Street and Borough Hall. Those stations were installed during the first rollout in June- Correct? 

Edited by Future ENY OP
Bronx Additions

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

170 Street, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Blvd (4)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

Franklin St, Canal St, Houston St (1)

Chambers St, 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

St George Ferry SIR

Thanks again for your observations @Enjineer @danielhg121 @W4ST! Please keep them coming folks.

I'll continue to update this list until they go live and then I'll start a new one for the next phase of installs.

33 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

It does make sense for them to focus on the most used stations first.

Yes, but now we have Franklin S - Canal St - Houston St on the #1. They seem more focused on the IRT, not natural extensions like 86th / 4th Av Bklyn, or the busier 42nd St PABT 

3 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

Yes, but now we have Franklin S - Canal St - Houston St on the #1. They seem more focused on the IRT, not natural extensions like 86th / 4th Av Bklyn, or the busier 42nd St PABT 

That's literally a single station. It makes sense as far as connecting to Staten Island goes, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb once that's disregarded. (I'd still give it priority for Staten Island, but keep that in mind.)

Covering more of the IRT (the part of the subway OMNY started on) is far from an unnatural extension.

13 hours ago, Lex said:

That's literally a single station. It makes sense as far as connecting to Staten Island goes, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb once that's disregarded. (I'd still give it priority for Staten Island, but keep that in mind.)

Covering more of the IRT (the part of the subway OMNY started on) is far from an unnatural extension.

I will agree with you on this one. 86th and 4th should of been one of the stations targeted during the first rollout. Essentially a direct free transfer to and from the S53/79/93.