OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

My only question about having 86th for the SI buses is where are those riders heading to/coming from. Is it people who don’t want to take the ferry and can’t afford the Sims? (There is a terrible video game joke in there somewhere...) 

is it people being dispersed through southern Brooklyn?

quite honestly, they would probably have seen a higher number of users from launch if St. George was included in the pilot program.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2019 at 4:49 PM, Kamen Rider said:

My only question about having 86th for the SI buses is where are those riders heading to/coming from. Is it people who don’t want to take the ferry and can’t afford the Sims?

I don't know. But I wouid think people who are headed for mid-Manhattan, and  transfer off the R train somewhere along 4th Av for a Bridge train. The Express buses are too expensive, and they don't want to sweat out the Ferry or Whitehall Street/South Ferry and board a local 1 or R. . 

As of right now the following (4) stations have OMNY bases and or installation. 

Confirmed:  Woodlawn, Mosholou Parkway, 170, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Boulevard, 149, 138. 

NO: Mount Eden Avenue, 176, Burnside, 183, 161- Stadium, 167th. Those stations haven’t received as of yet and (4) line is not complete. 

Additional question: Will the (5) and (6) lines be next on the list in The Bronx?  Once the (4) is complete? 

Edited by Future ENY OP
Addition

And while I’m on the subject, even though the idea is to get the system installed within a year, I would think it would be a good idea if they had some sort of mark for every station once it was brought online or a way of letting people know they can use it at that stop.

i remember when Metrocard was created. Stations that accepted it were shown on the subway map highlighted, until install was completed.

18 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

Shouldn't the MTA OMNY website be maintained daily about progress for the general public ? They seem content to leave it frozen with their original launch date of last spring. 

I think they'll update it when more readers go online. So far they've yet to expand the actual coverage from the initial pilot; they've just been installing the bases

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse (4)(5)

149 Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

161 Street-Yankee Stadium (B)(D)(4)

170 Street, 176 Street, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Blvd, Moshulu Parkway, Woodlawn (4)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

Franklin St, Canal St, Houston St (1)

Chambers St, 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

34 St-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry SIR

On 11/5/2019 at 5:58 PM, Amtrak41 said:

Shouldn't the MTA OMNY website be maintained daily about progress for the general public ? They seem content to leave it frozen with their original launch date of last spring. 

I would expect that they'll update the OMNY website once all the stations for the next phase get their readers, which I don't know how many they'll be doing total (right now we're at 28) but I would expect it to be soon in the next few weeks as the 6 month pause would officially end November 30th.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I would expect that they'll update the OMNY website once all the stations for the next phase get their readers,

Exactly my thought – sure transparency is nice but just telling the public "we put those giant mounts at these stations" probably would just confuse people into thinking OMNY was being accepted at those stations, or that the mounts are different from OMNY. It's the most logical to update it when more readers come online. 

They need not report on mounts, but on the finished product., and they seem to be completing 1 or 2 stations per weekday.

Without reading this blog, which 99.99% of subway passengers do not , one would have no knowledge of any subway expansion beyond 42nd to Atlantic Av on the Lex. They are suppressing OMNY usage.

Only more frustrating is the glacial progress US banks are in producing Contactless cards, so Smartphones are 80% of the OMNY market.  

24 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

Without reading this blog, which 99.99% of subway passengers do not , one would have no knowledge of any subway expansion beyond 42nd to Atlantic Av on the Lex. They are suppressing OMNY usage.

I'm sure the MTA will update the list once the stations actually come online.

I'm honestly surprised that the (4) line was prioritized above everything else (even other Manhattan stations), but c'est la vie.

12 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Exactly my thought – sure transparency is nice but just telling the public "we put those giant mounts at these stations" probably would just confuse people into thinking OMNY was being accepted at those stations, or that the mounts are different from OMNY. It's the most logical to update it when more readers come online. 

Metro-North hasn't told anyone that they're installing contactless readers on their ticket machines either for basically the same reason (those will accept mobile app payments also IINM). You're right; the public should only be informed once the system is ready at their particular station.

Edited by paulrivera