OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

Some notes from the November 2019 CPOC board book

Rollout of OMNY readers resumes in December 2019 and continues until October 2020

Manhattan buses will start getting OMNY readers in 1st quarter of 2020

3 million taps so far

80% of usage is mobile wallet vs 20% contactless cards

On budget and on schedule 

All door bus boarding will be confirmed via a change order. Will work via a reader at each door

Next six months (besides what is listed above):

SBS pilot

New self service and account management features

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMNY installation list:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse (4)(5)

149 Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

161 Street-Yankee Stadium (B)(D)(4)

170 Street, 176 Street, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Blvd, Moshulu Parkway, Woodlawn (4)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

Franklin St, Canal St, Houston St (1)

Chambers St, 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

34 St-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry, Tompkinsville SIR

On 11/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Some notes from the November 2019 CPOC board book

Rollout of OMNY readers resumes in December 2019 and continues until October 2020

Manhattan buses will start getting OMNY readers in 1st quarter of 2020

3 million taps so far

80% of usage is mobile wallet vs 20% contactless cards

On budget and on schedule 

All door bus boarding will be confirmed via a change order. Will work via a reader at each door

Next six months (besides what is listed above):

SBS pilot

New self service and account management features

I'm 100% confident that this all door boarding SBS pilot will be the S79.

They can do this just like SBS enforcement is currently done. Everyone is required to present their proof of payment on random inspection. Just now the proof of payment is the card you tapped in with.

It just gets awkward if you pay with your smart device and it runs out of battery...

15 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

"All door" means just 2 doors. There are no artics on SI. How will the bus driver ensure that everyone boarding at the rear door has tapped without him/(her) being right there to watch  ? 

They said All Door Boarding SBS pilot. That will most likely be tested on the S79 because its the only SBS route that doesn't have the pay before you board feature. Also OMNY first started on Staten Island buses so that one SBS route will be the perfect pilot. How will they check for receipts? I have no idea with OMNY not fully implemented. 

14 hours ago, andreww said:

They can do this just like SBS enforcement is currently done. Everyone is required to present their proof of payment on random inspection. Just now the proof of payment is the card you tapped in with.

It just gets awkward if you pay with your smart device and it runs out of battery...

Just my thing is, if OMNY isn't fully implemented, how will they know who's paying what? 

Cubic tweeted on Friday that they just installed physical readers at South Ferry. Not active yet, but it's the actual screen + NFC component, so likely all the stations with mounts will start to get them leading up to (I presume) an activation of said stations in December. 

3 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Cubic tweeted on Friday that they just installed physical readers at South Ferry. Not active yet, but it's the actual screen + NFC component, so likely all the stations with mounts will start to get them leading up to (I presume) an activation of said stations in December. 

Oh very good!

From here on out I'll split the list into two sections: stations with bases and stations with readers installed on those bases.

Please keep your observations coming folks!

The book has been updated since I dowloaded it last. However i think, based on the original and current language in the book, the all door boarding will be done as an installation without a pilot. It says the change orders to accomodate ADB have been finalized. I am assuming the SBS pilot is separate, testing the fare inspection aspect (hardware, back office comms, etc). 

OMNY installation list:

Stations with the protruding base installed:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse (4)(5)

149 Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

161 Street-Yankee Stadium (B)(D)(4)

170 Street, 176 Street, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Blvd, Moshulu Parkway, Woodlawn (4)

Franklin St, Canal St, Houston St, Christopher St-Sheridan Sq (1)

Chambers St, 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

14 Street (7 Av) (1)(2)(3)(F)(L)(M)

59 Street-Columbus Circle (A)(B)(C)(D)(1)

34 Street-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry, Tompkinsville SIR

Stations with OMNY readers installed on the bases:

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

**UPDATE**

Sarah Meyer just confirmed the following stations will go live in December:

3 million OMNY taps and counting!! And coming in December, OMNY will be available at Penn Station, Whitehall, South Ferry, 86 Bay Ridge, Sutphin, SIR, 51st to 125 on 4,5,6, 138 to Woodlawn on 4, and Rector to 59 on the 1. Tap on.

6 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

**UPDATE**

Sarah Meyer just confirmed the following stations will go live in December:

3 million OMNY taps and counting!! And coming in December, OMNY will be available at Penn Station, Whitehall, South Ferry, 86 Bay Ridge, Sutphin, SIR, 51st to 125 on 4,5,6, 138 to Woodlawn on 4, and Rector to 59 on the 1. Tap on.

Yes! I can finally commute from Staten Island to class. But still no readers at 23rd St so I guess this will only be useful one way.

8 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

How are Burnside and 183 not included with the base installations?

Are you able to confirm that Burnside Avenue have bases and 183rd Street have bases? 

10 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Now we are going in the right direction with this. Bronx stations 🚉 plus Midtown, Downtown, Bay Ridge and Jamaica. I guess they do say patience is key and the (MTA) is addressing that.  

Hoping on the next rollout following key stations to be added: Metrotech (A)(C)(F)(R), Court Square (7)(E)(F)(G)(M), 125th & St. Nick  (A)(B)(C)(D), 125th and Lenox (2)(3), 72nd (2)(3)