OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

No. The last time I saw Burnside, I didn't see any indication that bases were installed there. I don't even think 183rd Street has it either.

Copy. Those are the last 2 stations for the (4) stops in The Bronx.. If the TA is smart finish out the (4) line in Brooklyn- South of Atlantic up to Utica Avenue. I wouldn’t be too concerned about up to New Lots. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Are you able to confirm that Burnside Avenue have bases and 183rd Street have bases? 

Now we are going in the right direction with this. Bronx stations 🚉 plus Midtown, Downtown, Bay Ridge and Jamaica. I guess they do say patience is key and the (MTA) is addressing that.  

Hoping on the next rollout following key stations to be added: Metrotech (A)(C)(F)(R), Court Square (7)(E)(F)(G)(M), 125th & St. Nick  (A)(B)(C)(D), 125th and Lenox (2)(3), 72nd (2)(3) 

We'll see what stations go live for January but they're already installing bases outside this next phase.

Saying “In December” comes across to me as a bit vague, since 11:59 on New Years Eve is as much December as 12:01 AM on the first.

that’s also assuming they are rolling all those stops out at once. 

And if they stick to thier usual method of (and correct me if I’m wrong about this) bringing an entire complex online at once, Times Square-PABT is going to be a LOT of work.

I did a test yesterday using OMNY with 3 different payment methods. I noticed a very slight difference in processing speed:

1. Contactless credit card took about a half second to process

2. Samsung pay with card activated took a little less than 1 second

3. Samsung pay transit mode (screen off) took slightly more than one second. 

Overall it is slightly slower than a successful metrocard swipe but none of that swipe again bs that we all know and love. Also it is hard to see the reader if you go all the way up to the turnstile arm while tapping, but the click of the unlocking arm and the traditional beep help a lot so not a big deal. 

On 11/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, JMGNYCTRANSIT said:

When the OMNY card comes out, Will there be a contactless limited use paper OMNY Ticket like the ones in Chicago with VENTRA, Atlanta with BREEZE and Miami with EASY?

Supposedly thats what will happen

13 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

I thought I read somewhere, but forgot where, that OMNY will allow 2 transfers rather than 1 with Metrocard. If that is so, does that mean Bus-Train-Bus can be done on one fare, or only means Train-Bus-Bus ? 

OMNY in theory could allow any number of transfers since the fare is calculated on a fare engine server. 

However the Metrocard currently has some 3 legged transfers programmed today

5 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

OMNY in theory could allow any number of transfers since the fare is calculated on a fare engine server. 

However the Metrocard currently has some 3 legged transfers programmed today

I think with NICE buses. But I am thinking of a trip like S79-subway-Q35, now 2 fares. 

OMNY installation list:

Stations with the protruding base installed:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

77 Street, 96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse (4)(5)

149 Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

161 Street-Yankee Stadium (B)(D)(E)

170 Street, 176 Street, Burnside Av, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Blvd, Moshulu Parkway, Woodlawn (4)

Franklin St, Canal St, Houston St, Christopher St-Sheridan Sq, 66 St-Lincoln Center (1)

Chambers St, 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

34 Street-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

St George Ferry, Tompkinsville SIR

Stations with OMNY readers installed on the bases:

Whitehall St (R) (W) (1)

14 Street (7 Av) (1)(2)(3)(F)(L)(M)

59 Street-Columbus Circle (A)(B)(C)(D)(1)

68 Street-Hunter College (6) 

OMNY installation list:

Stations with the protruding base installed:

51 Street (E)(M)(6)

59 Street (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)

96 Street, 103 Street, 110 Street, 116 Street (6)

86 Street, 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse (4)(5)

149 Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

161 Street-Yankee Stadium (B)(D)(4)

170 Street, 176 Street, Burnside Av, 183 Street, Fordham Road, Kingsbridge Road, Bedford Park Blvd, Moshulu Parkway, Woodlawn (4)

Franklin St, Canal St, Houston St, Christopher St-Sheridan Sq, 18 Street, 23 Street, 28 Street, 50 Street, 66 St-Lincoln Center (1)

Chambers St (1)(2)(3)

42 Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal (A)(C)(E)

86 Street (R)

St George Ferry, Tompkinsville SIR

Sutphin Blvd-Archer Avenue-JFK (E)(J)(Z)

Whitehall St (R)(W)(1)

14 Street (7 Av) (1)(2)(3)(F)(L)(M)

34 Street-Penn Station (A)(C)(E)

34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3)

59 Street-Columbus Circle (A)(B)(C)(D)(1)

68 Street-Hunter College, 77 Street (6) 

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

That escalated quickly. Wasnt there when I passed thru last Friday. 

On another random note, I am wondering how vanadal proof the system will be. I am guessing despite the big screen, it will be harder to damage the readers. 

I also remember seeing a twitter exchange that the readers are designed to work even if the screen is broken. 

5 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

That escalated quickly. Wasnt there when I passed thru last Friday. 

On another random note, I am wondering how vanadal proof the system will be. I am guessing despite the big screen, it will be harder to damage the readers. 

I also remember seeing a twitter exchange that the readers are designed to work even if the screen is broken. 

Yeah someone else told me two nights ago that the bases were being installed and last night someone posted a pic of one of the HEETs with the coming soon screen.

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This should help with the massive queue of:

1) Tourist/Visitors at the MVMs

2) Riders not knowing how to swipe metro cards.

Though, part of the issue is that there aren't enough turnstiles for busy times.

Also, there are queues leaving the south-west side of the station as (E) trains dump JFK passengers into the station. There are 3 slow elevators and one narrow up-Escalator to the street toward the Airtrain.

10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

This should help with the massive queue of:

1) Tourist/Visitors at the MVMs

2) Riders not knowing how to swipe metro cards.

Though, part of the issue is that there aren't enough turnstiles for busy times.

Also, there are queues leaving the south-west side of the station as (E) trains dump JFK passengers into the station. There are 3 slow elevators and one narrow up-Escalator to the street toward the Airtrain.

I feel like this has less to do with the MVMs themselves and more to do with the con artist that congregate around Sutphin-Archer and Jamaica Center trying to make a quick buck off of clueless tourists. 

It doesn't help that the LIRR above ground don't bother to tell their riders to connect to the subway, or even the Q44 Select Bus Service at Jamaica.