OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I was at 2 separate stations where the turnstile bank had at least one reader with a malfunctioning screen. Very unlikely due to vandalism. I purposely tried them to see what would happen

Fortunately the NFC and blue/green/red corner lights still worked properly and the taps worked the first time. 

I wonder why a screen was chosen as opposed to a dot matrix like we have now, especially considering the screen only shows reader status and a go no go tap result. Its just another point of failure to account for

On 12/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Today I was at 2 separate stations where the turnstile bank had at least one reader with a malfunctioning screen. Very unlikely due to vandalism. I purposely tried them to see what would happen

Fortunately the NFC and blue/green/red corner lights still worked properly and the taps worked the first time. 

I wonder why a screen was chosen as opposed to a dot matrix like we have now, especially considering the screen only shows reader status and a go no go tap result. Its just another point of failure to account for

Full color screens are far easier to read than dot matrix screens.

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Full color screens are far easier to read than dot matrix screens.

It probably also has something to do with New York's insatiable desire to see something new (*cough* subwayfan1998). To a degree I can sympathize with that, considering having to look at the same decrepit stations day after day can get tiring. I feel that if OMNY was implemented with current-standard LCDs it would put a damper on the media hype. Remember, you also have to buy over New Yorkers and convince them that this project is actually worth it. 

On 12/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, ibroketheprinter said:

It probably also has something to do with New York's insatiable desire to see something new (*cough* subwayfan1998). To a degree I can sympathize with that, considering having to look at the same decrepit stations day after day can get tiring. I feel that if OMNY was implemented with current-standard LCDs it would put a damper on the media hype. Remember, you also have to buy over New Yorkers and convince them that this project is actually worth it. 

Now we can enter the Chambers Street station via a lovely OMNY LED screen, then wait for a J train at the rat den and cesspool of of a station. 

Edited by Amtrak41

On 12/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Cubic is who is selling these, right?

The MTA as far as I am aware has wanted to get out of the business of custom-anything as much as possible to reduce costs, so if it's what Cubic's selling, the MTA is buying.

...or....the technology is cheap enough to warrant the LCD's, especially if you want to ever want to upgrade the displays to read beyond "GO". sounds like a solid move from my perspective.

11 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

the NYCT twitter has noted the local stations as far north as 191st on the 1 are online. seems they have yet to activate 72nd or 96th, and I'm getting conflicting reports about 168th.

I used OMNY at 72 St on Thursday. It’s definitely active.