OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh I can't wait for the day I don't swipe my card thinking it went through only to be struck by the turnstyle not moving...that is an enormous pain...

I tested it at 33 St (obviously it didn't accept), but it read my phone immediately. I think once they open it from employee-only testing to the general public at the end of May we'll be able to see just how nicely (or not nicely, but more likely nicely) tap-to-pay works. Also, I feel like we've all had the time when you've swiped, thought it went through, and gone to go through the turnstile and been whacked by the bar...

Edited by Enjineer

On 4/1/2019 at 8:42 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

Is the OMNY tap and go card also projected to spread to the Westchester Bee Line as well to replace the MetroCard there?

These devices will most likely not be in place until it is completely rolled out through the MTA network. OMNY will need to be fully interoperable at all stations for connecting customers before NICE/BL will be willing to put the payment system in place.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:33 PM, Union Tpke said:

I took this video today:

They're working now? Cool, I'll try it out whenever I pass through there. 

BTW, are there any plans for the general public to get their hands on an OMNY card if they don't have a phone or debit/credit card? 

22 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

BTW, are there any plans for the general public to get their hands on an OMNY card if they don't have a phone or debit/credit card? 

An OMNY card won't be out until much later on down the road... Perhaps a few years away...

On 4/22/2019 at 3:11 PM, TheNewYorkElevated said:

IIRC the current plan is MTA testing only.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

Why MetroCards are being Phased out? How does OMNY Vending Machines would have look?

1. Metrocards are an old, dead technology dating from the era of floppies, VHS and cassettes. The technology is dead and sourcing parts for it is getting extremely expensive.

2. No one knows.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

1. Metrocards are an old, dead technology dating from the era of floppies, VHS and cassettes. The technology is dead and sourcing parts for it is getting extremely expensive.

2. No one knows.

Metrocard was launced around 1993-1994 and it Metrocard replaced tokens around 2003. Floppies and VHS/Cassettes are from the 70's, CDs were introduced around 1982-1983, CDs are old and dead technology as the floppies and VHS/Cassettes are.

3 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Metrocard was launced around 1993-1994 and it Metrocard replaced tokens around 2003. Floppies and VHS/Cassettes are from the 70's, CDs were introduced around 1982-1983, CDs are old and dead technology as the floppies and VHS/Cassettes are.

...and the Metrocard is still old. Its time to move on to something more modern and convenient, especially when parts of the city are transit deserts.

4 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Magnetic stripes started production with IBM in 1971

I've noticed that instead of the black/blue "TEST PHASE ... COMING SOON" screen, some readers now display a yellow "METROCARD ONLY" screen, with an icon for a traditional mag-stripe MetroCard. Nothing happens when you try to use these readers; the tap function seems to be turned off completely. 

omny_testing.jpg

...whereas the ones that say "TEST PHASE ... COMING SOON" do seem to be enabled for certain kinds of internal testing. When I try my phone it does respond, but it doesn't work. I get this error message: 

omny_openpay.jpg