OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

After tackling the CBD, I’d rather they go for the high-usage outer borough stations to make OMNY useful. Those traveling between the CBD and outer boroughs are a large part of the market. The MTA could start with the inter-modal hub stations (with a lot of terminating/intersecting bus routes) like:

• Marcy Avenue
  • Jamaica *
  • Canarsie–Rockaway Parkway
  • Broadway Junction
  • Myrtle–Wyckoff Streets
  • Queens* Plaza
  • Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue
  • Kings Highway ((B)(Q))
  • Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College
  • 86 Street ((R))
  • Prospect Park
  • Crown Heights–Utica Avenue
  • Van Cortlandt Park–242 Street
  • Bedford Park Boulevard *
  • Norwood–205 Street
  • Fordham Road
  • Pelham Parkway
  • West Farms Square–East Tremont Av
  • Westchester Square–East Tremont Av
  • Pelham Bay Park
  • Parkchester
  • Simpson Street
  • Eastchester–Dyre Avenue
  • Nereid Avenue
  • Gun Hill Road
  • Hunts Point Avenue
  • 161 Street–Yankee Stadium
  • 3 Avenue–138 Street
  • 3 Avenue–149 Street
  • 149 Street–Grand Concourse
  • and all of the Downtown Brooklyn stations

Most of the stations on this list already have OMNY.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My prediction for the last station to get OMNY will be one of the Rockaway Park branch stations (either 90th, 98th or 105th) given that they see very little usage and are isolated from the rest of the system; however I would still see 116th get it before the other three as it does serve as a point of transfer and it does have some ridership draw to it.

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I feel like the (J) and (Z) lines will be last in general to have OMNY at all its stations. I can see Metropolitan Ave to Myrtle Ave-Broadway on the (M) getting it before all stations between Alabama Ave and 121street on the (J) . 

This whole area looks like it will be last. There's no sign of it anywhere; like it's not even being thought of. Trying to remember if we were among the last to get Metrocard.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

My prediction for the last station to get OMNY will be one of the Rockaway Park branch stations (either 90th, 98th or 105th) given that they see very little usage and are isolated from the rest of the system; however I would still see 116th get it before the other three as it does serve as a point of transfer and it does have some ridership draw to it.

This is my prediction as well.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well, we’re always the SH end of the stick. Name any other part of the system that requires two transfers to get to/from midtown overnight other than the Myrtle Ave line

I bet people would have been fighting right now to get the (M) back on 6th Ave during the weekends, but as we all know Coronavirus happened and halted everything. 
It is sad that the extension was only temporary because the (M) saw good usage and gave Broadway (Brooklyn) and Myrtle Ave direct weekend service to Midtown which is more useful than the (J) that goes downtown. 

4 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I honestly forgot about those stations. You actually might be right with that. Being that those stations do have low ridership, it makes me wonder if the MTA ever proposed to close those stations especially when it’s not beach season. 

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Name any other part of the system that requires two transfers to get to/from midtown overnight other than the Myrtle Ave line

The Dyre Avenue line when there's a GO on WPR.

In extreme cases, it takes three transfers ( (5) Dyre-180, (2) 180-3 Av, bus 3 Av-96 St and the (2) from there or 3 Av-Grand Concourse and the (4) from there.

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The Dyre Avenue line when there's a GO on WPR.

In extreme cases, it takes three transfers ( (5) Dyre-180, (2) 180-3 Av, bus 3 Av-96 St and the (2) from there or 3 Av-Grand Concourse and the (4) from there.

Yeah, during a GO, anywhere can be up that creek... I’m talking regular schedule. 

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I bet people would have been fighting right now to get the (M) back on 6th Ave during the weekends, but as we all know Coronavirus happened and halted everything. 
It is sad that the extension was only temporary because the (M) saw good usage and gave Broadway (Brooklyn) and Myrtle Ave direct weekend service to Midtown which is more useful than the (J) that goes downtown. 

What if the D ran local up 6th Avenue on weekends so that the M could relay at West 4th ? That would be an easier transfer to get to midtown, with little impact on the operating budget, perhaps one more train set.

96th Street is a long ways up, and they would also have to dispense with OPTO. That's all expensive.

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

4 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

What if the D ran local up 6th Avenue on weekends so that the M could relay at West 4th ? That would be an easier transfer to get to midtown, with little impact on the operating budget, perhaps one more train set.

96th Street is a long ways up, and they would also have to dispense with OPTO. That's all expensive.

I think the (D) should run entirely local in Manhattan on weekends. The stations on CPW especially see good usage on the weekends but is stuck with only 10-12 minute (C) service, while you have 2 express trains passing all stations in between 59th and 125th street. Whenever there is a G.O all trains may run local but that’s not all the time.

It’s either have the (D) run local or run more (C) service. I’m sure people might opt for more (C) service to keep Bronx trains running fast.

To answer you second point, it’s only expensive to the MTA because they don’t have money like that. I don’t think anyone can deny how useful a 3rd service on 6th Ave is on top of giving north Brooklyn direct midtown service. Yeah there is the (L) to whatever trains it connects to and yes you can always take the (J) to the (F) but it lacks the convenience that is there during the weekdays. Of course people have dealt with no (M) service even to Manhattan for years on the weekend when it only ran to Myrtle Ave-Broadway, but I think the goal should be how can we best serve our passengers instead of how we can save every last penny. Don’t get me wrong saving is good but I think a (M) extension will prove to be more beneficial and could help the MTA draw in more money. Plus the (M) could easily have 12 minute headways and call it a day because it definitely wouldn’t be as frequent as it was when the (L) was out.  

5 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

What if the D ran local up 6th Avenue on weekends so that the M could relay at West 4th ?

Why on earth would you do that? We're actively trying to get rid of merges not add new ones...

The only trains that should ever turn at West 4th are the Grand Street Shuttle during Manhattan Bridge G.O.s and the (J) if they were to do another Essex-Broad G.O. (to facilitate direct transfers to the (4)(6)(A)(C) to Lower Manhattan)

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think the (D) should run entirely local in Manhattan on weekends. The stations on CPW especially see good usage on the weekends but is stuck with only 10-12 minute (C) service, while you have 2 express trains passing all stations in between 59th and 125th street. Whenever there is a G.O all trains may run local but that’s not all the time.

It’s either have the (D) run local or run more (C) service. I’m sure people might opt for more (C) service to keep Bronx trains running fast.

To answer you second point, it’s only expensive to the MTA because they don’t have money like that. I don’t think anyone can deny how useful a 3rd service on 6th Ave is on top of giving north Brooklyn direct midtown service. Yeah there is the (L) to whatever trains it connects to and yes you can always take the (J) to the (F) but it lacks the convenience that is there during the weekdays. Of course people have dealt with no (M) service even to Manhattan for years on the weekend when it only ran to Myrtle Ave-Broadway, but I think the goal should be how can we best serve our passengers instead of how we can save every last penny. Don’t get me wrong saving is good but I think a (M) extension will prove to be more beneficial and could help the MTA draw in more money. Plus the (M) could easily have 12 minute headways and call it a day because it definitely wouldn’t be as frequent as it was when the (L) was out.  

Or just run the (B), the (D) is already as long as it is, we don't need to add MORE stations to it.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Why on earth would you do that? We're actively trying to get rid of merges not add new ones...

The only trains that should ever turn at West 4th are the Grand Street Shuttle during Manhattan Bridge G.O.s and the (J) if they were to do another Essex-Broad G.O. (to facilitate direct transfers to the (4)(6)(A)(C) to Lower Manhattan)

Because we run for the convenience of passengers not dispatchers. We are running trains not monorails.  If they cannot merge two 10-minute services together without delay, they need to go. W4th would be an easier transfer for people than Essex to get to the F train. 

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

Because we run for the convenience of passengers not dispatchers. We are running trains not monorails.  If they cannot merge two 10-minute services together without delay, they need to go. W4th would be an easier transfer for people than Essex to get to the F train. 

That's probably worse than even 59th Street or Rogers, and those two suffer from inherently poor design that drastically cuts their efficiency.

I just realized that the thread is getting sidetracked. Maybe we should continue this elsewhere.

Edited by Lex

Here's my list (which I think is up to date)

Active sections with OMNY:

South Ferry to 96 Street (1)(2)(3)

103 Street to 242 St-Van Cortlandt Park (1)

Central Park North-110 St to Harlem-148 St (2)(3)

Franklin Avenue, Atlantic Ave-Barclays Center to 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse to Woodlawn (4)

3 Av-149 St to Wakefield-241 Street (2)(5)

3 Av-138 St to Pelham Bay Park (6)

34 Street-Hudson Yards to Flushing-Main St (7)

Jay Street-MetroTech to 59 Street-Columbus Circle (A)(C)(E)

West 4 Street to 47-50 Streets Rockefeller Center (B)(D)(F)(M)

7 Avenue (B)(D)(E)

59 Street-Columbus Circle to 145 Street (A)(B)(C)(D)

155 Street to Inwood-207 Street (A)(C)

Hoyt-Schermerhorn to Euclid Av (A)(C)

Howard Beach-JFK (A)

Sutphin Blvd-Archer Avenue-JFK (E)(J)(Z)

York Street, Lexington Av-63 St (F)

Cortlandt Street, 8 Street-NYU to 49 Street, 5 Av-59 St (R)(W)

Queensboro Plaza to 30 Av, Astoria-Ditmars Blvd (N)(W)

72 Street to 96 Street (Q)

86 Street (R)

Franklin Avenue to Prospect Park (S)

St George Ferry, Tompkinsville SIR

I find mine a little clearer (number of non-OMNY stations remaining)

(1) All Stations 

(2) 241st Street to Atlantic Ave, Franklin Ave (10 Stations) 

(3) 148th Street to Atlantic Ave, Franklin Ave (13 Stations) 

(4) Woodlawn to Franklin Ave  (1 Station) 

(5) Dyre Ave to Franklin Ave   (7 Stations) 

(6) All Stations  

(7) All Stations 

(S) 42nd St All Stations (line not in service)   

(A) 207th Street to Euclid Ave, Howard Beach-JFK (20 Stations)

(C) All Stations 

(E) Sutphin Blvd-JFK, Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Court Square to Lexington Ave/53rd Street, 7th ave to World Trade Center   (7 Stations) 

(B) 161st Street-Yankee Stadium, 145th Street to Broadway-Lafayette Street, Atlantic Ave, Prospect Park   (17 Stations)  

(D) 161st Street-Yankee Stadium, 145th Street to Broadway-Lafayette Street, Atlantic Ave  (25 stations) 

(F) Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Lexington Ave-63rd St, 47-50th streets to Broadway-Lafayette Street, York St to Jay Street-Metro Tech  (34 Stations)  

(M) Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Court Square to Lexington Ave/53rd Street, 47-50th streets to Broadway-Lafayette Street (26 Stations)  

(G) Court Square, Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets,   (19 Stations) 

(L) 8th Ave to Union Square, Broadway Junction  (20 stations) 

(N) Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, 30th Avenue to 5th Ave/59th street, 49th Street to Atlantic Ave  (13 Stations) 

(Q) 96th Street-2nd Ave to Lexington Ave-63rd St, Times Square-42nd Street to Canal street, Atlantic Ave, Prospect Park  (19 Stations)  

(R) Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Lexington Ave/59th street to 5th Ave/59th Street , 49th Street to 8th Street-NYU, Canal St, Cortlandt St, Whitehall St-South Ferry to Jay St-Metro Tech, Atlantic ave, 86th Street,   (28 Stations) 

(W) Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, 30th Avenue to 5th Ave/59th street, 49th Street to 8th Street-NYU, Canal St, Cortlandt St, Whitehall St-South Ferry  (4 Stations)  

(J)/(Z) Fulton St to Canal St, Broadway Junction Sutphin, Blvd-JFK  (25 stations)

(S) Franklin All stations.

(S) Rockaway none  (5 Station)

There is a good amount of info in this month's capital program committee book

One tidbit is that there will no longer be a virtual OMNY card (one that can be loaded into Apple or Google Pay and used in lieu of a physical OMNY card or other payment card). 

I wonder if that feature would have been used much anyway given contactless and mobile wallet (credit/debit) capabilities. Also the fact that a time based pass will be able to be accessed with any payment instrument linked to an OMNY account

https://new.mta.info/document/17896

7 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

There is a good amount of info in this month's capital program committee book

One tidbit is that there will no longer be a virtual OMNY card (one that can be loaded into Apple or Google Pay and used in lieu of a physical OMNY card or other payment card). 

I wonder if that feature would have been used much anyway given contactless and mobile wallet (credit/debit) capabilities. Also the fact that a time based pass will be able to be accessed with any payment instrument linked to an OMNY account

https://new.mta.info/document/17896

What page is that on? Maybe I glossed over that specific point.

One way I could see the digital card being handy is for TransitChek; it'd reduce the need to physically issue cards.

14 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

What page is that on? Maybe I glossed over that specific point.

One way I could see the digital card being handy is for TransitChek; it'd reduce the need to physically issue cards.

Page 14 of 76. 

Using transit debit cards (funded by pre tax dollars)  which do not currently support being added to digital wallets, I think was going to be the best use case here. Similar to the Hop Fastpass app by TriMet (Oregon).

Either they're not taking those use cases into consideration, consider it a small enough group not to matter, or are expecting transit card providers (Benefit Resource Inc., Wage Works) to release/update/add-support-for-existing debit cards which will work with the digital wallets. This could put some pressure on them to do so. Just tried to add WageWorks Commuter Card (debit) to Wallet now, to make sure, and its still not supported.

I think the use case was going to be those who wanted a digital only card. Again given that contactless credit and debit cards will later be able to be linked to an OMNY account, the digital only card doesnt make sense

Speaking from experience, the digital card wouldnt offer any advantage to transit benefit users like myself. 

The future accomodations for transit benefits will probably be some combination of the following, based on other transit agencies' setups (in my opinion)

1. Direct administrator load to OMNY account, with the user possibly having to get an OMNY card if they want one.  Remember that registered users will have balances and products in an account, not (just) a card. (Like PATH, DC Metro, Chicago)

2. Use of existing TB debit cards to load accounts online (like Easypay Metrocard but better) or at a vending machine

3. Contactless TB debit cards that can be associated with an OMNY account or used for pay per ride, both scenarios the card is used directly at OMNY readers

4. (Unlikely) distribution of OMNY cards by the administrator that come loaded with value or time, much like today's metrocards.