OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

Your Monday OMNY update...

ADD:

Prince Street

city hall

Rector Street

only 57th Street and Astoria Blvd stand in the way of the W being complete.

And this Week’s “out of left field” addition is...

Bedford Park Blvd and 155th on the Concourse Line

Edited by Kamen Rider

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/21/2020 at 5:14 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I think the use case was going to be those who wanted a digital only card. Again given that contactless credit and debit cards will later be able to be linked to an OMNY account, the digital only card doesnt make sense

Speaking from experience, the digital card wouldnt offer any advantage to transit benefit users like myself. 

The future accomodations for transit benefits will probably be some combination of the following, based on other transit agencies' setups (in my opinion)

1. Direct administrator load to OMNY account, with the user possibly having to get an OMNY card if they want one.  Remember that registered users will have balances and products in an account, not (just) a card. (Like PATH, DC Metro, Chicago)

2. Use of existing TB debit cards to load accounts online (like Easypay Metrocard but better) or at a vending machine

3. Contactless TB debit cards that can be associated with an OMNY account or used for pay per ride, both scenarios the card is used directly at OMNY readers

4. (Unlikely) distribution of OMNY cards by the administrator that come loaded with value or time, much like today's metrocards. 

An OMNY-only card does make sense for those who don't have a bank account, nor a credit card, or simply don't want to the risk of flashing their debit or credit card around in public. MTA cannot require you to have a bank account or smartphone to use the system.

1 minute ago, Amtrak41 said:

An OMNY-only card does make sense for those who don't have a bank account, nor a credit card, or simply don't want to the risk of flashing their debit or credit card around in public.

That’s really one of the advantages of using a smartphone wallet since it essentially adds a second factor to authenticate transactions. iPhones have the bonus feature of being rendered useless when stolen. I don’t really know anyone without a smartphone or anyone who’d leave the home without any method of communication. However, a separate OMNY card would be useful still as many lower end smartphones do not have the hardware capability to act as a wallet.

If poor enough to be unbanked, they may also be too poor to have a Smartphone and pay for Data. I have plenty of senior relatives who love their Jitterbug dumb phone, and if given a Smartphone, wouldn't know how to use its features, and will never got on-line with it. 

28 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

If poor enough to be unbanked, they may also be too poor to have a Smartphone and pay for Data. I have plenty of senior relatives who love their Jitterbug dumb phone, and if given a Smartphone, wouldn't know how to use its features, and will never got on-line with it. 

I have folks who are banked, relatively well-off, and have smartphones. But they are deathly afraid of technology. They have yet to figure out how to install an app, much less learn how to use a brand new one. They still demand paper statements and print out e-mails. Nothing will comfort them other than something physical they can hold in their hands.

(If you’re a doomsday prepper, on the other hand, you also have a reason to favor physical tokens—like gold, coffee beans, or whiskey—over electronic ones—like Bitcoins. But that’s an entirely different topic outside the scope of public transportation.)

Edited by CenSin

On 6/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

There is a good amount of info in this month's capital program committee book

One tidbit is that there will no longer be a virtual OMNY card (one that can be loaded into Apple or Google Pay and used in lieu of a physical OMNY card or other payment card). 

I wonder if that feature would have been used much anyway given contactless and mobile wallet (credit/debit) capabilities. Also the fact that a time based pass will be able to be accessed with any payment instrument linked to an OMNY account

https://new.mta.info/document/17896

Huh. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this statement: 

"Virtual OMNY Card will not be deployed. Similar functionality is accessible in commercial digital wallets." 

At first glance, I took it to mean that you'll no longer be able to put an OMNY card in your Apple Wallet or Google Pay wallet. That they'd rely solely on the "Time Based Linked products" instead. 

But another interpretation is that they've ditched some relatively proprietary solution they were working on (perhaps as a part of the OMNY app), in favor of the more-standardized transit pass solutions offered by Apple and Google for their digital wallet products. 

Edited by rbrome

15 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

An OMNY-only card does make sense for those who don't have a bank account, nor a credit card, or simply don't want to the risk of flashing their debit or credit card around in public. MTA cannot require you to have a bank account or smartphone to use the system.

14 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

There will be a physical OMNY card available. No one will be forced to use a contactless bank card or smartphone. Such card could be loaded online or with cash/debit/credit when rplacement vending machines and retail networks are rolled out. It will not be necessary to have an online account either. 

Look at how London's Oyster network is set up, ours will be almost exactly the same, but with no exit fare or capping. 

11 hours ago, rbrome said:

Huh. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this statement: 

"Virtual OMNY Card will not be deployed. Similar functionality is accessible in commercial digital wallets." 

At first glance, I took it to mean that you'll no longer be able to put an OMNY card in your Apple Wallet or Google Pay wallet. That they'd rely solely on the "Time Based Linked products" instead. 

But another interpretation is that they've ditched some relatively proprietary solution they were working on (perhaps as a part of the OMNY app), in favor of the more-standardized transit pass solutions offered by Apple and Google for their digital wallet products. 

That's how I read it too at first but your point makes more sense. Some other transit agencies currently allow for their card to be set up in Google and/or Apple pay. 

ADD

Fordham Road

182-183rd streets

170th Street 

the two stations on ether side of 170th stand between two things.

Firstly the B and D being complete north of Broadway-Lafayette and secondly the entire system in Manhattan and the Bronx north of 59th street being online. 

apparently 57th Street is not on their to-do list, which means if they don’t bring it and Astoria Blvd on-line in the next 25 hours, ether they have failed the June list or the person in charge of that part of the site need a serious talking to because they’ve been online for days.

Current status

(1) All Stations

(2) 241st Street to Bergen St, Franklin Ave to Newkirk Ave (3 Stations) 

(3) 148th Street to Bergan St, Franklin Ave (12 Stations) 

(4) Woodlawn to Franklin Ave (1 Station) 

(5) Dyre Ave to Newkirk Ave (1 Station) 

(6) All Stations  

(7) All Stations 

(S) 42nd St All Stations (line not in service)  

(A) 207th Street to Euclid Ave, Howard Beach-JFK (20 Stations) 

(C) All Stations 

(E) Sutphin Blvd-JFK, Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Court Square to Lexington Ave/53rd Street, 7th ave to World Trade Center (7 Stations) 

(B) Bedford Park Blvd to Broadway-Lafayette Street, Atlantic Ave, Prospect Park (8 Stations)  

(D) Norwood-205th St to Broadway-Lafayette Street, Atlantic Ave (15 stations)  

(F) Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Lexington Ave-63rd St, 47-50th streets to Broadway-Lafayette Street, York St to Jay Street-Metro Tech (34 Stations)  

(M) Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Court Square to Lexington Ave/53rd Street, 47-50th streets to Broadway-Lafayette Street (26 Stations)    

(G) Court Square, Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets, (19 Stations)

(L) 8th Ave to Union Square, Broadway Junction (20 stations) 

(N) Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, 30th Avenue to 5th Ave/59th street, 49th Street to Atlantic Ave  (13 Stations)

(Q) 96th Street-2nd Ave to Lexington Ave-63rd St, Times Square-42nd Street to Canal street, Atlantic Ave, Prospect Park (19 Stations) 

(R) Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, Lexington Ave/59th street to 5th Ave/59th Street, 49th Street to Jay St-Metro Tech, Atlantic ave, 86th Street, (25 Stations) 

(W) Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, 30th Avenue to 5th Ave/59th street, 49th Street to Cortlandt St, Whitehall St-South Ferry  (2 Stations)  

(J) / (Z) Fulton St to Canal St, Broadway Junction Sutphin, Blvd-JFK  (25 stations)  

(S) Franklin All stations.

(S) Rockaway none  (5 Station)

Edited by Kamen Rider