November list is up-

Remainder of the (A) from Rockaway Blvd to Lefferts/Far Rockaway

Crosstown (G)

4th Ave (D)(N)(R)

West End (D) 36th St-79th St , Bay 50th St

Remaining for December -

Remainder of West End 

Sea Beach (N)

Oh wow, now they're hitting West End, it wasn't like I cared anyways. I find it very strange how they only go up to 79th St and then skips the 4 other stops, 18th Av, 20th Av, Bay Parkway, and 25th Av, and goes straight to Bay 50th St, its not like those stops are also just as important and doesn't run above 86th St where it's a major market place or anything.

Edited by Vulturious

Just now, Vulturious said:

Oh wow, now they're hitting West End, it wasn't like I cared anyways. I find it very strange how they only go up to 79th St and then skips the 4 other stops, 18th Av, 20th Av, Bay Parkway, and 25th Av, and goes straight to Bay 50th St, its not like those stops are also just as important and doesn't run above 86th St where it's a major market place or anything.

I don't know what's with the endless complaining. The plan was always to install OMNY in stages, and I'm sure they have their reasons why they're doing it this way.  Regardless of the order, the project remains on-time.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know what's with the endless complaining. The plan was always to install OMNY in stages, and I'm sure they have their reasons why they're doing it this way.  Regardless of the order, the project remains on-time.

Never said I was complaining, I said I find it very strange, but do keep assuming.

Never said I was complaining, I said I find it very strange, but do keep assuming.

You're clearly complaining about the order in which they're installing them.

It's not like those stops are also just as important and doesn't run above 86th St where it's a major market place or anything.

They'll get to them. Just calm down.

You're clearly complaining about the order in which they're installing them.

They'll get to them. Just calm down.

I am, I actually find it hilarious how you keep assuming I'm not calm. Again:

it wasn't like I cared anyways. I find it very strange

I am, I actually find it hilarious how you keep assuming I'm not calm. Again:

The point is whoever can't use OMNY will keep using a Metrocard until OMNY is installed, and as I said, in speaking with the (MTA) , they continue to state that the project is on-time. It's call prioritizing based on the schedule they have. Their main focus is ensuring that the readers are reliable and secure. 

The point is whoever can't use OMNY will keep using a Metrocard until OMNY is installed, and as I said, in speaking with the (MTA) , they continue to state that the project is on-time. It's call prioritizing based on the schedule they have. Their main focus is ensuring that the readers are reliable and secure. 

Well thank you for the information good sir, even though I said I couldn't care, at least there isn't anymore assumptions. Actually, now that has gotten me curious, how will the OMNY cards look like, something similar to the Metrocards?

Well thank you for the information good sir, even though I said I couldn't care, at least there isn't anymore assumptions. Actually, now that has gotten me curious, how will the OMNY cards look like, something similar to the Metrocards?

One example... 

tap-and-go-subway-NYC-untapped-cities9.j

https://untappedcities.com/2019/05/31/new-contactless-payment-system-launches-today-in-the-nyc-subway/

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know its only a sample render but i would be surprised if the future OMNY cards are on the Visa/Mastercard network , given that Chicago did that at first then dumped the wallet part of Ventra. 

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The cards are indeed not on the Mastercard network AFAIK

The point wasn't about that but to provide an idea of what they will look like. I mean I don't know why this is such a big deal. Tap and go was tested here years ago using a debit or credit card. Same concept. The card will need to be wireless and will look something like the card shown (black and white).

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The point wasn't about that but to provide an idea of what they will look like. I mean I don't know why this is such a big deal. Tap and go was tested here years ago using a debit or credit card. Same concept. The card will need to be wireless and will look something like the card shown (black and white).

I was just responding to the post above mine that's all.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:56 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I know its only a sample render but i would be surprised if the future OMNY cards are on the Visa/Mastercard network , given that Chicago did that at first then dumped the wallet part of Ventra. 

I think MTA should have come out with a OMNY card first, not last, since so many banks in the US are dragging their feet and not distributing Contactless cards, debit or credit. 

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

I think MTA should have come out with a OMNY card first, not last, since so many banks in the US are dragging their feet and not distributing Contactless cards, debit or credit. 

Hence why they didn't limit it to cards...

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Hence why they didn't limit it to cards...

It was probably easier to do the reader setup and activation first, since new vending machines need to be procured a nd a new retail distribution network estabished in the meantime. 

The majority of NY area banks now have contactless credit and debit cards, with OMNY being cited as the main driver (pre pandemic of course). Even then mobile wallets are ubiquitous and cash is still an option. 

This isnt like the 90s/00s where contactless credit/debit and smartphones didnt exist yet (like when Oyster was implemented in London starting in 03, contactless credit/debit rolled out there in 2014 or so) 

23 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Might've been answered earlier, but if you use your ATM card to tap in, does the system remember that card for transfers, or do you need to get a paper one from bus drivers?

Yes, I use a debit card and have transferred from express bus to express bus, and express bus to subway. I have not been able to get it to work with my phone though, even though I have the same card linked that I use to tap with. Some people have reported it being rather picky on that end. With my card, I simply hold it over the reader until it says "GO". I like that you don't have to touch anything, especially with COVID. However, sometimes it says "GO" but does not charge me. Of late it has worked fine though. Once it "recouped" the charge the next time I used it (gave me an error message and then charged me for my tap then and recouped the tap from the previous time I used it). Note though that any new card you use will initially have a pending charge of $2.75 on it, which either falls off, or is refunded to you in addition to whatever method you are paying for (bus, subway or express bus). I actually remember using this years ago I think on the M14 or at least seeing it, so it is kind not new technology. They had the readers on some buses as a pilot and then pulled them. We're talking a good six plus years ago IIRC.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, I use a debit card and have transferred from express bus to express bus, and express bus to subway. I have not been able to get it to work with my phone though, even though I have the same card linked that I use to tap with. Some people have reported it being rather picky on that end. With my card, I simply hold it over the reader until it says "GO". I like that you don't have to touch anything, especially with COVID. However, sometimes it says "GO" but does not charge me. Of late it has worked fine though. Once it "recouped" the charge the next time I used it (gave me an error message and then charged me for my tap then and recouped the tap from the previous time I used it). Note though that any new card you use will initially have a pending charge of $2.75 on it, which either falls off, or is refunded to you in addition to whatever method you are paying for (bus, subway or express bus). I actually remember using this years ago I think on the M14 or at least seeing it, so it is kind not new technology. They had the readers on some buses as a pilot and then pulled them. We're talking a good six plus years ago IIRC.

I believe that that your card is charged every day or so - not every time you use it.  So, if you use your card six times in one day,  it all gets combined into one charge.  That's the way it's done with other digital services (like Apple's App Store).

While we're on the subject, I've seen mention on this forum about the MTA "elevating" to a capped fare system. While I think I prefer the idea of an "unlimited" pre-pay option, I can see the benefit of capping.  My question is this: why haven't they trialed fare capping during the build out?  I'm sure that by now there are people that can do their entire commute with OMNY.  Why not ask for volunteers beforehand?  I'm sure that there would be a few folks out there that wouldn't mind being a guinea pig in exchange for a  participation trophy (like a limited edition "OMNY Tester" enamel pin or patch or whatever).  In fact, once the Queens buses are enabled, give me a ring.

For all we know, capping could even be enabled in the system right now.  It's not like anyone would complain that they weren't charged enough for riding the subway.