OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

23 minutes ago, BillAv said:

I believe that that your card is charged every day or so - not every time you use it.  So, if you use your card six times in one day,  it all gets combined into one charge.  That's the way it's done with other digital services (like Apple's App Store).

While we're on the subject, I've seen mention on this forum about the MTA "elevating" to a capped fare system. While I think I prefer the idea of an "unlimited" pre-pay option, I can see the benefit of capping.  My question is this: why haven't they trialed fare capping during the build out?  I'm sure that by now there are people that can do their entire commute with OMNY.  Why not ask for volunteers beforehand?  I'm sure that there would be a few folks out there that wouldn't mind being a guinea pig in exchange for a  participation trophy (like a limited edition "OMNY Tester" enamel pin or patch or whatever).  In fact, once the Queens buses are enabled, give me a ring.

For all we know, capping could even be enabled in the system right now.  It's not like anyone would complain that they weren't charged enough for riding the subway.

That's incorrect. I am charged each time I use it where I am not transferring, so long as the reader works. You believe... Have you actually used OMNY regularly, or are you just speculating? Most of my issues came from buggy or non-working OMNY readers. I've had three or four bad readers so far. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You believe... Have you actually used OMNY regularly, or are you just speculating?

I'm probably misremembering.  I used it a couple of times when 42nd Street and 8th was activated, and a handful of times when my monthly MetroCard expired.  It's been several months since I used OMNY  **Scratches head**  OK, pulled up my records; used it ten times - ten separate charges.  You're right.

6 minutes ago, BillAv said:

I'm probably misremembering.  I used it a couple of times when 42nd Street and 8th was activated, and a handful of times when my monthly MetroCard expired.  It's been several months since I used OMNY  **Scratches head**  OK, pulled up my records; used it ten times - ten separate charges.  You're right.

Yeah the (MTA) wants their money ASAP. Capping the charges to a few a day wouldn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Might've been answered earlier, but if you use your ATM card to tap in, does the system remember that card for transfers, or do you need to get a paper one from bus drivers?

Yes the system remembers the card your used before and it will be a transfer and it will just say "GO". You have to check your OMNY account to it will say $0.00.

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Interesting. All of my trips show up, though I'm confused by Q1 and Q2. The others say BxM1 and BxM2 or show the subway station I used. Q1 and Q2 must be BxM1 and BxM2.

Yes I have created an OMNY account.  It only shows 90 days of your only.

"Can I see MetroCard activity in my personalized dashboard?

MetroCard and OMNY are two separate systems, so it is not possible to view MetroCard activity in your personalized dashboard. One primary difference between MetroCard and OMNY is that OMNY is an account-based system. An OMNY account gives you access to a secure, personalized dashboard, where you can view up to 90 days of your trips and charges, manage your payment methods, dispute charges, manage account notifications, ask questions to OMNY customer service representatives, and more."

Taken from https://omny.info/faq/account-management

13 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Yes I have created an OMNY account.  It only shows 90 days of your only.

"Can I see MetroCard activity in my personalized dashboard?

MetroCard and OMNY are two separate systems, so it is not possible to view MetroCard activity in your personalized dashboard. One primary difference between MetroCard and OMNY is that OMNY is an account-based system. An OMNY account gives you access to a secure, personalized dashboard, where you can view up to 90 days of your trips and charges, manage your payment methods, dispute charges, manage account notifications, ask questions to OMNY customer service representatives, and more."

Taken from https://omny.info/faq/account-management

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm only talking about my trips where I used OMNY. You can view your trips up to 12 months.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm only talking about my trips where I used OMNY. You can view your trips up to 12 months.

Oh that's different I see.  The reason why I said about 90 days is because that is when you go to the FAQ OMNY account  it says that.  I didn't know you can view your trips up to 1 years. Thanks for the heads up.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Tap & Go still sucks with the phone. I have tried two different cards on my phone and no dice with the OMNY reader. The driver even tried tapping with his own card and no dice.

OK that means nothing is perfect.  Then the MTA has to fix that or it might be the "sensitivity"  with card reader. That means there still "glitches" in the system.  In that case you should get a "free ride".  I guess this is like the equivalent of the "fare box is broken".🙂 

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

OK that means nothing is perfect.  Then the MTA has to fix that or it might be the "sensitivity"  with card reader. That means there still "glitches" in the system.  In that case you should get a "free ride".  I guess this is like the equivalent of the "fare box is broken".🙂 

Yeah it is. The rate in which OMNY works even with a wireless card has been pretty pathetic though.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:24 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Interesting. All of my trips show up, though I'm confused by Q1 and Q2. The others say BxM1 and BxM2 or show the subway station I used. Q1 and Q2 must be BxM1 and BxM2.

Oh that glitch. 😂 I tapped on the M1 and M3 on various occasions, and had it show up on my account as "Q101" "Q103" and the day I used it on the Subway at 96 Street, it later came up as "R254." You'll most likely keep coming across those glitches as I have, but in regards to the mobile wallet, I am unsure of your device or setup, but make sure your card doesn't require verification from your bank to be used on your mobile wallet, and when you're tapping make sure you get the area of your phone with the NFC Chip closer to the reader. I use my iPhone and Apple Watch more than I've used my contactless card and it's performed decently, so I haven't yet experienced issues on that end.

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

Oh that glitch. 😂 I tapped on the M1 and M3 on various occasions, and had it show up on my account as "Q101" "Q103" and the day I used it on the Subway at 96 Street, it later came up as "R254." You'll most likely keep coming across those glitches as I have, but in regards to the mobile wallet, I am unsure of your device or setup, but make sure your card doesn't require verification from your bank to be used on your mobile wallet, and when you're tapping make sure you get the area of your phone with the NFC Chip closer to the reader. I use my iPhone and Apple Watch more than I've used my contactless card and it's performed decently, so I haven't yet experienced issues on that end.

I use an Android and my cards have been verified in advance on my phone. I have asked the (MTA) if they can provide me with  a report of the percentage of iPhone users vs Android users for OMNY because everyone that uses OMNY with their phone seems to overwhelmingly use an iPhone. For whatever reason, things that are created by the (MTA) seem to be more iPhone friendly. I have an iPad but that cannot be used with OMNY. The same cards I use on my phone, I use with OMNY, so I know they work. Even the wireless card I use is sometimes iffy. It says "GO" but does not charge me. The issue with the phone isn't that it doesn't tap. It shows that it taps on the phone, but I still get an error message from the reader telling me that the transaction didn't go through and to try again. Today, the driver called himself being cute to try to show me that see you're an idiot and don't know how tap, so he had the nerve to pull out his wireless card and tap it. Well guess what happened? He got the same error message I did.

36 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I use an Android and my cards have been verified in advance on my phone. I have asked the (MTA) if they can provide me with  a report of the percentage of iPhone users vs Android users for OMNY because everyone that uses OMNY with their phone seems to overwhelmingly use an iPhone. For whatever reason, things that are created by the (MTA) seem to be more iPhone friendly. I have an iPad but that cannot be used with OMNY. The same cards I use on my phone, I use with OMNY, so I know they work. Even the wireless card I use is sometimes iffy. It says "GO" but does not charge me. The issue with the phone isn't that it doesn't tap. It shows that it taps on the phone, but I still get an error message from the reader telling me that the transaction didn't go through and to try again. Today, the driver called himself being cute to try to show me that see you're an idiot and don't know how tap, so he had the nerve to pull out his wireless card and tap it. Well guess what happened? He got the same error message I did.

I’ll add that my gf taps about twice a day (iPhone) and hasn’t encountered any issues (but 1 experience in several million). I’ve even gotten her (with express transit enabled) used to not waking the device or using Touch ID.

I’ve had similar success as well (iPhone + Apple Watch), but I have a transit debit card (wageworks) which unlike BRI (with prior employer), doesn’t yet support mobile wallets and hasn’t issued a contactless card.

Might your issue be due to software/firmware? and if so, are you on the latest Android release available for your device? (not rooted/etc - I’ve heard/read that could mess with mobile wallets).

25 minutes ago, rwes said:

I’ll add that my gf taps about twice a day (iPhone) and hasn’t encountered any issues (but 1 experience in several million). I’ve even gotten her (with express transit enabled) used to not waking the device or using Touch ID.

I’ve had similar success as well (iPhone + Apple Watch), but I have a transit debit card (wageworks) which unlike BRI (with prior employer), doesn’t yet support mobile wallets and hasn’t issued a contactless card.

Might your issue be due to software/firmware? and if so, are you on the latest Android release available for your device? (not rooted/etc - I’ve heard/read that could mess with mobile wallets).

I'm not sure, but I definitely receive confirmation that the card is ready to use for tap and go on the Android. I get an e-mail and everything and I don't see anything else that needs to be done to allow it to work with OMNY.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Lol to the Driver, (MTA) should release stats specifying the device types that are used on OMNY, I use my iPhone/Apple Watch because with my contactless card there is sort of a little delay and you have to take a bit more time to tap, as opposed to my phone where I don't even have to hover for half a second and it reads my card. On the BxM6 I did experience a passenger having trouble getting his contactless card read by the OMNY reader, Idk if it is something to do with frequency or in the case of your phone firmware/hardware or anything of that sort. I have encountered OOS readers, so it would be good for you to bring that issue up.

5 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Lol to the Driver, (MTA) should release stats specifying the device types that are used on OMNY, I use my iPhone/Apple Watch because with my contactless card there is sort of a little delay and you have to take a bit more time to tap, as opposed to my phone where I don't even have to hover for half a second and it reads my card. On the BxM6 I did experience a passenger having trouble getting his contactless card read by the OMNY reader, Idk if it is something to do with frequency or in the case of your phone firmware/hardware or anything of that sort. I have encountered OOS readers, so it would be good for you to bring that issue up.

Yeah, I met a good chunk of the Customer Service Team last year Downtown, and there's one guy there whose name I don't recall that has been very helpful in addressing issues that have come up. I nag him regularly but he's cool about it. Assuming the people I deal with aren't fired because of the (MTA) 's financial woes, at some point I'm going to see if I can pick their brain further about this whole OMNY thing. We have discussed it briefly here and there, but not in detail since it was something that I wasn't using then, but now I am.