OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@WestFarms36

So I am checking just to be sure. Everything looks fine so far...

124795156_10221303235142844_598079949055

Yeah, you should nag that dude about it... Everything on your phone seems completely normal. Last week I couldn't log into omny.info because apparently the servers were down, I had a couple of friends also attempt to log into their OMNY accounts and had the same error, (MTA) didn't know about the issue until I notified them with photo evidence about what was going on.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WestFarms36 said:

Yeah, you should nag that dude about it... Everything on your phone seems completely normal. Last week I couldn't log into omny.info because apparently the servers were down, I had a couple of friends also attempt to log into their OMNY accounts and had the same error, (MTA) didn't know about the issue until I notified them with photo evidence about what was going on.

Yeah something is up because I make sure my phone is unlocked and opened with the app. I checked my Google Pay and it has five taps from the (MTA) today from that trip, and none of them went through. Just says "Pending", but they don't show on my actual credit card account at all. Meanwhile, I purchased a weekly express bus pass right after I got off of the BxM2 with that same card.

Some good and bad news according to the CPOC materials released today (excusethe mobile formatting) 

1. Reader installation will be complete by year end on subways and busses. SBS will have all door boarding. No word on ADB for other routes

2. Phase 3 and 4 pushed back by more than a year. More details below

3. Next six months will bring the following:

Closed loop pilot (aka OMNY card testing) 

Time or trip based testing using credit/ debit (bank) cards, with sales via site and app

Mobile app beta

4. Phase 3: Retail network for OMNY card begins rollout in July 2021

5. Phase 3: Reduced fare by September 2021

6. LIRR/MNR rollout by June 2022

7. New vending machines in 2023

Source https://new.mta.info/document/23941

28 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Some good and bad news according to the CPOC materials released today (excusethe mobile formatting) 

1. Reader installation will be complete by year end on subways and busses. SBS will have all door boarding. No word on ADB for other routes

Time or trip based testing using credit/ debit (bank) cards, with sales via site and app

Mobile app beta

Thanks for the updated.  Really appreciate it.  Yes that great the readers will be completed next month WONDERFUL!.  Ugh I can't believe they don't have a word for All Door Boarding.  Ahhh OK sounds good OMNY card testing.  I wonder if the general public will get the OMNY card test drive.  Well at least we will have the OMNY card in July 2021 but originally it was suppose to be Feb 2021.

14 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Mobile app beta

Yeah definitely appreciate the update! I had read or interpreted incorrectly that there wouldn't be a mobile app and was wondering about that.

Will have to see if Wageworks beats the mobile app (full or beta) with an actual contactless card or mobile wallet support.

Hopefully they do an open (to the public) beta of sorts.

17 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Ugh I can't believe they don't have a word for All Door Boarding.  

It will be implemented in the near future otherwise they wouldnt have modified the contract to buy and install more readers at the rear doors. 

3 hours ago, rwes said:

Yeah definitely appreciate the update! I had read or interpreted incorrectly that there wouldn't be a mobile app and was wondering about that.

Will have to see if Wageworks beats the mobile app (full or beta) with an actual contactless card or mobile wallet support.

Hopefully they do an open (to the public) beta of sorts.

The virtual OMNY card was what they dropped in the last update. 

Also the no ADB update is ambiguous, here's how it literally reads in the document. If they left out a bullet then it could mean it will launch in December. Otherwise only SBS will have it. 

Remaining OMNY Bus Launches by Dec 2020
• Queens
• Brooklyn
• Including Select Bus Service (“SBS”)
All Door Boarding

3 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

It will be implemented in the near future otherwise they wouldnt have modified the contract to buy and install more readers at the rear doors. 

Also the no ADB update is ambiguous, here's how it literally reads in the document. If they left out a bullet then it could mean it will launch in December. Otherwise only SBS will have it. 

• Queens
• Brooklyn
All Door Boarding

OK thanks I see about the All Door Boarding.

7 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

• Queens
• Brooklyn
All Door Boarding

Ah, right you are and that is what I was thinking of then; I’ll stop considering the two one in the same. But does that mean the mobile app wouldnt directly support tap do you know/think?

If it’s like hop fastpass, maybe a physical card can be added and provisioned in a wallet for use, but a virtual card cannot be provisioned from scratch?

Guess we’ll have to wait and see what it all looks like.

I think we are officially at the point where it's easier to list the stations that are NOT online according to OMNY's master list.

(2) & (3)  Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum

(A)  Rockaway Blvd, 104th Street, Aqueduct-North Conduit

(D) 9th Ave, 62nd Street, Bay Parkway

(F) Avenue I

(N) Entire Sea Beach Line

(L) Bedford Ave, Livonia Ave, Rockaway Parkway

121st, 85th, Flushing and Hewes are in active on the Jamaica El. 

The (J) needs all four to be complete, the (M) needs the last two and the (Z) needs 121st officially.

Ether way, less than 25 stations away from completion. 

14 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Apart from the (A)(D)(N)  and the Eastern Parkway station, why aren't the rest of the stops done? 

As has been said before, the plan was always to roll out OMNY in stages because they are focused on reliability and security, so they are still on schedule with the implementation of OMNY, and they are going in the order that works with their timeline. Simple as that. I will say that so far, the subway stations I have used OMNY at have worked. I would rather they have it done right, then rush it and it turns out a mess, which is what seems to be the case with the express buses.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As has been said before, the plan was always to roll out OMNY in stages because they are focused on reliability and security, so they are still on schedule with the implementation of OMNY, and they are going in the order that works with their timeline. Simple as that. I will say that so far, the subway stations I have used OMNY at have worked. I would rather they have it done right, then rush it and it turns out a mess, which is what seems to be the case with the express buses.

I'm just curious why they do some sections and then leave some stations alone. It stands out like a sore thumb when you have one stop go unfilled on an otherwise, fully OMNY-enabled line. I know for Eastern Parkway, they're redoing something at the station so it would be a waste to install and then take it out and install it down the line. You have stops that are still not done even though they've announced the line was fully-OMNY enabled.  

Edited by danielhg121

6 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I'm just curious why they do some sections and then leave some stations alone. It stands out like a sore thumb when you have one stop go unfilled on an otherwise, fully OMNY-enabled line. I know for Eastern Parkway, they're redoing something at the station so it would be a waste to install and then take it out and install it down the line. You have stops that are still not done even though they've announce the line was fully-OMNY enabled.  

Well some of it could be an oversight. They also announced that ALL Bronx express buses have OMNY. HOWEVER, on the BxM9, some express buses come from College Point Depot, and those buses don't have OMNY readers. When I inquired about it a few weeks ago, the response was that they were sorry about the mix-up, and that it would be fixed soon, as Queens will eventually come online.

Long story short, there are a number of reasons. Some related to the timeline, some related to people rolling this out that don't necessarily use the system as much as some of us do. I'm sure when they rolled out the ads for OMNY being in the Bronx, they didn't even realized that College Point runs some buses in the Bronx, but I can tell you that as early as last week, I've been told that the plan is for Queens and Brooklyn buses to be rolled out with OMNY by the end of this year, so that means the remaining subway stations can't be far off either. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8