OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

16 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I think they'll just issue you a prepaid OMNY card that is solely half-fare similar to how they do it currently. Easier than making your contactless debit card half-fare I would assume, though, it wouldn't be all that far-fetched considering an OMNY account exists so when you tap-in, they just charge you half-fare.

That's exactly what will happen. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/3/2021 at 1:11 PM, mikecintel said:

I guess you have the "inside info" then.

Normally that is how it's handled elsewhere. Bank cards are always full fare, reduced and time based fares (except capping) are on a transit card. 

Then again this is an account based and most modern system so who knows. 

On 1/3/2021 at 1:11 PM, mikecintel said:

I guess you have the "inside info" then.

6 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Normally that is how it's handled elsewhere. Bank cards are always full fare, reduced and time based fares (except capping) are on a transit card. 

There's really no other way to do it. I have been speaking with the (MTA) about the plan going back to the first meeting we had in 2019, so the understanding was always to roll out things in stages, study the reliability and security issues and move on from there. Everyone wants everything in place right away, but even the (MTA) is not sure because of the first two things I mentioned. No point in rolling out anything else unless security and reliability issues are addressed, so they have had to go back and address those concerns. For example, I was hearing of drivers complaining about being charged because the range of the readers was too far. That of course had to be adjusted. Now they'll have time to make tweaks since some people will continue to prefer Metrocards.

While OMNY cards will come online later this year, things like time-based passes are not clear yet. They are basically going along as they go to see what makes the most sense.

8 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I see.  Thanks I learned something new.  Didn't know that.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's really no other way to do it. I have been speaking with the (MTA) about the plan going back to the first meeting we had in 2019, so the understanding was always to roll out things in stages, study the reliability and security issues and move on from there. Everyone wants everything in place right away, but even the (MTA) is not sure because of the first two things I mentioned. No point in rolling out anything else unless security and reliability issues are addressed, so they have had to go back and address those concerns. For example, I was hearing of drivers complaining about being charged because the range of the readers was too far. That of course had to be adjusted. Now they'll have time to make tweaks since some people will continue to prefer Metrocards.

While OMNY cards will come online later this year, things like time-based passes are not clear yet. They are basically going along as they go to see what makes the most sense.

I see. Yes I agree with security reliability issues first.  Yes about time based passes because the MTA wants to eliminate the unlimited cards so if that goes then there is no time-base cards.  I would not prefer to use the Metro Card such a hassle because of miss swipe etc.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

Nothing new for 3 weeks.

I wish there is something new but I think we have to wait until the Summer because by then they have the physical OMNY card out by the Fall think if I am not mistaken.  Hopefully in the Summer there will be an update about more Fare options like reduce fare, student fares etc.

27 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

I wish there is something new but I think we have to wait until the Summer because by then they have the physical OMNY card out by the Fall think if I am not mistaken.  Hopefully in the Summer there will be an update about more Fare options like reduce fare, student fares etc.

I don't know what you're talking about. Supposedly, there may be a physical OMNY card out in February.

2 minutes ago, rwes said:

I’m also curious about mobile app. Anyone aware of any news around that?

Last I heard a mobile app would be coming this year...

Improvements to the digital experience are set to debut in 2021, including a refresh of the OMNY website and the launch of the OMNY mobile app. These efforts will give customers additional flexibility and choice in where, when and how their fare is paid.

https://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/its-omny-time-everywhere

The rollout for Metro-North and the LIRR may be pushed back to 2022 though last I heard.

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know what you're talking about. Supposedly, there may be a physical OMNY card out in February.

Sorry what I meant was the physical OMNY card has been pushed back until June if I remember correctly because of COVID. If I remember correctly by September reduce fares will be available and somewhere in August the physical OMNY card will be available.  Unless if they reverse it back February then I don't about because I did listen to their meetings back I think last year in October.  Let me check my sources because I did hear they pushed back.  Oh yes the Capital meeting mention this from Jan 21st meeting:

June (2021)Update on OMNY Program Update on Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Participation Quarterly Traffic Light Report

December(2021) C&D Capital Program Update Update on OMNY Program Quarterly Traffic Light Reports

4 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Sorry what I meant was the physical OMNY card has been pushed back until June if I remember correctly because of COVID. If I remember correctly by September reduce fares will be available and somewhere in August the physical OMNY card will be available.  Unless if they reverse it back February then I don't about because I did listen to their meetings back I think last year in October.  Let me check my sources because I did hear they pushed back.  Oh yes the Capital meeting mention this from Jan 21st meeting:

June (2021)Update on OMNY Program Update on Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Participation Quarterly Traffic Light Report

December(2021) C&D Capital Program Update Update on OMNY Program Quarterly Traffic Light Reports

I have to reach out to one of my (MTA) contacts about something, so I will ask on Friday if I can get them.  They've been out on vacation last I checked.

OK Found it! This is from the Nov 18, 2020 board meeting:

Program Status – Schedule
Phase 2: Completion on budget and
on schedule December 2020
• All bus and subway validators installed
Railroads
• Completion moved back due to COVID and change in RR operations
• Phase 3: Feb 2021 June 2022
• Phase 4: March 2022 June 2023
NYCT
• Phases 3/4 completion moved back due to COVID
• Phase 3: Feb 2021 pushed back to September 2021 - Physical OMNY Cards & Reduce Fare for seniors
• Phase 4: March 2022 pushed back to February 2023 - In System Sales
Good news: No impact to Phase 5 Substantial Completion July 2023

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

So then a physical OMNY card (cannot be a Bank card)  is required to get senior fares ?

Will it require your photo ?

Can it be done by snail mail ?

Good Question because when my mom went to get her senior card last turned 65 and I went with my mom and I asked the rep regarding about OMNY and they don't know and for people who are seniors the MTA will send out a notification informing the changes as it will change to OMNY.   I asked them the same question are you are asking like the photo requirements ad can it be done by snail mail and they said I don't any information as of yet and we will let you know by mail when the changes comes.  Hopefully tomorrow we will have all the answers because Via Garibaldi 8 will ask his friend who works in the MTA and he might know all the answers that we are questing and I guess his friend has the "inside info".

On 1/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, mikecintel said:

Good Question because when my mom went to get her senior card last turned 65 and I went with my mom and I asked the rep regarding about OMNY and they don't know and for people who are seniors the MTA will send out a notification informing the changes as it will change to OMNY.   I asked them the same question are you are asking like the photo requirements ad can it be done by snail mail and they said I don't any information as of yet and we will let you know by mail when the changes comes.  Hopefully tomorrow we will have all the answers because Via Garibaldi 8 will ask his friend who works in the MTA and he might know all the answers that we are questing and I guess his friend has the "inside info".

lol Just an acquaintance. He is on the (MTA) Board and is involved with Government and Community Relations, so he deals with all of the advocacy groups, including mine.  I was surprised to learn that there are a few people at the (MTA) in a similar role, but anywho he is my main contact, and if not him, then I reach out to others.

To answer your question though, we'll have to wait and see because it seems like the rollout has been pushed back to later this year because of COVID. The reality is there is no one consensus on some of these things, and so they are making decisions as they go along. This has been the case from the very beginning. When I asked them a few years ago in a meeting, the answer was we honestly don't know how we're doing everything. We're going to wait and see. Because they have so many options now compared to the Metrocard (OMNY is an open platform) they are taking their time. They could do a number of things... You could provide passes - they will exist obviously with the senior reduced cards. You could provide capped fares where you get free rides once you have paid a certain amount, and so on. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol Just an acquaintance. He is on the (MTA) Board and is involved with Government and Community Relations, so he deals with all of the advocacy groups, including mine.  I was surprised to learn that there are a few people at the (MTA) in a similar role, but anywho he is my main contact, and if not him, then I reach out to others.

To answer your question though, we'll have to wait and see because it seems like the rollout has been pushed back to later this year because of COVID. The reality is there is no one consensus on some of these things, and so they are making decisions as they go along. This has been the case from the very beginning. When I asked them a few years ago in a meeting, the answer was we honestly don't know how we're doing everything. We're going to wait and see. Because they have so many options now compared to the Metrocard (OMNY is an open platform) they are taking their time. They could do a number of things... You could provide passes - they will exist obviously with the senior reduced cards. You could provide capped fares where you get free rides once you have paid a certain amount, and so on. 

Thanks for the update.  Ahh ok yes because of COVID.  I though I got it wrong because I remember seeing the presentation they were talking about that,  I wish they had the OMNY card next like original planned but with COVID everything change ugh.  So it like a "look and see approach".  Got it.  Yes just like now with OMNY along with the Metro Cards (providing passes exist with the senior reduce cards until it phases out like the Metro Card.  Yes speaking about capped fares I don't know how people react to that and some people would like it.  My own opinion I don't like capped fares because if you think about it the MTA is kind of like "forcing you to use there card or your own device or credit card to get that a certain amount then you have the whole month FREE or something.  It's not FREE and if you keep using it then it's like the unlimited cards that we have now.  What happens if user's don't use that certain amount and then they won't get "FREE" rides then.

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Thanks for the update.  Ahh ok yes because of COVID.  I though I got it wrong because I remember seeing the presentation they were talking about that,  I wish they had the OMNY card next like original planned but with COVID everything change ugh.  So it like a "look and see approach".  Got it.  Yes just like now with OMNY along with the Metro Cards (providing passes exist with the senior reduce cards until it phases out like the Metro Card.  Yes speaking about capped fares I don't know how people react to that and some people would like it.  My own opinion I don't like capped fares because if you think about it the MTA is kind of like "forcing you to use there card or your own device or credit card to get that a certain amount then you have the whole month FREE or something.  It's not FREE and if you keep using it then it's like the unlimited cards that we have now.  What happens if user's don't use that certain amount and then they won't get "FREE" rides then.

My point was there could be an array of options. Keep in mind we were just casually talking about it at a meeting. I forget how it came up, but that was back in early 2019 that we discussed that.  The reality is the board members are still talking about what to do and what are the best options. That is why I've been advocating hard to bring back the monthly express bus pass because with OMNY now they have a number of options they can explore to entice riders to use the system. Now they are facing another dilemma, and that is what will ridership look like once the pandemic is over? Will office workers be going in five days a week? Not so sure. Using myself as an example, we have been closed going back to last year. I go to the office as I need to, once or twice a week, and work from home the other days, and I like it like that. Certainly not using a weekly pass much, but if they don't have people coming back and using the system, they are going to be in a world of hurt, that much I know.

36 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My point was there could be an array of options. Keep in mind we were just casually talking about it at a meeting. I forget how it came up, but that was back in early 2019 that we discussed that.  The reality is the board members are still talking about what to do and what are the best options. That is why I've been advocating hard to bring back the monthly express bus pass because with OMNY now they have a number of options they can explore to entice riders to use the system. Now they are facing another dilemma, and that is what will ridership look like once the pandemic is over? Will office workers be going in five days a week? Not so sure. Using myself as an example, we have been closed going back to last year. I go to the office as I need to, once or twice a week, and work from home the other days, and I like it like that. Certainly not using a weekly pass much, but if they don't have people coming back and using the system, they are going to be in a world of hurt, that much I know.

I see yes true.  For me currently I am working at home and my organization said the IT department is planning for us to go back in August 2021.  I like working at home and at least I don't have to travel to Brooklyn back and fourth for a total of 2 hours.  Yes about the weekly pass a lot of people are not buying it because like you and I and other people are working from home.  So that's why the MTA wants to "eliminate the monthly passes" because people are going into the offices less.   True if and when the pandemic is over if people are going to ride the transit again assuming people will not be laid off during the pandemic.  We are in tough times right now so I do understand what the MTA is going through.

4 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I see yes true.  For me currently I am working at home and my organization said the IT department is planning for us to go back in August 2021.  I like working at home and at least I don't have to travel to Brooklyn back and fourth for a total of 2 hours.  Yes about the weekly pass a lot of people are not buying it because like you and I and other people are working from home.  So that's why the MTA wants to "eliminate the monthly passes" because people are going into the offices less.   True if and when the pandemic is over if people are going to ride the transit again assuming people will not be laid off during the pandemic.  We are in tough times right now so I do understand what the MTA is going through.

No, that's no the reason why. One board member said it's because they think there's too much abuse with them. That sort of talk got a lot of pushback. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No, that's no the reason why. One board member said it's because they think there's too much abuse with them. That sort of talk got a lot of pushback. 

I see. How would there be too much abuse? When it was pre-covid I always use it for work and going to school and visiting my friends. Isn't the point of an unlimited Metro card you can use it whenever you want or need?