OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

I see.  OK because for a moment I got so excited and IF they did I would give them 10 "Likes".  I lost hope now oh well.

lol OMNY DOES afford them to set up such a thing where say they allowed you ride using a time based system where you could ride as much as you want in a certain time period for a day or something like that. Whether or not they'll do something like that is a separate story.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol OMNY DOES afford them to set up such a thing where say they allowed you ride using a time based system where you could ride as much as you want in a certain time period for a day or something like that. Whether or not they'll do something like that is a separate story.

LOL Yes  I see.  Well let's see what happens but I doubt they do that.

Just got my new WageWorks card (now branded HealthEquity) and it is indeed a contactless card.  I'll try it out next time I'm on the express bus but as long as it goes well, then it's time to say goodbye to my EasyPay MetroCard.  Pretty good service time...took about 4 business days from when I called for it to show up at my door.

53 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Just got my new WageWorks card (now branded HealthEquity) and it is indeed a contactless card.  I'll try it out next time I'm on the express bus but as long as it goes well, then it's time to say goodbye to my EasyPay MetroCard.  Pretty good service time...took about 4 business days from when I called for it to show up at my door.

Wow that was Quick! Enjoy!

9 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I called them and they flat out told me no plans for contactless. No timeline no explanation no nothing. Does your job use the "Commuter Check" card?

It seems to vary depending on who is being used. You'll still be able to buy OMNY cards and fill them when they come out later this year, so that'll be an option as well. You should be able to refill the OMNY cards remotely, so it won't be that much of a big deal to not have a contactless card.

7 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

i have the prepaid credit card whatever it is called

It's a prepaid commuter debit card, as it is loaded with your own money, so definitely not a credit card.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So now there's a new issue where if an eagle team asks you to tap your payment, it won't register on their device and they'll give you a $100 ticket even though you did pay. 

Wow unreal!.  I think you have to email or call the MTA regarding about that because it sounds like it's a "bug" on their end.  This "issue" has to be fixed because when it's officially launch where millions of people of using it and this problem occurs a lot of people won't be happy that I can tell you.

Wow unreal!.  I think you have to email or call the MTA regarding about that because it sounds like it's a "bug" on their end.  This "issue" has to be fixed because when it's officially launch where millions of people of using it and this problem occurs a lot of people won't be happy that I can tell you.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So now there's a new issue where if an eagle team asks you to tap your payment, it won't register on their device and they'll give you a $100 ticket even though you did pay. 

That can easily be remedied by creating an OMNY account, linking whatever contactless cards you use to ride, and checking your ride history when you pay.  If you get a ticket, you can show that you indeed did pay showing your ride history. Problem solved.

49 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That can easily be remedied by creating an OMNY account, linking whatever contactless cards you use to ride, and checking your ride history when you pay.  If you get a ticket, you can show that you indeed did pay showing your ride history. Problem solved.

Ahhh yes I didn't think about the OMNY account thing.  Yes that is so true but then  what if that does not sync when you tap the card in the OMNY account that's a problem.  For instance when I took the bus I did pay but it didn't even show on the my OMNY account.  Even the next day I checked it was not there at all.

Ahhh yes I didn't think about the OMNY account thing.  Yes that is so true but then  what if that does not sync when you tap the card in the OMNY account that's a problem.  For instance when I took the bus I did pay but it didn't even show on the my OMNY account.  Even the next day I checked it was not there at all.

That happens occasionally, but in all of the rides I have taken using OMNY, it's happened twice where I tapped but was not charged. 

17 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It seems to vary depending on who is being used. You'll still be able to buy OMNY cards and fill them when they come out later this year, so that'll be an option as well. You should be able to refill the OMNY cards remotely, so it won't be that much of a big deal to not have a contactless card.

It's a prepaid commuter debit card, as it is loaded with your own money, so definitely not a credit card.

I understand the OMNY card and retail model is coming soon but it is still more convenient to do PAYGO with one card as opposed to two. 

Regarding the tap issue, I had that happen on Saturday on the Q53 with a free transfer. Tapped, confirmed, but it didnt show up on the site for a day or two. And once it did, it was listed as Other Route instead of Q53. No issue with tapping the following day, showed up right away (free transfer also).

On the TAB (transit court) site , there is a space for OMNY account numver on the appeal form to counter this issue. Though to be fair metrocard has the same provision on there. 

13 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I understand the OMNY card and retail model is coming soon but it is still more convenient to do PAYGO with one card as opposed to two. 

Regarding the tap issue, I had that happen on Saturday on the Q53 with a free transfer. Tapped, confirmed, but it didnt show up on the site for a day or two. And once it did, it was listed as Other Route instead of Q53. No issue with tapping the following day, showed up right away (free transfer also).

On the TAB (transit court) site , there is a space for OMNY account numver on the appeal form to counter this issue. Though to be fair metrocard has the same provision on there. 

Well on the plus side, if you lose your OMNY card it won't be such a big deal. Remember you'll be able to refill remotely, so you can add some money from your commuter card as you go. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

any news on airtrain stations getting OMNY?

I visited NY last month. For many people who don't visit the city in months like me, we definitely don't have metrocards in our wallets.

OMNY would be very handy but airtrain stations among the last to get OMNY lol 🙈

• 2 weeks later...

An update for those of you who have Edenred as a commuter benefits provider. You can now add your commuter check debit card to Google Pay. I will test it with OMNY in the next day or two and report back, unless someone beats me to it. If it works, this will circumvent the lack of contactless card option. 

24 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

how do you add the edenred card? when i try to add it i get stuck at verify screen. the text message number is not mine and the call bank does not work

Why isn't the text message number not yours? You need a way to verify that the card is yours if you are going to add it to say Google Pay.

I can add all of my other contactless cards and my correct phone numbers shows up. it is only when i add the edenred card i get a different text message number. it looks like it is the same as the bank phone number. in google pay it says if the contact info is not correct to contact the bank account. when i log into my edenred account online all of my phone numbers is correct there. so i am not sure which side has the wrong number

4 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

how do you add the edenred card? when i try to add it i get stuck at verify screen. the text message number is not mine and the call bank does not work

I added it the same way as adding a normal card. My number was correct and I was able to verify the textmessage code. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

An update for those of you who have Edenred as a commuter benefits provider. You can now add your commuter check debit card to Google Pay. I will test it with OMNY in the next day or two and report back, unless someone beats me to it. If it works, this will circumvent the lack of contactless card option. 

Used the card via google pay today, works like a charm

https://pix11.com/news/transit/transit-workers-advocated-push-back-against-mtas-possible-cashless-system/?fbclid=IwAR0nMkspoj27xy5znwWlD6ZmKM8dYgf-YpY0NUNPNAt-dm0JbPk5wdoSuo0

I don't understand why this is an issue. Maybe its because I'm seeing it from my own POV, but why do people keep saying OMNY is suppose to be cashless when it isnt?