OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

37 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

I use a Debit card with tap ability for only OMNY purposes.. I was not going to wait for the physical card and not certain if it would have Unlimited capability if it right when it were to come out. I opened a Captial One "360" checking account with no fees, no checks, no minimums, and keep a very low balance. That is the card is registed with OMNY. I have run down the balances on my 2 Metrocards to nothing, and no longer use them. The only place you can't use OMNY is on NICE, and I have no intentions of riding their system for the foreseeable future. PATH is slow-walking OMNY this until 2023.  

I see.  I do have a credit card with Capital one but I need the unlimited and currently there is no Unlimited option with OMNY. If there was I would use my credit card and not Metro Card.  So I am "stuck" with the Metro Card now. Ugh!  If there no unlimited option I might have to stick with the Metro Card until it ends in 2023.  Have to travel from Queens to Brooklyn for work not fun during these COVID times.  MOST places wants people going back into the office and I disagree with it.  If I could still work at home that will be nice because I don't have to think about transit and Metro Cards etc. If there a physical OMNY card I would use that now then my credit card.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Unlimited, no OMNY. I had originally wanted OMNY for the novelty of using my watch to get on the train.  I use it to pay for just about everything now, so the novelty has worn off.  For the past year and a half, I really wanted it to avoid this situation:

Typical subway occurrence

I joke a little with that link title, but the truth is that I don't feel safe in the subway.  As I walk into any station, I always have "something could happen" in the back of my mind.  It would be nice if I could get in without taking out my wallet.

5 hours ago, BillAv said:

No Unlimited, no OMNY. I had originally wanted OMNY for the novelty of using my watch to get on the train.  I use it to pay for just about everything now, so the novelty has worn off.  For the past year and a half, I really wanted it to avoid this situation:

Typical subway occurrence

I joke a little with that link title, but the truth is that I don't feel safe in the subway.  As I walk into any station, I always have "something could happen" in the back of my mind.  It would be nice if I could get in without taking out my wallet.

Is it me or are the readers starting to malfunction a lot? In a rush to get on the train I held my card to the reader for a few seconds (which I've done 100 times before) and it didn't read it and I ended up having a stomach full of turnstile. It was not fun. 

28 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Is it me or are the readers starting to malfunction a lot? In a rush to get on the train I held my card to the reader for a few seconds (which I've done 100 times before) and it didn't read it and I ended up having a stomach full of turnstile. It was not fun. 

Wow yes I see.  Call OMNY and tell them you have "issues with the OMNY reader not reading or rejecting cards",  OMNY has to know because it has to fix it right away.  There number is 877-789-6669.  Did you try different readers and it's still the same problem?

26 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They just unveiled the OMNY card. Design is bland though.

Looks like they're trying to save money by cutting the color ink out: https://www.curbed.com/2021/10/omny-card-launched-mta-nyc-reveal.html

Edit: Though it doesn't say it needs a deposit anywhere like other NFC transit cards in other systems.

Edited by 7-express

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Looks like they're trying to save money by cutting the color ink out: https://www.curbed.com/2021/10/omny-card-launched-mta-nyc-reveal.html

Edit: Though it doesn't say it needs a deposit anywhere like other NFC transit cards in other systems.

I think they said it will be in different colors for different category "Eventually, it’ll also be produced in other colors to indicate separate fare classes: the student card, the senior-citizen card, the MTA employee card, and so forth"  Oh they have an expiration date for 7 years? "It’s good for seven years, a big improvement on the 18-month expiration of a Metro Card"  Ok at least is coming VERY SOON! Thank god. Oh yes to purchase the OMNY card you have to pay $5!  Happy News it's FINALLY come out.

There is NO refund back if you don't want your card.   Unlike in Canada Vancouver BC Canada Translink where they charge you $6 CAD and if you don't want to card and you return the card and you get your $6 CAD back.  So nice of them!  For Toronto Presto Card they charge $6 CAD but it's the same as NYC there is NO refund back and if you need your money back they charge 4% fee of what your balance on your card.  I think that is a rip off in Toronto.

Edited by mikecintel

https://omny.info/omny-card

The OMNY CARD TERMS:

This OMNY card is issued by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for use as payment with participating transportation providers. Purchase and use of this OMNY card constitutes your acceptance of the OMNY Terms of Service and the OMNY Privacy Policy at omny.info/terms-of-service and omny.info/privacy-policy.

This OMNY card costs $5 to purchase and must be loaded with a minimum of $1 or a fare product at the time of purchase. For more information on fees, please see omny.info/terms-of-service, or contact OMNY customer service at omny.info/contact or (877) 789-6669.

See the back of the OMNY card for the card expiration date. You may transfer the underlying funds of this OMNY card for up to two years after the card expires; failure to do so may result in loss of the underlying funds. This OMNY card is not refundable or redeemable for cash except as required by law. Upon card expiration or in the event of a fare change, unused fare products loaded on this OMNY card may be converted to stored value on this OMNY card in the amount initially paid for that fare product.

For questions about the OMNY card, transfers of balances to another OMNY card, and funds expiration rules; to report this card as damaged or defective, inquire about a replacement, or check your balance; and for more information about where you can use this OMNY card please visit omny.info/terms-of-service or contact OMNY customer service at omny.info/contact or (877) 789-6669.

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

I think for an introductory promotional period, they should reduce or eliminate the $5 fee by applying it to travel. They are ripping off the unbanked.  

I agree with 100% but knowing the MTA I don't think they will do that.  I think they should eliminate it period.  If they don't eliminate they should have a "refundable" fee ($5).  But I don't see the MTA will be doing that like in Canada BC.  But then again this is NYC US not Canada so oh well...

Edited by mikecintel

I agree with the $5 charge for the card; many people would throw it away instead of refilling it.  With that said, I can't imagine that anyone would buy one at this time.  It offers nothing for the customer that isn't being addressed better by a MetroCard, a smart device or a contactless credit card.

1 hour ago, BillAv said:

I agree with the $5 charge for the card; many people would throw it away instead of refilling it.  With that said, I can't imagine that anyone would buy one at this time.  It offers nothing for the customer that isn't being addressed better by a MetroCard, a smart device or a contactless credit card.

So True

On 10/1/2021 at 9:53 PM, BillAv said:

You'd be incorrect. There are a number of people in my group that are interested in one, myself included. Someone bought one today in my group. The reason being is that OMNY has been a big problem for some of us that try to tap and go with our cell phones. OMNY has not been able to explain why either. Doesn't matter if it's an Android or an iPhone. I switched to contactless cards, and that too has been an issue with random charges that OMNY can't resolve, leading to me having to cancel my card and have a new one sent. I also don't like having my card exposed when tapping, so I would much rather a generic OMNY card.

244584150_903309793925883_31182002301460

The (MTA) has said that it is exploring the idea of having the fee returned via a credit towards travel or something, but there's nothing concrete yet.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

45 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You'd be incorrect. There are a number of people in my group that are interested in one, myself included. Someone bought one today in my group. The reason being is that OMNY has been a big problem for some of us that try to tap and go with our cell phones. OMNY has not been able to explain why either. Doesn't matter if it's an Android or an iPhone. I switched to contactless cards, and that too has been an issue with random charges that OMNY can't resolve, leading to me having to cancel my card and have a new one sent. I also don't like having my card exposed when tapping, so I would much rather a generic OMNY card.

So why not stick with Metrocard?  Especially since you're having so many issues with OMNY?

42 minutes ago, BillAv said:

So why not stick with Metrocard?  Especially since you're having so many issues with OMNY?

Because OMNY allows me to refill remotely online. I don't live near a subway station and since I am working from home, I just take the express bus here and there. I can put whatever balance I want on it. Can't do that with a Metrocard, as EasyPay Xpress automatically refills and it is not for express bus cards either. An OMNY card gives more control to the commuters to refill the amount they want when they want to.

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

244584150_903309793925883_31182002301460

The (MTA) has said that it is exploring the idea of having the fee returned via a credit towards travel or something, but there's nothing concrete yet.

The card looks bland but this is the first wave of the OMNY cards.  I will be looking forward to getting one soon because I am like you where I don't want my credit number to be exposed.  I read  that after the first wave of OMNY cards they will be different colors.  I hope they have the NEW fares like the unlimited option very soon so I can make the jump to it and by that time I hope they have different colors not just B&W.  Also I have to buy an RFID blocking wallet to shield people from getting information on the OMNY card or credit cards.  Thank goodness the MTA is staring to "think about the fee being returned".  Other states and countries are doing why not the MTA beside the money grabbing company as any transit agency. More info here https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-omny-card-surcharge-20211004-ghml4aun65ftxi76o4cgl3y7za-story.html

21 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

The card looks bland but this is the first wave of the OMNY cards.  I will be looking forward to getting one soon because I am like you where I don't want my credit number to be exposed.  I read  that after the first wave of OMNY cards they will be different colors.  I hope they have the NEW fares like the unlimited option very soon so I can make the jump to it and by that time I hope they have different colors not just B&W.  Also I have to buy an RFID blocking wallet to shield people from getting information on the OMNY card or credit cards.  Thank goodness the MTA is staring to "think about the fee being returned".  Other states and countries are doing why not the MTA beside the money grabbing company as any transit agency. More info here https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-omny-card-surcharge-20211004-ghml4aun65ftxi76o4cgl3y7za-story.html

Yes, down the line, they will have different colors, just like the Metrocards with the different designs.

Part of this set up though with the OMNY cards is the (MTA) trying to move out of this space. They would rather have stores and such sell the cards and cut overhead costs to the extent possible.

-Tonight, at CB8s Transportation & Traffic Meeting, I spoke on behalf of Ruth Mullen, a member of the advocacy group that was struck & killed by a BxM1 express bus, noting my formal written request to the DOT for a traffic signal at Kappock & Johnson, as well as a formal written request to the MTA calling for more training measures to be implemented for bus operators going forward.

-An investigation continues, but the Bronx DOT noted some improvements (i.e. repainting of street, upgrading the pedestrian ramps, working w/ MTA to confirm that proper training of bus operators is completed, along w/lighting improvements).

-Henry Hudson Parkway East is finally supposed to be repaved sometime this month from Kappock St up to West 238th St and should be done overnight.

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, down the line, they will have different colors, just like the Metrocards with the different designs.

Part of this set up though with the OMNY cards is the (MTA) trying to move out of this space. They would rather have stores and such sell the cards and cut overhead costs to the extent possible.

Yes that is what I read and I am pretty sure at the end of this year when they roll out the fares the same as Metro Card they will do that.  Oh yes true they rather have stores because countries like Canada sells it in stores too.  Also it's "advertising".

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

-Tonight, at CB8s Transportation & Traffic Meeting, I spoke on behalf of Ruth Mullen, a member of the advocacy group that was struck & killed by a BxM1 express bus, noting my formal written request to the DOT for a traffic signal at Kappock & Johnson, as well as a formal written request to the MTA calling for more training measures to be implemented for bus operators going forward.

-An investigation continues, but the Bronx DOT noted some improvements (i.e. repainting of street, upgrading the pedestrian ramps, working w/ MTA to confirm that proper training of bus operators is completed, along w/lighting improvements).

-Henry Hudson Parkway East is finally supposed to be repaved sometime this month from Kappock St up to West 238th St and should be done overnight.

This is very upsetting. But yes they need to do something about like now so they can prevent this from happening in the future.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:12 PM, mikecintel said:

Cards are a big hit... Mocker messaged me yesterday asking to chat with me about my OMNY issues, but I never heard back from him. My guess is he needed to have the story done by a certain time and it would've been too late.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Cards are a big hit... Mocker messaged me yesterday asking to chat with me about my OMNY issues, but I never heard back from him. My guess is he needed to have the story done by a certain time and it would've been too late.

Oh wow Greg Mocker message you.  Well that's good at least you can tell the public what is wrong with OMNY and how the MTA can fix issues it is goes on national TV.  Maybe he will call you back we just have to wait.