OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

11 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I see.  Well that's what the rep said which I don't understand why.  Maybe they modified the software like you said.  Anyway from now on if there is a $0 balance and then I will immediately load money on it.  As a matter of fact it was my 1st time when it goes to  $0 I did not load money into it.  When it reach to $0 O always load money on it except on that after work I want to load when I go home and I though oh if it is $0 then it should be fine because when you reach the cap it does not need money anyway if you are taking a "free" ride.  I guess this is not the case.  That's true the MTA doesn't people going to negative balance. Learn something new every day with OMNY.  My OMNY replacement card never got suspended before.  It was the 1st time.

To be on the safe side, you should keep say $2.75 on it (I'm using that as an example because it's the base fare and they wouldn't suspend the card with a fare left on it), otherwise they will still suspend it, even with a balance on it. Sometimes I just put $20-30 on a card at a time. The other day, I had something like $1.50 left on it Friday evening after I paid $6.75 on the way home and it suspended my card about 25 minutes after I had tapped. If I needed the transfer, I would've had to reload money onto it to get it, which is ridiculous. They have never suspended the card that fast, which leads me to believe that it was an error. They give you over two hours to complete a transfer. I know because recently a bus I was transferring to was severely delayed and they still gave me the transfer when I was sure I would be paying another fare.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

To be on the safe side, you should keep say $2.75 on it (I'm using that as an example because it's the base fare and they wouldn't suspend the card with a fare left on it), otherwise they will still suspend it, even with a balance on it. Sometimes I just put $20-30 on a card at a time. The other day, I had something like $1.50 left on it Friday evening after I paid $6.75 on the way home and it suspended my card about 25 minutes after I had tapped. If I needed the transfer, I would've had to reload money onto it to get it, which is ridiculous. They have never suspended the card that fast, which leads me to believe that it was an error. They give you over two hours to complete a transfer. I know because recently a bus I was transferring to was severely delayed and they still gave me the transfer when I was sure I would be paying another fare.

Yes will do keep at $2.75 or more.  I don't want that to happen again. I see about suspending your card after 25 minutes.  Yes that is ridiculous if you need a transfer and it blocked you.  Oh about the transfer when you says the give over two hours to complete a transfer do you know if it is "up to 3 or so" because I never gotten over 2 hours to use the transfer and also speaking about transfer leaving from work I took the bus (4:15p) in Brooklyn then transfer the B train (4:30p) and I get on another train to go home. After I get my destination I have transfer to another bus and on it should take another $2.75 bus (6:00p) but when I check on my OMNY account it says "Free transfer" again.  There are a couple of times it does that and it has been several months that it that.  Did they change the rules about transferring because now I can transfer 2 times and its for several months it's been doing that?  I am not complaining and that is good but I just wanted to know.

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Yes will do keep at $2.75 or more.  I don't want that to happen again. I see about suspending your card after 25 minutes.  Yes that is ridiculous if you need a transfer and it blocked you.  Oh about the transfer when you says the give over two hours to complete a transfer do you know if it is "up to 3 or so" because I never gotten over 2 hours to use the transfer and also speaking about transfer leaving from work I took the bus (4:15p) in Brooklyn then transfer the B train (4:30p) and I get on another train to go home. After I get my destination I have transfer to another bus and on it should take another $2.75 bus (6:00p) but when I check on my OMNY account it says "Free transfer" again.  There are a couple of times it does that and it has been several months that it that.  Did they change the rules about transferring because now I can transfer 2 times and its for several months it's been doing that?  I am not complaining and that is good but I just wanted to know.

I don't want to say that it's three hours, but checking my OMNY account, it was definitely over two hours and 30 minutes.  I must say that I've been surprised myself, thinking I had to pay in some cases, but received a free transfer. Now if they only had fare capping for the express bus. I don't ride enough for a pass anymore, but still use it a few days a week for this and that.

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't want to say that it's three hours, but checking my OMNY account, it was definitely over two hours and 30 minutes.  I must say that I've been surprised myself, thinking I had to pay in some cases, but received a free transfer. Now if they only had fare capping for the express bus. I don't ride enough for a pass anymore, but still use it a few days a week for this and that.

OK I see.  Yes that will be great for you if they had fare capping for express buses.  I know express buses are very expensive just like the LIRR but then the LIRR is more expensive then because it gets into "zones".  I am sure that sooner or later when everything is rolled out they might have fare capping for express buses because I know a lot of people will complain and it's not fair.  Did you email the MTA or suggest them for express bus fair capping?

5 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

OK I see.  Yes that will be great for you if they had fare capping for express buses.  I know express buses are very expensive just like the LIRR but then the LIRR is more expensive then because it gets into "zones".  I am sure that sooner or later when everything is rolled out they might have fare capping for express buses because I know a lot of people will complain and it's not fair.  Did you email the MTA or suggest them for express bus fair capping?

I had an interview about it back in March. Supposedly the (MTA) is considering it. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2022/03/why-doesnt-mtas-omny-fare-capping-program-include-higher-priced-express-bus-trips.html

The railroads already have CityTicket expanded at all times off-peak within City limits.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I had an interview about it back in March. Supposedly the (MTA) is considering it. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2022/03/why-doesnt-mtas-omny-fare-capping-program-include-higher-priced-express-bus-trips.html

The railroads already have CityTicket expanded at all times off-peak within City limits.

I see thank you.

Ugh.....Why does the MTA do this and they "always delay" talking OMNY in a meeting?  I  just download there CPCM (Capital program Committee Meeting Book) for next week and the MTA will talk about OMNY will be in October 2022 (It was suppose to be talked about this month) and it will not be in the next week meeting.  After October's meeting the following year it will talk about OMNY again will be in March 2023 and September 2023.  I always am interested in their meeting talking about OMNY.  Oh well....I guess I have to wait for another month sigh :(.  I can't wait until this OMNY system is fully rolled out and the Metro Card is history!  I am hoping that when they do a full roll out we can transfer to a LIRR or Metro North just like transferring to a subway and bus.  Let's see what happens because the MTA did say they want to make it OMNY across the board with transfers.

UPDATE found out the reason why coming home from work I get 2 FREE Transfers!

I called OMNY customer service and they review my account and  as an example they said from the bus at 4:15PM and then to the B train it is 4:30PM and when I get to my destination I have to get on the bus to go home and it would be 5:45PM and I said I should have to pay and the rep said no because you are within the 2 hour transfer time and WITHIN that 2 hours and if you transfer from a bus to a subway and back the bus again you WILL NOT be charge and you will keep saying "Free Transfers".  Cool I like this idea and as a matter of fact you save $$$ this way.

Took the Q70 home from LGA a few days ago, and saw how OMNY (doesnt) work with the service being free. All the OMNY readers on the bus are green with the GO message. If you try to tap a card, it will not register at all. Guess they have a special program for free routes that is very similar to the subway shuttles. 

2 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Took the Q70 home from LGA a few days ago, and saw how OMNY (doesnt) work with the service being free. All the OMNY readers on the bus are green with the GO message. If you try to tap a card, it will not register at all. Guess they have a special program for free routes that is very similar to the subway shuttles. 

Oh wow.  Thanks for letting us now.  It's like they press a button and it "Freezes" and is stuck at the "Go" message. LOL

Edited by mikecintel

I'm sure they can control every last aspect of this.  They could make it flash rainbow colors if they wanted. It's all just programming.

Also, I got an email about signing up for OMNY with a reduced fare the other day.  I signed up but haven't had a chance to try it.  I've attached it to my phone.

Edited by zacster

6 minutes ago, zacster said:

I'm sure they can control every last aspect of this.  They could make it flash rainbow colors if they wanted. It's all just programming.

Also, I got an email about signing up for OMNY with a reduced fare the other day.  I signed up but haven't had a chance to try it.  I've attached it to my phone.

They sends you the senior OMNY card already?  I still waiting for my parents senior OMNY Cards.  I signed my parents up already.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

It's OMNY TIME! Finally been waiting for this meeting to know whats going on with OMNY:

The document regarding about OMNY is in this OMNY info October 2022.

I read through the part about OMNY and are bits and pieces and some are NEW like OMNY Virtual Card and OMNY Mobile app info:

The OMNY project is ON BUDGET
OMNY for Reduce Fares will be sent out to reduced-fare customers NEXT YEAR 2023
NYCT Reduced-Fares operations was completed May 2022 but needs to correct software and COMPLETED this month OCTOBER.
Paratransit will have the ARR ID OMNY CARD.  Same as above regarding software need to be correct but it is COMPLETED already this month OCTOBER
OMNY Vending Machines (We all been waiting for) Next year will be deployed 1Q of 2023
Vending machine will be available to use starting 2Q2023.  Portion of Metro Card machine will still be available until Metro Card are phased out (most likely but the END of 2023).  Good bye/Good riddance! Metro Cards and HELLO OMNY cards :rock::)
OMNY app + **OMNY Virtual Card (NEW)**
In the beginning of OMNY they said there was no intention of doing OMNY Virtual card but I guess they changed they mind. It's a welcome change.  It will be OMNY Card in Apply Pay and Google Pay ONLY
Software for Mobile app and OMNY Virtual Card still in testing.  Soft Launch 4Q2023

Best Fare / weekly fare capping enabled.  Weekly Fare capping enabled OK but didn't say anything about monthly capping.  What is  "Best Fare"?? (Guess we will find out next Monday October 24,2022 when the meting will take place)
LIRR +MNR Vending machines installed in April 2024 and schedule to end September 2024 (Wow that is quick!)

The NEXT OMNY Update will be in March 2023.  Let's see what the next update OMNY info will be in March 2023.  Can't wait!

12 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Hi Everyone,

It's OMNY TIME! Finally been waiting for this meeting to know whats going on with OMNY:

The document regarding about OMNY is in this OMNY info October 2022.

I read through the part about OMNY and are bits and pieces and some are NEW like OMNY Virtual Card and OMNY Mobile app info:

The OMNY project is ON BUDGET
OMNY for Reduce Fares will be sent out to reduced-fare customers NEXT YEAR 2023
NYCT Reduced-Fares operations was completed May 2022 but needs to correct software and COMPLETED this month OCTOBER.
Paratransit will have the ARR ID OMNY CARD.  Same as above regarding software need to be correct but it is COMPLETED already this month OCTOBER
OMNY Vending Machines (We all been waiting for) Next year will be deployed 1Q of 2023
Vending machine will be available to use starting 2Q2023.  Portion of Metro Card machine will still be available until Metro Card are phased out (most likely but the END of 2023).  Good bye/Good riddance! Metro Cards and HELLO OMNY cards :rock::)
OMNY app + **OMNY Virtual Card (NEW)**
In the beginning of OMNY they said there was no intention of doing OMNY Virtual card but I guess they changed they mind. It's a welcome change.  It will be OMNY Card in Apply Pay and Google Pay ONLY
Software for Mobile app and OMNY Virtual Card still in testing.  Soft Launch 4Q2023

Best Fare / weekly fare capping enabled.  Weekly Fare capping enabled OK but didn't say anything about monthly capping.  What is  "Best Fare"?? (Guess we will find out next Monday October 24,2022 when the meting will take place)
LIRR +MNR Vending machines installed in April 2024 and schedule to end September 2024 (Wow that is quick!)

The NEXT OMNY Update will be in March 2023.  Let's see what the next update OMNY info will be in March 2023.  Can't wait!

I don't see the big deal about an OMNY virtual card, but I suppose they think lots of people will want to pay by phone via OMNY (that is what I have observed anyway).

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't see the big deal about an OMNY virtual card, but I suppose they think lots of people will want to pay by phone via OMNY (that is what I have observed anyway).

Yes I know it's not a big deal but I think back in March of this year or the previous years I forgot the MTA said they are not making virtual OMNY cards at all and it will be only physical cards. For people who wants a virtual OMNY cards that's a good thing but for I prefer a physical OMNY card which I have. Do you know what is "Best fare"? I hope that means monthly unlimited like what we have now for the Metro cards but it will be capped fares for the monthly.

3 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Yes I know it's not a big deal but I think back in March of this year or the previous years I forgot the MTA said they are not making virtual OMNY cards at all and it will be only physical cards. For people who wants a virtual OMNY cards that's a good thing but for I prefer a physical OMNY card which I have. Do you know what is "Best fare"? I hope that means monthly unlimited like what we have now for the Metro cards but it will be capped fares for the monthly.

I spoke with the (MTA) yesterday briefly, but not about any fare issues. I don't know anything about Best Fare. What is it exactly?

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I spoke with the (MTA) yesterday briefly, but not about any fare issues. I don't know anything about Best Fare. What is it exactly?

OK I see you spoke to the MTA yesterday.  I don't know what is Best Fares too.  I though you would know.  Well we will find out on Monday.  Will update on Monday when I hear the meeting on YouTube.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:07 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Probably a combination of many people asking for the feature and being able to produce less physical OMNY cards. The virtual card was brought back in scope when the chip/card shortage was becoming evident a year or 2 ago.

WMATA and CTA (Chicago) offer virtual cards , and I think both charge a new card fee for them. I hope OMNY doesn't charge a fee.

43 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Probably a combination of many people asking for the feature and being able to produce less physical OMNY cards. The virtual card was brought back in scope when the chip/card shortage was becoming evident a year or 2 ago.

WMATA and CTA (Chicago) offer virtual cards , and I think both charge a new card fee for them. I hope OMNY doesn't charge a fee.

That makes a lot of sense. Something that from previous contacts at the (MTA) when OMNY was coming out was that they wanted to get out manufacturing cards.  It's costly and an expense that the (MTA) aimed to move away from with OMNY.  Even with all of the payment options, they still produced a ton of physical OMNY cards.

10 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

For a virtual card there's a fee to that in Virginia and Chicago that is stupid.  Well OMNY physical card does not a fee as you know and it is $5 just to purchase.  If the (MTA)does charge a fee for a virtual card that is stupid but then again their a money grabbing company.  A lot of people would complain anyway.  Now that ridiculous if they do charge a fee for that.

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

For a virtual card there's a fee to that in Virginia and Chicago that is stupid.  Well OMNY physical card does not a fee as you know and it is $5 just to purchase.  If the (MTA)does charge a fee for a virtual card that is stupid but then again their a money grabbing company.  A lot of people would complain anyway.  Now that ridiculous if they do charge a fee for that.

The physical OMNY card DOES have a fee. You pay a fee to buy it, so that's the fee. You cannot use it if you don't pay the fee and load money on it to activate it.

The MTA has a new video out about how to use OMNY for reduced-fare customers.  But it doesn't really show anything new that wasn't already possible over the summer...just documenting it so people can see how to do it.

Only tidbit is special reduced-fare OMNY cards coming next year for folks who want one, which is the same that was listed in this months board meeting notes.  Guess we'll have to wait till spring or later for more news.