OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

On 7/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, Union Tpke said:

Impressive. I did try that with my Discover Student It Card with Apple Pay, but it didn’t work. I tried it at both Atlantic Avenue and Nevins Street, But it didn’t work. In contrast, I used my Chase Visa Debit Card with Apple Pay at both Nevins Street and Borough Hall, and to my surprise, it actually worked. Why is that? Is there something wrong with the (MTA) accepting Discover cards at the moment?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE will have OMNY on all buses by the end of 2020

NY: NICE Bus CEO Khzouz moving forward with new fare payment system

Jul. 19--A new fare payment system is coming to Nassau buses, officials said Thursday. 

The Nassau Inter-County Express, or NICE Bus, said it will introduce technology on its buses next year that will allow customers to pay for their rides using the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's new OMNY fare system.

OMNY -- an acronym for One Metro New York -- allows commuters to pay for transit trips using contactless credit, debit, or reloadable prepaid cards, or digital wallets on smartphones or smartwatches.

The MTA has already begun using the new fare payment system at some subway stations in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and on its Staten Island bus routes, and has plans to incorporate it on other public transportation systems, including the Long Island Rail Road.

The new fare system will eventually replace the MTA's quarter-century-old MetroCard, which is also accepted by NICE Bus and used by about half of Nassau bus riders.

At a Mineola meeting of the Nassau Bus Transit Committee Thursday, NICE chief executive, Jack Khzouz, said that by late 2020 all Nassau buses will be equipped with OMNY sensors that riders can tap with their device to pay for a fare.

Khzouz said the new system will offer several benefits, including faster loading of passengers and more availability of OMNY cards at retailers in Nassau.

"You don't have to worry about a MetroCard [vending] machine breaking down or not dispensing the card correctly. There's no MetroCard 'read errors,' no more dipping your card and it not reading it," Khzouz said. "We're looking forward to this migration to the OMNY card."

Khzouz said he expects NICE will accept both OMNY and the MetroCard for a few years, but the plan is to "slowly wean everybody off of the MetroCard and get everybody onto the OMNY system."

I don't know if Newsday has a pay wall so I'll include both the Newsday link and the Mass Transit Magazine link

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/nice-fare-payment-system-nassau-1.33993450

https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/fare-collection/mobile-applications/news/21089252/ny-nice-bus-ceo-khzouz-moving-forward-with-new-fare-payment-system

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

You can look at I think 10 articles per month for free on Newsday.

3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Any word on how they plan to integrate commuter rail? 

They're probably going to have the same system as the Staten Island Railway. Validators at each station, tap in, tap out with spot checks by Eagle team. Some busy stations might have gate lines like London.

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They're probably going to have the same system as the Staten Island Railway. Validators at each station, tap in, tap out with spot checks by Eagle team. Some busy stations might have gate lines like London.

Almost sounds like the system they have with Seattle’s ORCA card with Sound Transit’s Sounder Trains. There, a passenger at station A taps on the validador before boarding, and at staton B, the person taps off when exiting their train to ensure the correct fare is deducted, with fare inspect in between. (MTA) should consider that.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Right on! Yeah something like I can see working. Maybe even the transfer validation (Pink) points for things like the Atlantic ticket. Cool thing with London it's a bit easier there with the zones we'd have to figure that out but the tech is there.

Edited by RailRunRob

21 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I would love something like the pink validators for out of system transfers like Lex/59th <-> Lex/63rd.

Something like that would be great afew other places could use the connection.

Take a listen when you get a second they Discuss OMNY in this talk. If you haven’t heard it already.

https://blubrry.com/secondavesagas/44858124/episode-5-omny-with-mtas-al-putre

Ok just to recap:

MTA:

-NYCT (Buses, Subways, SIR): by the end of 2020

-LIRR/Metro North: starting in 2021

PATH: 2021-2022

NICE: by the end of 2020

Bee-Line: 2021-2022

Who's next to jump on the bandwagon? I'm personally hoping for NYC Ferry, Suffolk Transit, CTTransit, New Jersey Transit and it's private contractors.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Ok just to recap:

MTA:

-NYCT (Buses, Subways, SIR): by the end of 2020

-LIRR/Metro North: starting in 2021

PATH: 2021-2022

NICE: by the end of 2020

Bee-Line: 2021-2022

Who's next to jump on the bandwagon? I'm personally hoping for NYC Ferry, Suffolk Transit, CTTransit, New Jersey Transit and it's private contractors.

I hope that NYC Ferry won’t get a free transfer... it’s so ridiculously subsidized for a premium service that only helps richer people on waterfronts. If express bus riders must pay $6.50 so can ferry riders.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I hope that NYC Ferry won’t get a free transfer... it’s so ridiculously subsidized for a premium service that only helps richer people on waterfronts. If express bus riders must pay $6.50 so can ferry riders.

The ferries are getting OMNY Al Putre mentioned it on the SAS podcast

Edited by RailRunRob

7 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Right on! Yeah something like I can see working. Maybe even the transfer validation (Pink) points for things like the Atlantic ticket. Cool thing with London it's a bit easier there with the zones we'd have to figure that out but the tech is there.

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I would love something like the pink validators for out of system transfers like Lex/59th <-> Lex/63rd.

Something similar to the pink validators would definitely be needed for LIRR at Jamaica, Floral Park, Mineola, Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Hicksville, and Babylon, as those are transfer stations that may bypass more expensive zones. 

For the subway, out of system transfers would be handled by the OMNY fare engine since there are no fare zones (assuming no change in transfers and procedures), so no need for that. 

6 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

AMEX is updating their cards with contactless readers. I might have to pay $5, but it's worth the expense.

AMEX should issue you a new credit card if you mark the current one as damaged. 

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd imagine that the fare engine wouldnt provide for a free transfer, just like how airtrain is set up today. 

19 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The boat would tip over with passengers if they accept free transfers

On 7/24/2019 at 6:07 PM, WestFarms36 said:

Its already been stated, anything using Metrocard today, will transition to OMNY in the period of 2020-2022.

OK, sorry. I looked back quite a bit and couldn't find that. Thanks. 

Edited by rbrome

• 2 weeks later...

New York City————- it’s about time that my hometown gets into this “TAP” program. I’ve been waiting for a long time for this to pop instead of having Metrocards, even though you can refill both sides of it (ppr/unlimiteds) as long as the date is not within a year. With the tap, it makes it much better to refill outside or online