OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wiring of the system must be wrapping up on the A Division because I'm starting to get contactless notices from Google Pay along the B Division.

OMNY's expansion may be quicker than any of us realize. And it's gonna be fun to see. The moment it gets to 233rd Street (already wired judging by Google), I'm ditching my Metro.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:05 AM, LTA1992 said:

The wiring of the system must be wrapping up on the A Division because I'm starting to get contactless notices from Google Pay along the B Division.

OMNY's expansion may be quicker than any of us realize. And it's gonna be fun to see. The moment it gets to 233rd Street (already wired judging by Google), I'm ditching my Metro.

Where on the B division?

On 8/20/2019 at 6:03 AM, Lawrence St said:

What is the next phase for the OMNY testing? J heard it was 42nd St to 125th St on Lexington Avenue.

I read in some interview, can't remember where, that the MTA is considering installing readers according to station ridership. Not sure about the buses but maybe busiest bus routes first as well.

So Times Sq, Herald Sq, etc should be getting them sooner than later.

Since I have to renew my employee/pensioner pass soon how would this OMNY program affect me ? I’m asking here instead of the Crew Room because my wife usually travels with me. I remember that on my last renewal trip the people in the pass unit couldn’t tell me the correct procedure for a retiree to use on an SBS bus. I do have an iPhone with no card enabled. Just asking before I end up embarrassing myself at Atlantic-Barclays. Carry on.

A bit late to this, but as said before, IMO they should have worked with SEPTA to do a joint card that would be valid on all of the (MTA) and SEPTA.  There is enough crossover between the two in New York and Philly (and especially with college students who go to school in Philly but are from New York) to have made such worthwhile.  

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:22 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Since I have to renew my employee/pensioner pass soon how would this OMNY program affect me ? I’m asking here instead of the Crew Room because my wife usually travels with me. I remember that on my last renewal trip the people in the pass unit couldn’t tell me the correct procedure for a retiree to use on an SBS bus. I do have an iPhone with no card enabled. Just asking before I end up embarrassing myself at Atlantic-Barclays. Carry on.

OMNY passes won't be ready for a few years. Stick with MetroCard. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, Wallyhorse said:

A bit late to this, but as said before, IMO they should have worked with SEPTA to do a joint card that would be valid on all of the (MTA) and SEPTA.  There is enough crossover between the two in New York and Philly (and especially with college students who go to school in Philly but are from New York) to have made such worthwhile.  

Wally... That crossover... is MAYBE 0.001% total usage. and that's being generous, I might have left off a lot of zeros there. 

If you replaced SEPTA with NJT in your argument, that would be a logical statement.

or SEPTA and NJT working together.

But no. You said "we should have the same system in two different cities a hundred miles apart whose transit services are not directly connected."

Once again, you have taken the tiny, pointless target and suddenly decided that such a massive decision must be made based around their benefit. "College students"? Really? that's the justification you're going for?

Or is that crossover... YOU... and you can't be bothered to carry around two cards. Nevermind the very idea of OMNY is you shouldn't need a card in the first place. 

11 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

OMNY passes won't be ready for a few years. Stick with MetroCard. 

Wally... That crossover... is MAYBE 0.001% total usage. and that's being generous, I might have left off a lot of zeros there. 

If you replaced SEPTA with NJT in your argument, that would be a logical statement.

or SEPTA and NJT working together.

But no. You said "we should have the same system in two different cities a hundred miles apart whose transit services are not directly connected."

Once again, you have taken the tiny, pointless target and suddenly decided that such a massive decision must be made based around their benefit. "College students"? Really? that's the justification you're going for?

Or is that crossover... YOU... and you can't be bothered to carry around two cards. Nevermind the very idea of OMNY is you shouldn't need a card in the first place. 

Having something that is valid on the (MTA), NJT AND SEPTA would really work, but I was specifically thinking the subways and buses within the two cities for now.  If you can expand it to include the LIRR, Metro-North, NJT (buses and rail) AND SEPTA (buses, trolleys, subway and regional rail), that would REALLY make it worthwhile. 

And college students make up a big part of those who travel between Philly & New York on a regular basis, not to mention those who live in Philly but work in New York for example (there are those who actually consider Philly to be the unofficial sixth borough of NYC). 

On 9/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Whatever weed you smokin,  I need some of that shit too dawgs....

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

(there are those who actually consider Philly to be the unofficial sixth borough of NYC). 

The New York Times insists that Philadelphians call Philadelphia the sixth borough and its complete nonsense. The Philly media makes fun of it every chance they get.

Literally the only times the Philadelphia Inquirer has used the term is in editorials making fun of the idea and calling it ridiculous...

---------

To bring this back on topic, it would make more sense to introduce a special OMNY card/pass for college students in New York and a special SEPTA Key for college students in Philadelphia (think the U Pass in Chicago: https://www.transitchicago.com/upass/) and benefit all the college students in both areas rather than pursue compatibility between the two for a small subset of people.

58 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

To bring this back on topic, it would make more sense to introduce a special OMNY card/pass for college students in New York and a special SEPTA Key for college students in Philadelphia (think the U Pass in Chicago: https://www.transitchicago.com/upass/) and benefit all the college students in both areas rather than pursue compatibility between the two for a small subset of people.

As a college student who is in his third year of college, I agree that they should have a college student card as well. This would help students save on transportation costs, especially if they have to go to work directly after school as well. I could see CUNY Service Corps folks (such as myself when I start) taking advantage of it.

For pricing, I suggest that the purchase price of the cards be at $1.00 to make it affordable for college students as well. From there, it’s unlimited rides for the day.

13 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

As a college student who is in his third year of college, I agree that they should have a college student card as well. This would help students save on transportation costs, especially if they have to go to work directly after school as well. I could see CUNY Service Corps folks (such as myself when I start) taking advantage of it.

For pricing, I suggest that the purchase price of the cards be at $1.00 to make it affordable for college students as well. From there, it’s unlimited rides for the day.

not gonna happen.

Edited by nightmare402

4 minutes ago, nightmare402 said:

not gonna happen.

It was just a suggestion to further improve ONNY. Plus cities like Washington DC and Chicago have something similar, so why not NY?

11 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

LMFAO. You talking like we're in a budget crisis. Oh wait, we are.............

Unlimited rides for college students at a cheap upfront cost would make it easier for students to commute between home, school, work, and other activities.

11 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

LMFAO. You talking like we're in a budget crisis. Oh wait, we are.............

It's been proven that U-passes in other cities have had some impact on students remaining after college, which helps both that city's economy and increases ridership on transit...

Think outside the box for a bit.

23 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This I like very much.  Given it is mainly college students who travel between the two cities it would work.