NJT blames WWE for train delays after Wrestlemania went longer than expected

mfs NJT459

Why am I not surprised by NJ Transit playing the blaming game? Haven't they learned anything from the Super Bowl fiasco? It tells me they are inept to deal with huge crowds and provide the equipment and personal needed for such a mega event. What a disgrace of a transit operation

I was at Wrestlemania, but I got off relatively easy as my seats were on the same side of the stadium as the train. I ended up on a train around 1:15 and barely managed to make it to Penn at 2:00. The geniuses at NJT decided to dispatch extra SEC-NYP shuttles BEHIND a regularly scheduled train so the regular train was packed to the gills and had a hard time trying to close down and leave SEC.

The fact is this: That’s what NJT gets for trying to milk only one shift’s worth of engineers for both pregame and postgame. How the hell do half your crews run out of hours right when the event ends? The fact that NJT couldn’t round up fresh manpower for the postgame in simply inexcusable.

As for the issue with the last trains of the night from SEC... Hard to blame NJT there, but that’s not WWE’s problem either. Lack of coordination or not, it’s the stadium and state’s responsibility (NOT the promoter) to make sure transportation logistics are followed along with having contingency plans in place.

Did I mention most of the Meadowlands trains on Sunday were Comet salads?

10 hours ago, Ron2themax said:

Why am I not surprised by NJ Transit playing the blaming game? Haven't they learned anything from the Super Bowl fiasco? It tells me they are inept to deal with huge crowds and provide the equipment and personal needed for such a mega event. What a disgrace of a transit operation

The Super Bowl fiasco was different, they were supposed to get some sort of signal or "ok" from the folks in MetLife so they could roll out the buses, but they never did. 

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I was at Wrestlemania, but I got off relatively easy as my seats were on the same side of the stadium as the train. I ended up on a train around 1:15 and barely managed to make it to Penn at 2:00. The geniuses at NJT decided to dispatch extra SEC-NYP shuttles BEHIND a regularly scheduled train so the regular train was packed to the gills and had a hard time trying to close down and leave SEC.

The fact is this: That’s what NJT gets for trying to milk only one shift’s worth of engineers for both pregame and postgame. How the hell do half your crews run out of hours right when the event ends? The fact that NJT couldn’t round up fresh manpower for the postgame in simply inexcusable.

As for the issue with the last trains of the night from SEC... Hard to blame NJT there, but that’s not WWE’s problem either. Lack of coordination or not, it’s the stadium and state’s responsibility (NOT the promoter) to make sure transportation logistics are followed along with having contingency plans in place.

Did I mention most of the Meadowlands trains on Sunday were Comet salads?

That's what it boils down to, honestly.

34 minutes ago, mfs NJT459 said:

Now the current Governor is blaming the Chris Christie effects of underinvestment to NJT

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/04/its-christies-fault-governor-says-of-nj-transits-wrestlemania-snafu.html

They were doomed from the start. NJT was short staffed and most of the trains were Comets instead of double deckers.

All this wouldn’t have happened to Metro-North if Wrestlemania was in Yankee Stadium, that’s for sure. They’d make damn sure the train crews were nowhere near timing out.

The story I heard was that all the Community drivers went home after a certain time, only for the Mayor to send them a nastygram to bring their asses back to the Meadowlands and to their credit, they listened.

I didn’t ask how many drivers would’ve been available for work the next morning, what with availability via hours of service and all that....