Staten Island West Shore Alternatives Analysis

Union Tpke

It took long enough for them to start on this study, which was funded by the 2015-2019 Capital Program.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/si_west_shore

The Purpose of the Staten Island West Shore Alternatives Analysis (AA) is to examine the area’s transportation needs. At the end of the analysis, we will produce a report outlining the best options for future transit projects in the area. Our goal is to run a transparent and inclusive process. We want residents, commuters, and local officials to take part. Over the course of the study, we will identify and analyze all reasonable ideas which would improve transit options for people traveling to and from the West Shore of Staten Island.

Next Steps

The Alternatives Analysis builds on several previous study efforts. We have already begun briefing stakeholders and elected officials about the purpose of the study. We plan to launch a survey effort to help us learn about travel preferences on the West Shore. At the same time, we will compile background information from previous studies. We will use the survey and research to develop a study Purpose and Need Report as well as Public Involvement Plan. Key public events in the initial 3-months include:

Mid-April 2019

• Public pop-up events to kick-off the AA and launch survey efforts April-May 2019
  • Start on-board Bus Intercept Surveys and web-based surveys

Background

Over the past 15 years, Staten Island has grown. Because of that, advocates and local leaders have campaigned for more reliable mass transit. This Alternatives Analysis Study expands on previous efforts including:

• MTA NYCT’s North Shore Alternatives Analysis Study and Staten Island Bus Study;
  • NYC Department of City Planning’s and NYC Econonomic Development Corporation’s Working West Shore 2030; and
  • The Staten Island Economic Development Corporations’ West Shore Light Rail Phase II Study.

Study Area

The Study Area for the Staten Island West Shore is roughly bounded by:

• I-278 to the north,
  • the Arthur Kill waterway to the west,
  • Tottenville (south of Amboy Road, west of Page Avenue) to the south, and
  • a line roughly ½ mile south/east of the Korean War Veterans Parkway and Richmond Avenue north of Arthur Kill Road.

The Study Area includes SIR stations from Annadale to Arthur Kill.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I think that this should be an extension of the HBLR via the Bayonne.

What I would do under my proposal is something similar. And since Staten Island is obviously not NJ, introduce a new fare zone for riders going between SI and NJ, probably $3 when traveling between the two zones and the normal ($2.75) price when traveling in SI. This would also like a good time to tie OMNY into the HBLR as well.

I also spotted this a few days ago. The proposed stops are more or less what I would put in my proposal as well:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://blog.tstc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/west-shore-BRT.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjAqNDwjuThAhVSn-AKHbmbBQUQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3bt4-h588lke6hgM8PaaWf

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Added OMNY to proposal

15 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

What I would do under my proposal is something similar. And since Staten Island is obviously not NJ, introduce a new fare zone for riders going between SI and NJ, probably $3 when traveling between the two zones and the normal ($2.75) price when traveling in SI. This would also like a good time to tie OMNY into the HBLR as well.

I also spotted this a few days ago. The proposed stops are more or less what I would put in my proposal as well:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://blog.tstc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/west-shore-BRT.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjAqNDwjuThAhVSn-AKHbmbBQUQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3bt4-h588lke6hgM8PaaWf

Why have two fare zones? We should support the integration of transit fares across the region, not setting up new barriers based on arbitrary state lines.

17 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Why have two fare zones? We should support the integration of transit fares across the region, not setting up new barriers based on arbitrary state lines.

The main reason I say this is because NJ Transit already has fare zones with buses; my main focus is service between NY and NJ. HBLR is technically still NJ transit, so this is something I would see them doing. Unless HBLR becomes privatized by a different company, I see this as reality.