December 2001 Subway Map  

Late Night Subway Maps

2009 Subway Map

1 R142 Pin

1 MTA Pin

By The El Book

Subway Style Book

110 Years Of The Subway MetroCard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/Transit_Memorabilia Is there anything here that you are interested in having in exchange for the 1992 or 1993 map.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow you have a Queens Surface map of the Q25, Q34, Q65 and QBx1. If you still have it could you scan it and post it here because even though I've lived near the Q25/Q34 and Q65 almost my entire life I've never seen a map/ schedule of them under Queens Surface. I only had schedule of them when they first became MTA routes and of course my mom threw those away smh.

I think it was only on some of the front rolls, no? I've never seen a side roll printed for one, but there were definitely some bulkhead readings that had it. A bunch of rolls (incl. R40s/R42s) included bulkhead readings for it after the R68s in '86.

The rolls for the R30s/32s/38s (as it's printed on the roll) have the JFK Express on it. I've seen at least one roll that has "Train to the Plane" printed next to the (JFK). I posted this earlier, but it seems that post was one of the lost ones. I had this on my wall before we moved to MD:

DSC_0308.jpg

Also, if anyone's interested, I have R32 rollsign pieces for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/smallfire85/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Yeah, I'm one of those guys. The look quite impressive as standalone pieces. The ones up on ebay are the larger exterior pieces. I have the smaller interior pieces also, PM me if your interested, or even if you want to work out a deal with what I have up. 

Also, if anyone's interested, I have R32 rollsign pieces for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/smallfire85/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Yeah, I'm one of those guys. The look quite impressive as standalone pieces. The ones up on ebay are the larger exterior pieces. I have the smaller interior pieces also, PM me if your interested, or even if you want to work out a deal with what I have up. 

Yeah, no.

I'm fairly sure it's only the newer printings for the R32-R38 rolls with the JFK express, not the R27/R30 rolls. It's definitely on the Akzidenz '85 and Helvetica '87 (rounding on years) rolls for the 32/38s, and I think by that time it was included on nearly all rolls (hence the R68s).

Now I know who's selling those pieces!

I'm fairly sure it's only the newer printings for the R32-R38 rolls with the JFK express, not the R27/R30 rolls. It's definitely on the Akzidenz '85 and Helvetica '87 (rounding on years) rolls for the 32/38s, and I think by that time it was included on nearly all rolls (hence the R68s).

Now I know who's selling those pieces!

OK, so the roll I might be thinking of is the Akzidenz one, which has more uniform font size throughout the roll.

I did mention earlier that I was whittling down my collection, and I've seen that there are tons of people who love the subway. Just from offering these pieces for the last month, I've sent pieces all over the country, including Hawaii.

Edited by SmallParkShuttle

I've really been getting into rollsigns. I was able to get my hands on an old BMT rollsign. I'm not sure which car type it came from, but the destinations show pre-Christie St connection service. Also, the roll is printed duplex-style (2-sided). Does anyone know which car this roll is from?

A24D3C0C-BF93-4837-90F7-4FDF4DE16142.jpg

DBA3504B-4145-43DD-A5A1-27FC727C8553.jpg

Lol, I don't think it's that egregious! I have a few cut signs off of rolls that I simply couldn't have fit in my apartment, like a green CC off an R16 bulkhead sign and a pink F off an R42 side sign. I didn't have the space for more than one sign, so I had those framed. Price gouging is a different issue, of course, but most of these prices aren't too bad. As for that "houseofmemories" guy, well...

Looks like a BMT standard or Triplex roll. What, is this the place where you're getting information about it before you cut it up and put it on Ebay? Vile.

Thanks! Now, for the scissors, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

No really, thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. If you care to read my lengthy answer to your other comment, read below.

I've had this discussion of "ethics" with myself for months before I decided to put these pieces up and I came to a few conclusions:

1. There are many people who are not buffs that love their transit system. People have their line or station that have become significant in their lives, and these are rare little trinkets that can give a real personal touch wherever they choose. Getting an entire sign for tyat purpose would be expensive and bulky. This allows more people to represent one of the truly unique features of NYC. Like I said, I've sent NYC Transit stuff all over, including Canada and the UK. People love the opportunity to represent if you give them the chance.

2. There is a reason why I did this to an R32 sign: there are about 200 more cars still running on this system, which makes at most 400 more intact signs available to those who want it. Maybe not abundant, but not as rare as some other signs, although I think some work better as pieces, like the older R40 and R44 side signs. That is why the redbird sign I am offering is intact, there's not that many left. That being said, the prices being offered by others for these pieces are ridiculous. I want to make this more available, while not losing money to fees and shipping. But, as I mentioned, for the people I know are interested, the prices are negotiable.

3. The truth is, barring the few people that have the space (or the fervor) to buy intact signs and frames, most of these signs will survive longer in pieces. That R17 route sign that I believe MHV picked up would be the ideal setup for a rollsign, but most don't come that way. That R40 sign is a doozy. Interestingly enough, most people see nothing wrong with cutting up the signs. Look at page two of this thread. I got my first roll when I was 12. The guy who gave it to me offered some suggestions on what to do with it, like cut it up and frame it.

4. Chances are that I will never own a pair of prototype R32 cars, and that the number of surviving signs will far surpass the number of surviving cars.

I am not out to destroy evey rollsign I get my hands on to make a profit, but I realize that there are varying interests in this sector. The BMT rollsign is staying with me, and I am planning on putting up for sale a couple more old rollsigns, intact.

Now, if you want to make sure that the rest of the R32 and R42, as well as the R44/46, 62, and 68 signs get salvaged and made available for purchase when their time comes, email asset.recovery@nyct.com and let them know that there's an interest for these signs.

I think you have a fair perspective on all this. It's very hard to keep a whole piece in tact, but that shouldn't exclude people from having access. The framed R40/R42/R46 signs look phenomenal on their own, and I don't even know if the sign boxes for those one-piece signs exist anymore. Same with the huge letters at the front of R40s--even the MTA thought they were too big! You're right, I was the one who picked up the R17 sign. I'm a big fan of that box because it actually fits in my tiny apartment, unlike every other sign box the MTA has used on SMEE equipment (exception R10).

Speaking of that, this sign on eBay is a real knockout. http://m.ebay.com/itm/MTA-New-York-City-Transit-Authority-Roll-Sign-8-feet-long-color-B-EE-KK-MM-/221858117477 If I had the money / technical skill, I would swap that into the R17 sign box I've got and kept the redbird sign separately. I just adore those Vignelli-colored signs, and I think the R16 and R17 boxes are the same dimensions. But I'm not gonna try that--nor can I afford it--and besides, this is actually the less interesting Eastern division roll. The one that l totally adore is the Manhattan roll, compete with the A/AA/CC etc. INDman, if you still lurk on these parts, I admire that collection! Beautiful signs.

But anyway, on a larger, more abstract note, and because I like waxing philosophical, a separate thought: many of these rolls, especially when people will pay hundreds of dollars to purchase and then frame them, are essentially art. Urban art, at least. They could easily hang next to photographs or abstract work in a loft or apartment. [if anybody would like to buy me a loft, I accept PayPal!] By that metric, I think we have to think of them as art and treat them by the same standards. Art that is wholly unaccessible is barely art. Just as Finnegans Wake is so dense and incomprehensible that it's never considered art in the same way as Joyce's other work, a 25-foot long subway roll is so inaccessible and enormous that it has almost no aesthetic value unless it's rolled within a box. Put simply, nobody has the space to hold or even look at an unrolled vertical roll, and few can even fit a horizontal roll. If it's so enormous that nobody can even look at it, is there really much artistic value? These complete rolls, essentially, are inaccessible outside of a rollsign box or gallery. So while I don't advocate cutting up every last one of them, I don't think it's a sin to cut some of them just so we can see them.

That said, I don't think any of the particularly rare rolls should be cut. The R42 signs are actually fairly common, but these Vignelli-colored signs like the R16 one I linked are extremely hard to find. That double-printed Vignelli-turned-Jubilee roll on the R17 box I've got would be totally inappropriate to cut, I think, because it's so hard to find. So there are varying standards. But as a whole, I don't think it's a total moral crisis in the way some of total purists would say.

I warned everybody I'd wax philosophical, so I did! Tl;dr -- nobody can fit a 25 foot sign and what's the point if you can't even look at it.

*philosophy*

You pretty much filled in all the unspoken gaps between my conclusions.

That R16 sign is really cool! I agree with you, I'd like to see the roll with the earlier letters. I had my eye on the full R44 Front Qns Blvd roll that houseofmemories had up, but it's just above my budget right now.