Your Transit Memorabilia

Brighton Local

Have always wanted to get my hands on a Vignelli sign, but I've never been able to find one. I figured if I ever did, it'd be way out of my price range. Imagine my surprise to finally get one of these beautiful old pieces for only $40, hidden under a newer sign!

MLS_2038_zpsho3cp9ds.jpg

It's a Unimark sign from 1968-1972 for the CC line. It's one of the modular pieces that could have been picked up and moved to another place. In fact, it's actually painted on top of a different sign: beneath it is "To Coney Island via McDonald Avenue." The format all matches what Vignelli and Noorda called for in their sign manual about the same time. Still have to clean it up a bit, but overall it's in pretty good shape.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. I wish they stuck with the modular design. Obviously they'd have to enlarge the text to meet ADA requirements, but those older signs had a degree of uniformity you don't see on today's signs. That and they were a bit more descriptive.

I agree. Vignelli and Noorda had a very practical and elegant system. I think the sign I've got must have come from below Hudson Terminal (perhaps in Brooklyn), as the transfer is to the (A) and not the (AA) like on most (CC) signs.

I worked for some time the past days cleaning up this sign and restoring the R17 signbox with some fresh paint. Here're the results (with the way the Vignelli sign looked when I bought it for a before/after):

IMG_6936_zps5wt4rrqm.jpg

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

IMG_6953_zpsfl6hosww.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsdjqzzrjt.jpg

IMG_6959_zpsh8k8s0ov.jpg

I agree. Vignelli and Noorda had a very practical and elegant system. I think the sign I've got must have come from below Hudson Terminal (perhaps in Brooklyn), as the transfer is to the (A) and not the (AA) like on most (CC) signs.

I worked for some time the past days cleaning up this sign and restoring the R17 signbox with some fresh paint. Here're the results (with the way the Vignelli sign looked when I bought it for a before/after):

IMG_6936_zps5wt4rrqm.jpg

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

IMG_6953_zpsfl6hosww.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsdjqzzrjt.jpg

IMG_6959_zpsh8k8s0ov.jpg

Great work! I saw that sign on ebay! I am glad you got a great value on the sign!

How did you get it off?

Great work! I saw that sign on ebay! I am glad you got a great value on the sign!

How did you get it off?

Thank you! 

The top 145 St. sticker was just a strong adhesive, needed a little hot water and some elbow grease. I managed to salvage most of the sticker, but it's pretty rough. The rest of the dirt and remaining pieces of sticker were tougher. I used a brush, various cleaning materials, and some poster tack balled up to pull off residue that had stuck without damaging anything. Technically, the layer of the sign on top is just another sticker (which is why it has some scratches on it), albeit an extremely old one. Underneath (and also on top) is the nearly scratch-proof steel enameled Coney island sign which is a slightly brighter white and a tougher material. I think I prefer this layer, however, to see those bullets for the (A) and (D). I believe that (A) bullet is in the original (A) color that Vignelli and co. chose, which is more of a royal blue than the one used today (PMS 300 vs. PMS 286, for those keeping score). 

• 3 weeks later...

Arrgh!  Look at all this stuff!

Hell of a collection! Interesting seeing those new-ish Helvetica R33-R36 rolls with the (9) on them, not something present on most redbirds. Those Arnine boxes are beautiful themselves. What are some of the un-rolled sections? 

Hell of a collection! Interesting seeing those new-ish Helvetica R33-R36 rolls with the (9) on them, not something present on most redbirds. Those Arnine boxes are beautiful themselves. What are some of the un-rolled sections? 

Thanks!

From memory, I believe the unrolled sections are:

• An R46 end route sign
  • Additional sections of the R33-36 side route sign that was cut up and framed (in the background)
  • Another complete R33-36 side route sign
  • A complete R33-36 end route sign
  • A complete BMT Standard destination sign
  • More sections of an R1-9 end route sign (like those framed) - that B/CC on one panel was always interesting to me
  • Additional sections of an R1-9 side destination sign (northern, if believe)
  • Also hiding somewhere is a complete R1-9 end destination sign, still in the sign box

In the boxes are both a R1-9 side route sign and a BMT Standard route sign.

My favorite, though, is the original R-16 end destination sign that looks like just a three panel segment, but is actually the entire roll hung in a shadow box.  That one was rare enough that I wouldn't go near it with a pair of scissors.  They only made 200 of those cars, and the signs were replaced with mylar less than 20 years after they were built.

Edited by sconnick

Thanks!

From memory, I believe the unrolled sections are:

• An R46 end route sign
  • Additional sections of the R33-36 side route sign that was cut up and framed (in the background)
  • Another complete R33-36 side route sign
  • A complete R33-36 end route sign
  • A complete BMT Standard destination sign
  • More sections of an R1-9 end route sign (like those framed) - that B/CC on one panel was always interesting to me
  • Additional sections of an R1-9 side destination sign (northern, if believe)
  • Also hiding somewhere is a complete R1-9 end destination sign, still in the sign box

In the boxes are both a R1-9 side route sign and a BMT Standard route sign.

My favorite, though, is the original R-16 end destination sign that looks like just a three panel segment, but is actually the entire roll hung in a shadow box.  That one was rare enough that I wouldn't go near it with a pair of scissors.  They only made 200 of those cars, and the signs were replaced with mylar less than 20 years after they were built.

Quite a collection! Is the R16 one pictured? That sounds like a very interesting one. The R16s had some of the most interesting rolls, as those mylar rolls from the late 1960s that were placed inside are also some of the most colorful and elegant rolls the system's seen. 

Quite a collection! Is the R16 one pictured? That sounds like a very interesting one. The R16s had some of the most interesting rolls, as those mylar rolls from the late 1960s that were placed inside are also some of the most colorful and elegant rolls the system's seen. 

Yup, the R16 destination sign is the tall one - Rockaway Parkway, Eastern Parkway, 8th Ave Manhattan.

It was replaced by those very colorful (and VERY hard to find) mylar rolls.

Yup, the R16 destination sign is the tall one - Rockaway Parkway, Eastern Parkway, 8th Ave Manhattan.

It was replaced by those very colorful (and VERY hard to find) mylar rolls.

Aren't they! I saw a full R16 sign box with a colored roll pop on eBay for $850 once, and it immediately sold. Very desirable! I've got a green CC cut from one of those rolls on my wall, great piece of deign. Interesting font on the R16 you've got, something between the original R1 font and R32 font it looks like.

Aren't they! I saw a full R16 sign box with a colored roll pop on eBay for $850 once, and it immediately sold. Very desirable! I've got a green CC cut from one of those rolls on my wall, great piece of deign. Interesting font on the R16 you've got, something between the original R1 font and R32 font it looks like.

adgpbo.jpg

You're right, looking at it now next to this sign in my garage, from R4 #757, it is just a bit different. Even the material has a slightly different feel...

And those brightly colored ones are just waaaay to expensive for my collection. It's bad enough how much the rest of this has cost me thus far!

You're right, looking at it now next to this sign in my garage, from R4 #757, it is just a bit different. Even the material has a slightly different feel...

And those brightly colored ones are just waaaay to expensive for my collection. It's bad enough how much the rest of this has cost me thus far!

That R4 piece is beautiful. Does it still crank? My guess is that'd be the difference between cloth-like vellum and whatever material the TA used just before the mylar rolls, but it's hard to say.

I'm with you; I love the Vignelli rollsigns, but it's an arm and a leg each time I even go near one. I wonder if the solution will be selling a couple of the porcelain signs that seem to be in more general demand. Or blunt luck! I even tried writing to the producers of the signs once, vaguely hoping they might have some leftovers in the old storage rooms. No chance.

Also, for those keeping score at home, each week this eBay seller has a collection of beautiful old porcelain signs for sale. I've never been able to get one as they sell for more than I'm usually willing to pay, but technically speaking there have been some phenomenal deals relative to the signs' actual values: http://www.ebay.com/sch/ktorreg/m.html?item=181895174847.

Edited by MHV9218

That R4 piece is beautiful. Does it still crank? My guess is that'd be the difference between cloth-like vellum and whatever material the TA used just before the mylar rolls, but it's hard to say.

I'm with you; I love the Vignelli rollsigns, but it's an arm and a leg each time I even go near one. I wonder if the solution will be selling a couple of the porcelain signs that seem to be in more general demand. Or blunt luck! I even tried writing to the producers of the signs once, vaguely hoping they might have some leftovers in the old storage rooms. No chance.

Also, for those keeping score at home, each week this eBay seller has a collection of beautiful old porcelain signs for sale. I've never been able to get one as they sell for more than I'm usually willing to pay, but technically speaking there have been some phenomenal deals relative to the signs' actual values: http://www.ebay.com/sch/ktorreg/m.html?item=181895174847.

Yep, the R4 roll still cranks - and pretty smoothly at that.  Probably some cancer-causing chemical in the grease used to lube the gears decades ago that never breaks down.  I didn't pay much for that sign, either - maybe $150 in the box.  The eBay seller had two and they just didn't get bid up for whatever reason.  I missed the other one by a few minutes, but virtually stole this one.  Especially with that houseofmemories nut cutting everything up and marking it up 1000%.

I initially picked up a few segments for the artistic appeal, but I quickly got hooked on the actual historical importance of collecting them and as such, I have a fondness for complete rolls now.  Mostly older stuff.  The most expensive items are probably the complete BMT Standard rolls.  One destination sign (not pictured) and one route sign.  

Anything with a lot of rail dust!

Yep, the R4 roll still cranks - and pretty smoothly at that.  Probably some cancer-causing chemical in the grease used to lube the gears decades ago that never breaks down.  I didn't pay much for that sign, either - maybe $150 in the box.  The eBay seller had two and they just didn't get bid up for whatever reason.  I missed the other one by a few minutes, but virtually stole this one.  Especially with that houseofmemories nut cutting everything up and marking it up 1000%.

I initially picked up a few segments for the artistic appeal, but I quickly got hooked on the actual historical importance of collecting them and as such, I have a fondness for complete rolls now.  Mostly older stuff.  The most expensive items are probably the complete BMT Standard rolls.  One destination sign (not pictured) and one route sign.  

Anything with a lot of rail dust!

Those cancer-causing chemicals are miraculous, aren't they! I actually get nauseated when I spend too much time cleaning the R17 roll box I've got, and that's only 60 years old! I leave it on a shelf and pray the fumes don't float down too much. $150 is astounding for one of those! I'll have to watch for an auction like that. Sometimes you do get lucky--I snared a couple porcelain signs, including an 11x12 Grand Central piece for $60 each a few months back. Not that I intend to sell them, but I think that must have been quite a deal.

You're right, not only does HoM sell them for incredible prices, but I see a fair number of the 1930s-1940s rollsigns and porcelain pieces being sold by other auction places for extravagant rates. The most amazing I've seen yet is $950 for a 3x6 "Not for Exit" sign off a turnstile, which I've seen sell for $35 on eBay. I actually starting buying up a couple signs from that era that aren't of much interest to me for decent prices, may go to one of those auction places and offer to sell it over to them. Gotta raise funds to buy the really interesting stuff somehow! 

I'm with you on the whole rolls. If I had the space and the money, I'd love to have a few sign boxes from those historic rolls sometimes. I've settled for a few fragments of the ones I know I'll never be able to afford or find a box for, like an original R42 and original R46 piece. The satisfaction of actually cranking a sign is something that tickles my inner 12 year-old, however. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got that (GG) piece framed up. Also salvaged an old porcelain double-sided No Smoking sign from the 30s that was covered in paint and dirt, worked for a little while and got it in decent shape. These were mounted onto pillars in stations through the 70s and 80s, pretty hard to find these days.

IMG_7211_zpsif5jsyfs.jpg

IMG_7190_zpstrgyu3cf.jpg

IMG_7191_zpseyihgebe.jpg

If anybody ever wants to clean up one of these, two words: baking soda. Miracle stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my stuff:

1.Station poster from Times Square about Hudson Yards test trains

(someone kindly pointed us to the trash can,where at least 10 of them had just been placed in pretty good condition.A nice consolation prize for just missing the wrapped R62A.We took the R188 that left 34th right before it-thinking there weren't any on the line <_< ...)

2.Old (R) train FASTRACK poster from 2013...

3.SEPTA Shuttle bus sign bought from their transit store (about 4 years ago). Thinking of making a brown sticker with "Newtown" on it just for kicks...

22862870552_18da69eee6_b.jpg

Here is my stuff:

1.Station poster from Times Square about Hudson Yards test trains

(someone kindly pointed us to the trash can,where at least 10 of them had just been placed in pretty good condition.A nice consolation prize for just missing the wrapped R62A.We took the R188 that left 34th right before it-thinking there weren't any on the line <_< ...)

2.Old (R) train FASTRACK poster from 2013...

3.SEPTA Shuttle bus sign bought from their transit store (about 4 years ago). Thinking of making a brown sticker with "Newtown" on it just for kicks...

22862870552_18da69eee6_b.jpg

that person who pointed was me. It was really annoying when that R62A started going toward Hudson Yards.