Your Transit Memorabilia

Brighton Local

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this dude has been sitting on this sign box for a while now. Few people are going to shell out nearly $2,000 for a sign box.

I'm pretty sure that signbox and the plastic sign for the 7 to Shea Stadium are both formerly from the personal collection of Charles Fiori, who worked for the TA in the 1980s. He sold much of what he kept, and I think HoM has been trying to resell them (for a 500%+ markup) since then.

I'm pretty sure that signbox and the plastic sign for the 7 to Shea Stadium are both formerly from the personal collection of Charles Fiori, who worked for the TA in the 1980s. He sold much of what he kept, and I think HoM has been trying to resell them (for a 500%+ markup) since then.

OK, thanks for telling us. It is rediculous that he is actually able to do that.

A while back the MTA did have a couple R62 sign boxes for sale, most likely from the cars that were written off from damage due to various incidents like the Union Square wreck.

All the signs and parts that the (MTA) has/had for sale on their memorabilia site was part of their car reefing program, which a few R62s were part of. They currently don't have asset recovery plans for the next set of cars scheduled for retirement, so anyone interested should light the fire under the (MTA) to let them know there is interest for this stuff.

• 1 month later...

Is there anyone with any Maps timetables... Rollsigns or rollsign cuts or any old Station signs or Train logos for cheip prices??? Mainly from 10 to 100 Dollars? I'm on a big lookout for Memorabilia to extend my Collection.... Thank you all for those who Reply and help out and give me Recommendations.. Have a goodnight.

Is there anyone with any Maps timetables... Rollsigns or rollsign cuts or any old Station signs or Train logos for cheip prices??? Mainly from 10 to 100 Dollars? I'm on a big lookout for Memorabilia to extend my Collection.... Thank you all for those who Reply and help out and give me Recommendations.. Have a goodnight.

There's a decent variety of <$100 rollsigns on eBay at any given time, and occasionally some really good deals come up. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=subway+rollsign&_sacat=0

I know about those but I'm preferably looking for full rollsigns. ..I was able to get a Full R33 Flushung Car rollsign. For 20$ a R32 Rollsign for 20 and a Gigantic SEPTA LRG Rollsign for 20 that's 60 all together I only get a small allowance that's reason for it. And there is a specific rollsign I am looking for currently. A full version of the 1985 R32/30/27 Rollsign For example <N> Broadway local

• 4 weeks later...

Heads up, a few full-length sign curtains have been put up for auction/sale on eBay.

2001 R40/42 side route sign

Arnine side northern destination roll and sign box

1930s Arnine side route sign (updated for Chrystie routes) with box

IRT original bulkhead route sign with box

I've included a few more expensive pieces here because I believe their prices are well-justified given their age and rarity.

• 2 weeks later...

Current collection

6QW9Jx8.jpg?1

Maps

1969, fair condition

1972, second edition, good condition

1979, poor condition

May 1987, great condtion (my personal favorite)

March 2011 (my first map when I moved to the city)

September 2015, 7 Extension edition

September 2015, current issue

e5EX73e.jpg?1

September 2015 map, 7 Extension edition

k0VuQXn.jpg?1

Various service change posters and MTA career fair giveaway rulers

m0q5yXZ.jpg?1

R42 car number, framed with a photo of its car

rFzs2DA.jpg?1

Retired ASP sign

Heads up, a few full-length sign curtains have been put up for auction/sale on eBay.

2001 R40/42 side route sign

Arnine side northern destination roll and sign box

1930s Arnine side route sign (updated for Chrystie routes) with box

IRT original bulkhead route sign with box

I've included a few more expensive pieces here because I believe their prices are well-justified given their age and rarity.

Bumping to note that the side Arnine box has gotten significantly cheaper: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131786706674?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Another Arnine box with unfortunately less interesting routes (no A-D Manhattan lines, Second System readings blacked out, no 1968 lines) has also been listed for a very low price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291739638907?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Smallfire85 (member here) has also listed a complete IRT north destination route sign for a very fair price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191848068327?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If I had endless money, one day I'd buy a series of original IRT rolls and fit them in a redbird sign box to create the original 1960s routes. Everything needed is available on eBay right now, I think.

--

I'll have to get a better photo some time, but a little while back I managed to pick up and get framed (for extremely cheap--567 Framing does a great job) one of my absolute favorite things. This is an original 1976 Vignelli station map. Had to clear out a lot of stuff to bite the bullet and purchase it, but it's basically the centerpiece of my home now (partially cause there's no wall space for much else). 

IMG_7916_zpssee9cj1h.jpg

Edited by MHV9218

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/clothes2theedge/m.html?item=322109918656&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This seller, located in Brooklyn, is clearing out literally thousands of pieces of subway and bus memorabilia. Multiple copies of every map released since the 1960s, posters, plates, the like. I got in touch and picked up some great items, but they're looking to sell as much as much as possible. Excellent prices on the eBay listings too. 

Cleaned out my inventory from the last time I was in this thread, got rid of the majority of my old bus timetables and G.O posters. Only things I have left are...

-January 2003 subway map

-March 2013 subway map showing the (H) in the Rockaways

- (R) G.O poster (in color) from 2011 via 6 Av/53 St

- (G) G.O poster (the orange ones) from 2010 that kicked the line off Queens Blvd permanently

-Hurricane Sandy subway poster from November 20, 2012

-Bus run box that I use as a calendar

-1990 & 2006 SEPTA Regional map

-Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx bus maps from 2008

-Track worker vest

-Fresh Pond depot sticker

...since I also make cubes and pyramids from old metro cards, I have a lot of Metro cards. Found one that expired in 1999 and from 2007.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/clothes2theedge/m.html?item=322109918656&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This seller, located in Brooklyn, is clearing out literally thousands of pieces of subway and bus memorabilia. Multiple copies of every map released since the 1960s, posters, plates, the like. I got in touch and picked up some great items, but they're looking to sell as much as much as possible. Excellent prices on the eBay listings too.

I kinda chuckled at the SEPTA map. I have that one in my closet somewhere, and I have one from 1990 on my wall right now.

Back when Cecil B. Moore was still called Columbia, and YoNo apartments right off Broad St was still called Philadelphia Geriatric Center.

Edited by Turtle

I saw that and nearly screamed! Some interesting full rolls up there right now, though...like seeing the redbird and Vignelli R40 stuff up for less than a grand a roll.

Some stuff picked up over the past few months:

1987ish J/M/Z sign. These are brown stickers over black circles with a white outline--an era of a lot of debate over what bullet colors and letters would like like. Picked this up with the 9 Street sign for $30 each.

MLS_3705_zpswaffjvrg.jpg

1974ish 9 Street sign, porcelain enamel:

MLS_3707_zpsfvtapzlj.jpg

Blueprints for the R62 and R68 car classes:

MLS_3753_zpslequ1lzj.jpg

A bunch of posters from the mid-1980s, including:

MLS_3787_zpshtdzvddn.jpg

MLS_3788_zpsw5nvsapu.jpg

1930s No Smoking/Spitting Sign:

MLS_3724_zpsbfvruiwr.jpg

1930s-1940s pillar signs, happiest to find that West 4th Street one (home station for years):

MLS_3424_zpshrxn0qnj.jpg

Eyes always open for more stuff, and really looking for Vignelli-era rollsigns if anybody is interested in trades. Many other posters and maps too.

Edited by MHV9218

Are you interested in a trade? I have a lot of stuff listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/Transit_Memorabilia

A lot of my stuff is not listed here. I have additional NJT, SEPTA, Washington Metro, MBTA, Chicago stuff, as well as stuff from all over the country.