Your Transit Memorabilia

Brighton Local

Hey all,

Went to the NYC Model Transit Association train show in New Brunswick this past Saturday and added a couple goodies to my collection:

A KK rollsign section from an R42 I believe:

IMG_20160604_2319475772.jpg

A St Louis Car Co./ M-K Co.  re-builder's plate:

IMG_20160605_224711029.jpg

A couple 1990s timetables and maps (maps not shown):

IMG_20160605_224908963.jpg

IMG_20160605_224915552.jpg

An R27 Side Route Roll. I'm going to set it up in one of the boxes I have after I clear up some space for it.

IMG_20160605_225145592_HDR.jpg

And an early R44 SIRT End sign (off eBay, but arrived Saturday):

IMG_20160604_215306092.jpg

Needless to say it feels like the day after Christmas for me!

Edited by SmallParkShuttle

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real beauties! I saw that SIRTOA roll on eBay -- everybody should get in touch with that seller (clothes2theedge), cause they've got an incredible amount of stuff and are looking for a buyer of everything. That KK roll is a beauty, and I'm eager to see the R27-R30 roll. I assume that one's of the "8 Avenue Local" type signs that was mounted in 3380-3381 and 3807 before vandals got to them?

Yep. It's the one I created for the Rollsign Gallery way back when. <C> and all. I do like seeing those R40/42 side signs (these ones are from around 1969 if you're wondering) at least somewhat intact. Even just finding one with all of the signs for one particular route is quite hard to find nowadays. Most of the remaining signs are cut up and put up for auction at quite ridiculous prices if you ask me.

That KK roll was one of the first things I saw when I walked in to the show and I pounced on it. There was a plethora of stuff at the show; it was the transit enthusiast's garage sale. I would recommend anyone looking for transit memorabilia to check it out. The next one is in October and will be held in Parsippany, NJ.

Some pics from this month's show: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAtcejy

That KK roll was one of the first things I saw when I walked in to the show and I pounced on it. There was a plethora of stuff at the show; it was the transit enthusiast's garage sale. I would recommend anyone looking for transit memorabilia to check it out. The next one is in October and will be held in Parsippany, NJ.

Some pics from this month's show: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAtcejy

Those photos are great. It's a total schlep but maybe I'll drag myself out some time. That bin of complete rollsigns is enough to make we wanna go out alone. How did prices compare to eBay?

Those photos are great. It's a total schlep but maybe I'll drag myself out some time. That bin of complete rollsigns is enough to make we wanna go out alone. How did prices compare to eBay?

I'd want to say good to awesome. The KK roll I got for $100 and the R27 one for $150 (two different vendors). It's a really great environment, plenty of people to talk with - many who have been around for a while - all who love what we love.

• 2 weeks later...

This cool rollsign is on ebay. I want to get it, but it is pricey. Not for this item though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322180363660?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

28035955626_2bd8382baf_b.jpgs-l1600-10 by spicker613, on Flickr

28035956036_dd40fa14a7.jpgs-l500 by spicker613, on Flickr

27967150452_d7bfe0da43.jpgs-l500-1 by spicker613, on Flickr

27967150552_4f581ea26f_b.jpgs-l1600-11 by spicker613, on Flickr

Has anyone successfully wired a line sign for 110v home power and/or have suggestions on how to do it? I have a line sign from an r42 and I've been dying to power it up. From the sticker on the inside, it looks like it takes 37volts, which is an unusual voltage so finding a power supply that matches is tough. I want to try to match the original input as best I can to restore full functionality (scroll + lights).

My plan is to first get the electrics working again, then I want to build a small enclosure to hold the whole thing (so that I can pretty up the front without actually modifying the original case).

Picked this up for cheap... Original R15 number plate from car 6219. This was the most colorful number plate ever seen in service--the R12s and R14s originally had colored plates with an orange on grey, but this yellow on black was only ever done for the R15 plate. Most of them didn't last, either. The story with these is that in the 1960s and 1970s as the TA standardized number plates and color schemes, the original black and yellow plates were covered up with white numbers and moved from mid-level on the carbody to the high position of number plates today. The cars were also given the silver-and-blue corporate scheme, though that happened more gradually. The same happened with all of the IRT SMEE fleet's number plates, though notably some R17s kept the low plates until retirement. That was the end of the differing plate position between the IRT and the IND. The last yellow on black number plates were covered over and moved by 1972 (most by 1970), so that makes this one a real rarity. Heavy plate too.

MLS_8737_zps6xhubt1y.jpg

A couple more rolls added to the collection. Pictured is a SMEE B Division Side Route Rollsign from the late 1960s:

WP_20160710_001.jpg

WP_20160710_005.jpg

WP_20160710_010.jpg

I Set it up in an R32 side frame along with the R27 roll I got last month:

IMG_20160716_245026864.jpg

IMG_20160716_245209252.jpg

IMG_20160716_245347237.jpg

I also have a matching 1960s end destination route sign, I'll try to get pics of it later.

Speaking of sign frames, does anyone have any extra R32 side frames or parts (like many people have an R32 frame just lying around...)? A couple of the plastic gears on my frame are cracked and I don't think replacements will be easy to find.

A couple more rolls added to the collection. Pictured is a SMEE B Division Side Route Rollsign from the late 1960s:

I Set it up in an R32 side frame along with the R27 roll I got last month:

I also have a matching 1960s end destination route sign, I'll try to get pics of it later.

Speaking of sign frames, does anyone have any extra R32 side frames or parts (like many people have an R32 frame just lying around...)? A couple of the plastic gears on my frame are cracked and I don't think replacements will be easy to find.

Absolutely beautiful--some of my favorite rolls after their IRT counterparts, so colorful and striking. Interesting to see the QJ mod and the S Special reading, had never seen those.

I have spares, whatcha need?

If you--or anybody--has an front route box (IRT or IND), preferably empty, I'll buy / trade.