Summer Cuts in Bus Service

Union Tpke

3 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well, it was only a matter of time before they started chipping away M55 service. The only area where the bus has a decent load is from about Houston Street to about 14 Street in the NB direction. 

Do you think it will be eliminated with the Bus Redesign for Manhattan?

10 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I'll answer this with my opinion:

The most that is going to happen is a lot of split up/downtown routes. Most routes would probably run somewhere between Midtown and South Ferry/battery park, with some between Midtown and Harlem, and the rest between Harlem and the heights. 

In terms of routes that go almost the entire length of Manhattan + the M55, I feel the M55 will be kept, but with crappy headways like it will in the summer. The M1, 2, 15, 102 and 103 are the only ones I see barely being touched, with the M98 "expanding service" to replace the M101 along 3/lex.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I'll answer this with my opinion:

The most that is going to happen is a lot of split up/downtown routes. Most routes would probably run somewhere between Midtown and South Ferry/battery park, with some between Midtown and Harlem, and the rest between Harlem and the heights. 

In terms of routes that go almost the entire length of Manhattan + the M55, I feel the M55 will be kept, but with crappy headways like it will in the summer. The M1, 2, 15, 102 and 103 are the only ones I see barely being touch, with the M98 "expanding service" to replace the M101 along 3/lex.

I could see them cutting the M98.

13 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

IDK, because anything can happen with that route. However, I do see the number of North-South routes being diminished south of Houston Street. The M20 and M55 just don't carry a lot, the M55 essentially has two different sets of riders in each direction because of its route path, and the only ones actually pulling some weight are the M9, M15 and M103. That being said, LES is more bus-dependent than most of Lower Manhattan.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the M98 is discontinued either, but in terms of "cutting routes" I feel it's "cheaper" to cut the southern M101 terminal to Harlem, provide added midday service on the M98 and call it a day. In MTA world, weekend service should be good with the M102/103.

I'm sure something will indeed happen with the M98 and/or M101.

26 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

This isn’t anything new. Bus service all around is reduced every summer.

Just what I came in here to say, upon reading the thread title....

Although with these talks about the individual borough redesigns, I get the sense that this time around, some of these revisions won't be reverted after summer's end.....

40 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well, it was only a matter of time before they started chipping away M55 service. The only area where the bus has a decent load is from about Houston Street to about 14 Street in the NB direction. 

I've noticed this too.... Shit's pretty much dead in Midtown.... <sarcasm>I wonder why....</sarcasm>

36 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

If it means a restructuring to have *some* route running from the southern tip of Manhattan to (at least) Central Park South, I'd be rooting for it....

Never cared for the M55.....

25 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

So can I..... The bastardizing of the thing to (around) Hunter Coll. is a tell tale sign... MTA tends to do things like this in baby steps (to me, it's more like rubbing it in riders' faces)...

22 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

IDK, because anything can happen with that route. However, I do see the number of North-South routes being diminished south of Houston Street. The M20 and M55 just don't carry a lot, the M55 essentially has two different sets of riders in each direction because of its route path, and the only ones actually pulling some weight are the M9, M15 and M103. That being said, LES is more bus-dependent than most of Lower Manhattan.

Not that coverage/usage south of Houston isn't isn't important, but personally I'm more worried about an area of Manhattan where local buses are far more patronized - Harlem & points north....

Sure, you have your M100's, M35's, Bx7's, etc (routes that never pan south of Harlem), but the north-south trunk routes (or however you want to dub them) that run through (so-called) Manhattan north have the headways that they do, because they run to & through Midtown... Or, "the real Manhattan", as some like to distinguish that part of the borough as.....

Edited by B35 via Church

...and then the (MTA) spends millions of dollars every year trying to figure out why people take a f**king Uber, even a person under the poverty line would sacrifice $15 or $20 if they saw that their wait time in the middle of the PM rush was 15-20 minutes...