Man delays 740 trains by activating emergency brakes.

Abba

3 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

I just read that he is now out on bail thanks to his mother.

The bail was set at $10,000.

Just what we needed, this individual back on the streets in two days flat.

What got me is the fact that he has been arrested 17 times on transit related crimes. Someone like him needs to learn his lesson, and with him getting out so fast like that doesn’t help him learn anything. So committing another crime is nothing for him because he knows the consequences are not harsh. It’s a shame because one person is causing all those delays, affecting  other people’s lives. I would be upset if I was going for a job interview and ended up being late because someone pulled the emergency break in the middle of the tunnel. People like him need to learn the hard way because his behavior is not okay. 

34 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s a shame because one person is causing all those delays, affecting  other people’s lives. I would be upset if I was going for a job interview and ended up being late because someone pulled the emergency break in the middle of the tunnel. People like him need to learn the hard way because his behavior is not okay. 

He has 17 previous arrests, all in the transit system, including numerous cases of reckless endangerment and assault.

In a July 2018 instance, Thompson was arrested for allegedly hanging onto the outside of a C train, and in November 2018, he allegedly attempted to throw a woman at the Halsey Street station in Brooklyn. He's also accused of slashing a man at the Jay Street-MetroTech station in Downtown Brooklyn.

Delays are probably the least of our worries:

• reckless endangerment
  • assault
  • attempting to throw a woman
  • slashing a man

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

What got me is the fact that he has been arrested 17 times on transit related crimes. Someone like him needs to learn his lesson, and with him getting out so fast like that doesn’t help him learn anything. So committing another crime is nothing for him because he knows the consequences are not harsh. It’s a shame because one person is causing all those delays, affecting  other people’s lives. I would be upset if I was going for a job interview and ended up being late because someone pulled the emergency break in the middle of the tunnel. People like him need to learn the hard way because his behavior is not okay. 

That is the reason that I am furious that this person was let out on bail and only $10,000. Bail was being considered (and it is my opinion that it should have not been offered in the first place due to the seriousness of the offense) if it was it should have been 10 -20 times higher. 

This man is a danger to society in no uncertain terms and he must be kept locked up through trial. At least with him on Rikers Island, transit riders and employees will feel a bit safer (hopefully) unless we start to see copy cats. 

If this is the first stage of the judicial process for this person, then I am afraid what will happen at the following stages of the process when the plea bargaining starts occurring. 

11 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

I just read that he is now out on bail thanks to his mother.

The bail was set at $10,000.

Just what we needed, this individual back on the streets in two days flat.

I agree with the notion that he needs to learn the hard way, and by that I mean that this crackhead (who sounds like he’s only worth $0.05) should be punished with the disruption of a public service and the endangerment of others lives with No bail whatsoever. 

Ir at least something harsh.

15 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I agree with the notion that he needs to learn the hard way, and by that I mean that this crackhead (who sounds like he’s only worth $0.05should be punished with the disruption of a public service and the endangerment of others lives with No bail whatsoever. [...]

Punished?! How?
(Ethically) Reform is the goal of a criminal justice system, not punishment. I do find it worrying that given his repeated crimes (according the ABC7 link) that he was released so readily...

On 5/25/2019 at 6:32 PM, CenSin said:

Delays are probably the least of our worries:

• reckless endangerment
  • assault
  • attempting to throw a woman
  • slashing a man

Public Lewdness as well. He flashed himself many times to females on the train, even when surfing in the back of it!

On 5/26/2019 at 2:46 PM, Truck said:

Punished?! How?
(Ethically) Reform is the goal of a criminal justice system, not punishment. I do find it worrying that given his repeated crimes (according the ABC7 link) that he was released so readily...

He shouldn’t have been released on bail. Certainly not for just $10,000 and definitely not in just two days flat. He’s been arrested 17 times. And he showed zero remorse when the reporter asked him about what he did. He’s not going to learn his lesson by being granted bail and released on his own recognizance (ROR). The slashing, assaults and trying to throw the woman off the platform at Halsey should have been plenty of reason to deny him bail/ROR. I wish I knew what the hell this judge was thinking in releasing Thompson so quickly and easily. 

But I will say this: He needs to be locked up. If not prison, then he needs to be in a mental institution. Because he’s definitely a danger to society. Not to mention himself if he’s surfing trains while exposing himself.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 6/3/2019 at 8:02 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

He shouldn’t have been released on bail. Certainly not for just $10,000 and definitely not in just two days flat. He’s been arrested 17 times. And he showed zero remorse when the reporter asked him about what he did. He’s not going to learn his lesson by being granted bail and released on his own recognizance (ROR). The slashing, assaults and trying to throw the woman off the platform at Halsey should have been plenty of reason to deny him bail/ROR. I wish I knew what the hell this judge was thinking in releasing Thompson so quickly and easily. 

But I will say this: He needs to be locked up. If not prison, then he needs to be in a mental institution. Because he’s definitely a danger to society. Not to mention himself if he’s surfing trains while exposing himself.

I mean, yes, if there's unrepentant criminal behavior especially with such disregard for others the sentence should be substantial. 

But well, some notes: 

1) he wasn't released ROR - that is when someone is released pending trial *without* bail. That happens in 85% of criminal cases. 

2) He was charged with Reckless Endangerment and Crim Tresspass - misdemeanors, NY rules say the judge has to offer bail if the top charge is a misdemeanor, so, maybe it should have been higher. 

Edit: Actually i looked it up and the Times was wrong, top charge is Criminal Tampering, a more appropriate charge, and a D Felony. So, actually yes technically bail could have been denied

3) A distinction without much of a difference: It isn't 17 arrests, it's 17 prior charges, stemming from 7 arrests. All seem to be of this year and still pending trial. 

I haven't spent more than a few minutes looking through court records but I don't actually see that he's been convicted of anything, and the top (prior) pending charge against him is a misdemeanor. The attempted assault felony charge was dismissed - I don't immediately see why so - but the court isn't going to regard a dismissed charge in rendering its decisions. I know it doesn't seem high, and I understand the feeling that bail should be higher, but from a legal perspective, that's actually pretty high for the charge for someone with no convictions - speaking relative to the average case at least. 

He's due in court on June 20 for all the outstanding charges and the part is listed as "APY2" 

This alternative to incarceration program serves all misdemeanor defendants ages 16-24 boroughwide. Brooklyn Justice Initiative’s young adult alternatives to incarceration program offers a broad range of alternative sentencing options, including on-site services and referrals to community-based services including, but not limited to: mental health, drug treatment, education, employment and job training. The goal of the programs is to increase the availability of social services and community-based programs for adolescent and young adult offenders and reduce the use of traditional cases dispositions.

I'm not gonna argue the pros or cons of programs like this here, nor take a side on it at all, but Proponents will say that programs like this for low level charges can avoid the initial incarceration that begins a cycle of recidivism and reincarceration. Even proponents won't claim it's appropriate for all defendants. 

Edit: Since he's now been charged with a felony, and is showing no remorse and a continued pattern that has made the news, I wouldn't be shocked if those cases are removed to the regular trial calendar. 

Google "webcrim nys courts", navigate through the worlds worst website interface and you too can play along at home. 

Please do not assume that I'm defending anyone, supporting any court decisions, legal precedents or taking any sides here. I have intentionally attempted to express no opinion I'm just explaining what I know about criminal procedure law and what I found in public records. 

Edited by itmaybeokay
revision to reflect felony charge