Train Enthusiast and First Time Rider

Smoot178

Hello there! Recently I went on a trip to Massachusetts from my home of Florida and on the way we were able to stop in New York for 2 days. I was pretty excited to see the big city but something other than the city itself made me want to go back. That was the Subway.

I have always had a deep fascination with trains. I use to get a load of train-sets when I was younger and I absolutely loved playing with them. To my demise, however, I was not able to ride on any of them until last week.

Right so you may be wondering why I am so excited. I don't know really. When I first rode the (MTA) Subway, I was actually kinda scared. For one, I wasn't expecting the quick acceleration coming out of the station. I wasn't holding on to anything so I nearly fell to my knees. A little bit down the line, we went around a corner and how did the car rock back and forth. Not to mention the loud "crunching" sound. I came off the train nearly shaking, but I absolutely loved the ride.

I really miss the experience, and I hope to move there someday to ride again.

I have been researching the different types of trains, and I can say with a little certainty I was on an R68, R143, and R160. I mostly rode the (A) from Jay St. into Manhattan as I was staying at the Marriott at Jay St. I know I was on a few other routes, but I can hardly remember.

That's my experience, and I hope you are happy to hear about it. I'll browse the forums a bit, reading about other people's adventures and mishaps.

Cya round! :(

Edit: Oh I also have a few pictures!

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

Look for the rat:

IMG_0179.JPG

This one didnt want to post for some reason:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Smoot178/Desktop?authkey=WagBlEjVfjY#5258607434748424146

If you would like to see all my pictures from the trip:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Smoot178/Trip#

Greetings!

Well it is RAPID transit..... Some trams trollys etc down in florida, ya, but the subway goes highway speeds & those bars polls etc are not there for decoration though they do add to the "cool" factor on some car models. Every tourist i've ever seen that looked totally new to the subway as they boarded all most falls down or does. Takes years of riding to ignore all the various forces at work on you and some folks don't even hold on to anything & are fine. Some folks i know still have a fear of the subway because they fell on their arses first time on even though i told them to sit down! :(

- A

Welcome to the NYCT Forums. Glad you enjoyed our beautiful city. Sorry you had Jay St. as your first subway station. It's not like that normally. It's just been taking forever for renovation on that station.

Actually it wasn't that bad. The only time it affected me was late night when we had to take another route around.

Welcome here, and I was a newbie too once, I remember I rode the (A) from 50th to 125th Street, and I was supposed to wind up in Greenwich Village... Idk how I got in Harlem, and plus there was a homeless guy pointing a needle to his arm, so you can imagine what kind of impression I got. ;) But I got used to it after a few more trips to NY, and there's nothing to fear now.

Enjoy your stay. :cool:

Archived