Bronx Redesign Draft Released

42 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like # 5 better. Only because you don’t have to go intra-borough Bronx to Queens just to get to Downtown Manhattan. 

I can see preferring my Option 5 because stops can be added to serve Hudson Yards (and possibly parts of the Upper West Side). I don't understand preferring a slower route just to avoid passing through another borough.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like # 5 better. Only because you don’t have to go intra-borough Bronx to Queens just to get to Downtown Manhattan. 

Just because a route goes through a different borough to get to Manhattan doesn't mean it's slower. Look at the SI routes that go through Brooklyn to reach Manhattan. Heck, some routes travel through a different state to go to Manhattan.

As for the BxM18 (And the BxM17 if the #5 proposal is chosen), I believe that a few more stops could be added to attract ridership. On the west side, I would add stops at 42nd Street, 51st Street and 57th Street (Since the BxM18 stops on those streets now and west-side Midtown could get some riders from this.) What the BxM18 does better now is that it stops at the WFC which used to be exclusive to the SI express buses.

2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Just because a route goes through a different borough to get to Manhattan doesn't mean it's slower. Look at the SI routes that go through Brooklyn to reach Manhattan. Heck, some routes travel through a different state to go to Manhattan.

As for the BxM18 (And the BxM17 if the #5 proposal is chosen), I believe that a few more stops could be added to attract ridership. On the west side, I would add stops at 42nd Street, 51st Street and 57th Street (Since the BxM18 stops on those streets now and west-side Midtown could get some riders from this.) What the BxM18 does better now is that it stops at the WFC which used to be exclusive to the SI express buses.

I could also see demand for a stop on Riverside Drive at 116th or 120th for Columbia University.

Also, I'd use 12th Avenue and West End northbound instead of 10th and Amsterdam.

3 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I could also see demand for a stop on Riverside Drive at 116th or 120th for Columbia University.

The BxM18 would be on the highway at that point so It couldn't stop there unless if you want to go on local streets in that area and sit in more traffic. If the BxM2 stays in it's proposed routing, that should be making the stop for Columbia University.

2 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Lil 57 It looks like the BxM18 will turn off West Street onto Chambers and not serve the WFC

It says that a stop would be placed at Chambers/Greenwich, which is an 8-minute walk to the WFC. Not exactly at the WFC but a short walk from it.

17 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The BxM18 would be on the highway at that point so It couldn't stop there unless if you want to go on local streets in that area and sit in more traffic. If the BxM2 stays in it's proposed routing, that should be making the stop for Columbia University.

The map on page 144 shows the BxM18 on Riverside Drive, complete with the split roadway around Grant's Tomb.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like # 5 better. Only because you don’t have to go intra-borough Bronx to Queens just to get to Downtown Manhattan. 

Those buses will just get stuck all day on the Cross Bronx. By the time you'll get to Downtown using the Cross Bronx, it'll already be PM rush (might as well sleep in at work for the next day, if they haven't fired you).

3 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The map on page 144 shows the BxM18 on Riverside Drive, complete with the split roadway around Grant's Tomb.

I see. Why take the local streets if the highway is right next to you from 72nd up?

6 hours ago, Lex said:

I consider that entire concept to be a mess and a half, mostly because there aren't really any good places to run it. Hell, the proposed route reeks of trying to keep it out of the heart of Midtown and especially off of 5th Avenue (ditto for the BxM18 proposal).

.....That's basically every QM downtown route(avoiding Midtown and focusing on the Financial District).

I hope some schedule information comes out.

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The M125/Bx15 split ain't a bad concept. I actually think this would help the route somewhat because boarding and walking at 149 St and Third Avenue to points north is nearly impossible. 

This only thing I would really change is moving the Bx15 stop to where the Bx41 is currently now (prior to 2015).

I didn't say that the split isn't bad, I'm pretty much for it. What I don't like is the M125 designation. The purpose for the route is good(sorta), it just verbally sounds bad.

4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe lose the "1" and call it M25.

That sounds much better.

15 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So now they think that they can squeeze in new environmentally-friendly NovaBus LFS buses (and for some short period, any remaining Orion VII NGs not displaced by the 50 new LFS buses) and people on Stadium Avenue won’t complain?

Brilliant!!!!

That goes to show how much you know about Country Club(or anywhere else outside of your own neck of the woods)....because those people out there loathe local buses....so there will hardly be any type of complaints.

15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The complaints was mainly because at the time, the Bx8 used Orion VII CNGs, which were pretty loud.

Not only that, but the buses ran too frequently as well.

6 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I don’t think M25 would work with how Manhattan bus routes are numbered. Majority of their routes are numbered based off the streets they run on like M14, M23, M34, M42, and so on. M125 makes much more sense. 

Maybe the M105, or M51, or it could just be the M45, but numbering it M25 wouldn't be too bad either.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

Boston Road is not that far from the Baychester Avenue station. Section 3 is in close proximity to Section 4 (where Bx28 service will be available, with a bump in frequency as compensation).

That's pretty much how I expect it to play out (and it's not technically wrong).

Drieser and Carver are light years away from Asch Loop. If I need to get to the (5) or even   Montefiore For that matter the 38 is a life line. Why should some one have to switch buses? Not everyone is going to the (6) or even the Eastside. Cut the 26,29 or even the 50 but at the very least Co-Op needs direct access to the Dyre Ave line.

This plan Is giving me 2010 vibes I see the MTA running low on cash so to save themselves they are pretending to give the Bronx A BETTER bus network. I can see from right now it’s going to be a nightmare especially on routes in co-op-city, on gun hill road , bx15, M125, bx36 & bx40 looks a complete mess. The reroute of the bx11 to 174st ( first off on 174st between Hoe ave & Boston road is a one way westbound so they would have to loop the bx11 around that area) The MTA needs to hire more people that live in areas of low income and know what the impact of revamping some of these routes would do cause whew child 🤦🏽‍♂️

Edited by Melbx15

1 hour ago, Melbx15 said:

This plan Is giving me 2010 vibes I see the MTA running low on cash so to save themselves they are pretending to give the Bronx A BETTER bus network. I can see from right now it’s going to be a nightmare especially on routes in co-op-city, on gun hill road , bx15, M125, bx36 & bx40 looks a complete mess. The reroute of the bx11 to 174st ( first off on 174st between Hoe ave & Boston road is a one way westbound so they would have to loop the bx11 around that area) The MTA needs to hire more people that live in areas of low income and know what the impact of revamping some of these routes would do cause whew child 🤦🏽‍♂️

They have open houses, and maybe if people would stop being cynical and negative over the things the MTA does they could figure out open houses exist for community input. 

7 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

They have open houses, and maybe if people would stop being cynical and negative over the things the MTA does they could figure out open houses exist for community input. 

And you believe the MTA is doing these redesigns all of a sudden in their goodwill for the public's benefit exactly how?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

16 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

And you believe the MTA is doing these redesigns all of a sudden in their goodwill for the public's benefit exactly how?

If people in their communties actually were more involved in transit I’m pretty sure the MTA wouldn’t be how it is today. You don’t know how many times people just say “the MTA sucks!” and yet what do these people do to try and not make it suck? They don’t go to meetings, they don’t call and complain, not to their reps or anything. But yet these open houses are therefor them. If people were loud enough we can see change.

13 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Maybe Kingsbridge or west Farms

highly doubt KB would have pull outs/pull ins to the hub or to/from 125 & 12 av... i can see west farms getting this line. too many things would have to happen for any Manhattan Division yard to acquire it. Manhattanville came to mind because of close proximity, but again, alotta s**t would have to happen to make a line like this work... with 40 footers nonetheless... in the interest of not starting a fantasy thread, it's way too early for that sort of conspiracy/theoretical speculation. i agree however that artics should be the standard for this M125.

12 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

most uptown folks don't ever call 125th street 'one hundred and twenty fifty street'... call it two-five & keep it pushing. so yes, as much as I'd like to see this, unfortunately it'd make more sense to maintain the status quo with the other x-towns

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

the unreliable M101

speaking of the kiss-me-ass 101... if/when they redesign the Manhattan network... first line that should be sent to the guillotine is this p.o.s. i swear to God

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

4 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

highly doubt KB would have pull outs/pull ins to the hub or to/from 125 & 12 av... i can see west farms getting this line. too many things would have to happen for any Manhattan Division yard to acquire it. Manhattanville came to mind because of close proximity, but again, alotta s**t would have to happen to make a line like this work... with 40 footers nonetheless... in the interest of not starting a fantasy thread, it's way too early for that sort of conspiracy/theoretical speculation. i agree however that artics should be the standard for this M125.

most uptown folks don't ever call 125th street 'one hundred and twenty fifty street'... call it two-five & keep it pushing. so yes, as much as I'd like to see this, unfortunately it'd make more sense to maintain the status quo with the other x-towns

speaking of the kiss-me-ass 101... if/when they redesign the Manhattan network... first line that should be sent to the guillotine is this p.o.s. i swear to God

I think when the Manhattan redesign comes along, a lot of the uptown and downtown routes probably will be gutted out. 

13 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

They tried that in the early 1990s (using Bedford Park instead of 204th). It lasted one week, and then politics forced it back.

During rush hours, is there really a "best" route Or is everything some degree of bad?

Could you provide more details about the change in the early 1990s?

5 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Could you provide more details about the change in the early 1990s?

The community kept complaining that the Bx34 was constantly delayed due to double-parked cars on the Bainbridge/Valentine one-way pair south of Bedford Park Blvd. MTA's answer was, "Either you allow NYPD to enforce the parking rules so the buses can get through, or we will move the bus away from here." The community refused to allow enforcement, so MTA moved the bus to Webster Avenue and ended it at Fordham Plaza.

Of course, the community got angry, politicians got involved, the cops got permission to enforce the law, and the bus went back to Bainbridge/Valentine by the following weekend.

18 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The community kept complaining that the Bx34 was constantly delayed due to double-parked cars on the Bainbridge/Valentine one-way pair south of Bedford Park Blvd. MTA's answer was, "Either you allow NYPD to enforce the parking rules so the buses can get through, or we will move the bus away from here." The community refused to allow enforcement, so MTA moved the bus to Webster Avenue and ended it at Fordham Plaza.

Of course, the community got angry, politicians got involved, the cops got permission to enforce the law, and the bus went back to Bainbridge/Valentine by the following weekend.

Do you know the exact dates so I can do more research on this?

21 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

bx15 - I'm extremely pleased with this proposal strictly from an operator's perspective. ask any former/current 126 st/100 st/MV/West Farms/KB depot operator how disgusting two-fifth traffic is... and how late they've been as a result. case in point the bx15. bronx ridership suffers immensely because of the two-fifth crawl. I'm actually amused to see that certain members' suggestion of a 'M125' may come to fruition. i feel bad for the customers. hopefully there'll be a free continuation transfer between the M125 (that'll be weird to say) and the bx15.

M100 - YES! YES! oh sweet Lord, YES 100 times over! let Kingsbridge rejoice, and sing lamentations to the heavens. I'm personally tired of carrying air across two-five on southbound M100 runs, and management is dead tired of sending 100's across two-way piling on dead miles, so to speak.

M125 - a good idea i suppose, i wonder who gets this assignment... Manhattanville, i presume?

Back when I worked on the East End JC for the city, I would use the M100 to work and the BX15 from as I knew both would be mostly empty.  Nice way not to stress coming or going to work.  But I can tell, especially on the PM rush, the Triboro will kill reliability on all the buses coming going east past Lenox.  It doesn't help that even now with the bus lane, that enforcement is minimal.  So this is pretty much the MTA's way of dealing with both issues. M100s won't have to short at 5 Ave, Bx15s won't have to end at Lexington and more room for the M60, M(1)25, and the M101

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Most people just say last number for 125th, 135th, and 145th.  So a M25 would have made more cultural sense but only to those who live in the area (espcially how all the other crosstowns equal the street number.

Speaking of which, when they do come to Manhattan, I feel like a lot of the through-Harlem N/S routes will suffer.  The M101 being split will be good.  But I can also see them taking the M3 & M4 off of 5th/Madison for expanded M1/M2.  The M7 being shorted to Times Sq or Columbus Circle seems highly likely as well since a lot of those buses already end there during the rush.