MAJOR update on the 42nd Street Shuttle Rebuild for ADA

Union Tpke

13 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Prob what you mentioned, the (6) . As for the (4) , they'll do fine, no shortage there. 

That's good. I hope the (4) will do fine with 15 fewer car especially since the (2) and (5) are assigned 410 train cars each, and the (4) is assigned 430 cars, and all three use around 360 cars each during the rush hours. I just don't want to see 15 cars be the difference between making service and being unable to make service on the (2)(4) and (5), especially during peak commute times.

Also, haven't they considered moving the (S) 42nd Street fleet from Livonia Yard to Westchester (with R62As) or Jerome (with R142As) to simplify maintenance at the IRT yards?

And will the new signal system for the shuttle be the same one that they plan to install for the Lexington Avenue CBTC Project (since the R142As are supposedly planned to be upgraded with the Lexington CBTC project in mind)?

Edited by JeremiahC99

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Also, haven't they considered moving the (S) 42nd Street fleet from Livonia Yard to Westchester (with R62As) or Jerome (with R142As) to simplify maintenance at the IRT yards?

They tried that before when the R62As had just started coming back from the (7) and it was a mess.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They had to practically go all around the world to get from Track 4 to Westchester and the reverse move from Track 1 to the uptown (6) was an adventure too.

So I’m guessing that shifting the yard to Jerome or Westcbester Yard will always be unfeasible to a point where the line would be better off staying in Livonia?

20 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So I’m guessing that shifting the yard to Jerome or Westchester Yard will always be unfeasible to a point where the line would be better off staying in Livonia?

Pretty much. Easier way too at Livonia Yard. 

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

Pretty much. Easier way too at Livonia Yard. 

Well that’s logical, though I was thinking about it to simply the maintenance issues. What’s going to happen when R142As start being on the line? Will it stay at Livonia Yard or will the shuttle be based out of the next possible option: possibly East 180th Street and 239th Street Yards (both have a connection to both the IRT Broadway-Seventh Avenue and the IRT Lexington Avenue Line). Again, I am thinking about this as a way to simplify maintenance and parts inventory.

1 minute ago, RedLine said:

Cuomo's interference might get rid of the transfer to Bryant Park from Times Square.

Don’t tell me it has to do with the new reorganization plan they approved. 

28 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Well that’s logical, though I was thinking about it to simply the maintenance issues. What’s going to happen when R142As start being on the line? Will it stay at Livonia Yard or will the shuttle be based out of the next possible option: possibly East 180th Street and 239th Street Yards (both have a connection to both the IRT Broadway-Seventh Avenue and the IRT Lexington Avenue Line). Again, I am thinking about this as a way to simplify maintenance and parts inventory.

It maybe at Livonia, again or at 239 St/E.180 St in the future

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

It maybe at Livonia, again or at 239 St/E.180 St in the future

With the R142As (and eventual factory fresh R262s), might was well throw them at East 180th Street/239th Street Yards. Makes it much simpler from a maintenance and parts perspective. 

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

With the R142As (and eventual factory fresh R262s), might was well throw them at East 180th Street/239th Street Yards. Makes it much simpler from a maintenance and parts perspective. 

Is the connection to 6th Av within or outside fare control?

My thoughts on the project:

I know its for the greater good but it really is sad to see so many of the historic features on the platform being removed. I will also heavily miss the R62As with the ads after it eventually reverts to using R142As...

The spot where you can see the (1)(2)(3) is breathtaking and a good place for shots same with the curve the shuttle makes to enter Times Square...

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I was at the station yesterday. They already have construction lights strewn up where the new platform will be and some construction equipment and blue wall already up on the track 1 side.

If it is possible, could you share some pictures, if you took any? Thanks.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/08/07/times-square-shuttle-to-get-upgrade-after-century-of-service

Now, it's "MIGHT add the passageway". The passageway is already built (and the 6th Ave. end visible), just not opened. I see the stuff posted above is talking about the technical difficulties of the underpass to be used to get to it. Especially involving a sewer they have to go under.
So they're considering dropping it now?

I would say they should consider using the existing (and long closed) underpass that runs between the Bway express tracks, to the far side platform, and then extend the passageway to there. (which is where I thought the passageway was going to come out anyway).

17 minutes ago, Eric B said:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/08/07/times-square-shuttle-to-get-upgrade-after-century-of-service

Now, it's "MIGHT add the passageway". The passageway is already built (and the 6th Ave. end visible), just not opened. I see the stuff posted above is talking about the technical difficulties of the underpass to be used to get to it. Especially involving a sewer they have to go under.

I would say they should consider using the existing (and long closed) underpass that runs between the Bway express tracks, to the far side platform, and then extend the passageway to there. (which is where I thought the passageway was going to come out anyway).

That’s bad news. I really hope it gets built. That passageway was the only thing I was looking forward to in the project. It’s so close, they should connect it.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:14 AM, Eric B said:

It would be idiotic for them not to add it. Reopening that underpass is something I hadn't considered...