Nov 2019 Service Changes: (5) shuttle to begin earlier, (3) and (5) service to end earlier in Manhattan & Brooklyn

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190624_1030_Transit.pdf

Page 194-197

From the document:

Purpose

To obtain Presidential approval, and to inform the NYC Transit and MTA Bus Committee, of schedule adjustments on the (3)(4) and (5) routes. Adjustments are warranted on the (3) , (4) and (5) to accommodate planned maintenance and construction work on the right-of-way. Discussion NYC Transit is proposing to make changes to some evening and late-night schedules on the (3)(4) and (5) subway lines in November 2019 to accommodate the rigorous maintenance, repair and construction projects associated with the Subway Action Plan and other efforts to improve service, while also operating the best service possible for our customers as this essential work is underway. Over the past two years, NYC Transit has been working intensively to improve the reliability of the service we provide to our customers. This work includes clearing tens of thousands of grates and drains, sealing thousands of leaks, repairing or replacing miles of track, removing tons of debris, and rebuilding thousands of signal components. Our most recent statistics show continued dramatic improvement in subway performance, with the highest on-time performance numbers in more than half a decade. This demonstrates that the State and City’s substantial investment in infrastructure and maintenance improvements under the Subway Action Plan are yielding remarkably positive results, and illustrates the rewards of the planned service changes. Subway ontime performance for April reached its highest level since October 2013—nearly 80 percent. In addition, major incidents decreased 32 percent from last April, matching the fewest since measurement began in 2015. Furthermore, weekday delays decreased 35 percent from last April, reaching the lowest level since December 2013. One of the contributing factors to the reduction in subway delays has been the significant progress made in reducing track debris fires. Year-to-date track fires have dropped by 52 percent compared to 2018.

As much of our repair, upgrade, and intensified maintenance activities are performed during evening and latenight hours, we are seeking to maximize the productivity of our workforce during those times. This necessitates adjustments in our operations to accommodate the unprecedented level of work that is underway. The schedule changes would reduce the span of weekday evening service on the (3) and (5) subway lines by under one hour and extend the span of service to New Lots Av on the (4) by under one hour to facilitate track replacement, signal and power cable upgrades, and drain cleaning that requires transitioning to the overnight service pattern earlier than previously scheduled. These changes – already implemented regularly via temporary schedules most weeknights – will help customers plan ahead with a stable and reliable schedule. Incorporating these schedule revisions in our base timetables will result in more efficient and less costly service, while providing more consistent evening and late night service for our customers. Basic information about these schedule adjustments are below: 

• Five (3) line roundtrips, operating on weekdays from approximaely 10:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m between Harlem-148 St and New Lots Ave, will change to operations between Harlem-148 St and Times Square. Service to and from New Lots Ave during these times will be delivered by the (4) line.
  • Four (4) line roundtrips, operating on weekdays from approximately 10:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. between Woodlawn and Crown Heights-Utica Ave, will extend to operations between Woodlawn and New Lots Ave.
  • Five (5) line roundtrips, operating weekdays from approximately 10:00 p.m.to 11:00 p.m. between Easchester-Dyre Ave and Bowling Green, will be replaced by four roundtrips between Eastchester-Dyre Ave and E 180 St. Customers traveling between Manhattan and E 180 St may take the (2) line and connecting services.

Service Plan

NYCT routinely evaluates the impact of capital construction and ongoing maintenance work on train operations and adjusts schedules to accommodate this necessary work. Frequent maintenance and construction work on A Division lines (numbered routes) often require curtailment via supplement schedules of normal weekday evening service, transitioning to the overnight service pattern earlier than in the base timetables. Under these situations, the (3) , which normally operates between Harlem-148 St and New Lots Avenue evenings, begins its overnight service pattern less than one hour earlier, operating between Harlem-148 St and Times Square only. The (4) , which normally operates evenings between Woodlawn and Crown Heights-Utica Avenue, is extended out to New Lots Avenue to replace the  (3) in Brooklyn. The (5) , which normally operates evenings between Eastchester-Dyre Avenue and Bowling Green, becomes a shuttle between Eastchester-Dyre Avenue and East 180 St in the Bronx less than one hour earlier.  

Recommendation

Implement schedule adjustments on (3) , (4) and (5) routes to accommodate maintenance and capital projects.

Alternatives

NYCT would not make routine schedule adjustments to accommodate maintenance and capital projects on (3) , (4) and (5)

Budget Impact

Implementation of the proposed (3) , (4) and (5) schedule changes would save approximately $0.9 million annually in the operating budget and reduce the need for overtime.

Implementation Date

(3) , (4) and (5) schedule changes would be implemented in November 2019.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• BM5 via Woodhaven changed the title to Nov 2019 Service Changes: (5) shuttle to begin earlier, (3) and (5) service to end earlier in Manhattan & Brooklyn

I wonder if they'll end the (5) from Flatbush 1/2 hr early they wanted work done? or run 10 min headways after the Flatbush Av trip. Seems that the (5) mostly gets service changes a lot. 

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, Caelestor said:

Honestly I'm fine with service cuts after the evenings if it will save money in overtime costs and the savings could be redirected to capacity increases at other times.

They won't use it for that. This once again proves that this is MOW's railroad.

Edited by Union Tpke

Sigh. I feel like the (2) and (4) will be more crowded without the (3) and (5) to help them out. I rather have all part-time lines run all the way from 6 a.m. to midnight instead of this constant GOs getting in the way. But I guess there's just no way around that.

I just can't get over how normalized sacrificing service for track access has become. Why isn't anyone crying out about productivity or flagging or GO format? Again, literally nowhere else in the world has such a maintenance problem as us -- the question here should be "how do we streamline maintenance practices to achieve more with less?" not "how much time can we spend doing maintenance before we have no ridership?" 

I plan on speaking out against this at the NYCT meeting on Monday. I hope my other fellow members consider attending meetings at speaking out. It is June, and may of the members of the forum are high-school/college aged and don't have school right now-take advantage of the opportunity. We talk about stuff all day on the forums, but that isn't causing change. Speak out. Let your voice be heard.

34 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I plan on speaking out against this at the NYCT meeting on Monday. I hope my other fellow members consider attending meetings at speaking out. It is June, and may of the members of the forum are high-school/college aged and don't have school right now-take advantage of the opportunity. We talk about stuff all day on the forums, but that isn't causing change. Speak out. Let your voice be heard.

Second. We have some really good, active advocates on here -- like @Union Tpke and @Via Garibaldi 8 -- and it's time we followed their lead. The people on this forum generally hold more informed an nuanced positions on transit than do New Yorkers in general; if we want to see progress, it's our prerogative to spread said views. 

Edited by RR503

15 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t see these changes being too problematic as long as the MTA decides to add service to the (2) and (4) which I honestly doubt.

Why would they add service to the (2) & (4) when the whole purpose of eliminating part-time (3) & (5) service in Manhattan and Brooklyn by one hour is to accommodate flagging by track/signal workers? 

By generally running more frequent service would create train congestion caused by flagging with workers already working on the tracks and signals.

22 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

22 hours ago, RR503 said:

Second. We have some really good, active advocates on here -- like @Union Tpke and @Via Garibaldi 8 -- and it's time we followed their lead. The people on this forum generally hold more informed an nuanced positions on transit than do New Yorkers in general; if we want to see progress, it's our prerogative to spread said views. 

Agreed!!

On 6/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, RR503 said:

I just can't get over how normalized sacrificing service for track access has become. Why isn't anyone crying out about productivity or flagging or GO format? Again, literally nowhere else in the world has such a maintenance problem as us -- the question here should be "how do we streamline maintenance practices to achieve more with less?" not "how much time can we spend doing maintenance before we have no ridership?" 

No one else has 24/7 service like New York City does.

In London, there are a few Tube lines that do run at night on Friday and Saturday.

1 hour ago, Q Broadway Express said:

No one else has 24/7 service like New York City does.

In London, there are a few Tube lines that do run at night on Friday and Saturday.

The 24/7 service excuse is an exceptionalist red herring. It isn’t like other subways are working on every inch of their track overnight, and they really only have a few productive hours to boot. In NYC, we shut not insignificant portions of the system for 55 hours at a time on weekends and put together long/extensive overnight shutdowns and still struggle to get the work done — NYCT has a higher ratio of maintenance employee hours to vehicle revenue hours than most American transit agencies, which is hardly a high bar...

Edited by RR503

On 6/22/2019 at 9:56 PM, Jemorie said:

Sigh. I feel like the (2) and (4) will be more crowded without the (3) and (5) to help them out. I rather have all part-time lines run all the way from 6 a.m. to midnight instead of this constant GOs getting in the way. But I guess there's just no way around that.

Why not have the (3) before Midnight run to Chambers or 14th?

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Why not have the (3) before Midnight run to Chambers or 14th?

And at the same time forcing the (2) to make local stops in Manhattan while also dealing with delays due to the (3) turning at Chambers? Certainly not.

The (3), (5), (B), (C), (M), (R), and (W) need to operate their entire routes all the way from 6 a.m. to midnight while at the same time their full-time counterparts run express.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

And at the same time forcing the (2) to make local stops in Manhattan while also dealing with delays due to the (3) turning at Chambers? Certainly not.

The (3), (5), (B), (C), (M), (R), and (W) need to operate their entire routes all the way from 6 a.m. to midnight while at the same time their full-time counterparts run express.

The (5) gives that up rather early into the evening, though...

46 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

It'd also be great to see the (B) run past 9 pm at least one once this year...

That's a false equivalency. One has been scheduled as such for years, whereas the other is incidental.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

That's a false equivalency. One has been scheduled as such for years, whereas the other is incidental.

What do you mean by this? Both (5) and (B) trains are scheduled to run later than they do most evenings, the cuts being by fiat of supplement...

Edited by RR503

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503 Something just occurred to me. Now, when (3) service ends at Times Square, (2) service runs local. With (3) service ending at Times Square an hour earlier, wouldn't that bottle up (2) service, screwing things up more?

It very well may, but there’s also a good chance they’ll rewrite the schedule to have (2)s begin local service earlier. 

Really speaking, they should just double end the (3)s and not schedule some endless layover so you can get away sans fumigation, but the chances of that...