Curious

Smoot178

O.O

To add to my previous post, is there a minimum age to apply for T/O?

Do you need past MTA experience?

Would it help to do a non safety concious job for them (aka cleaner) first? If so, what would the job choices be?

Would it help to know someone (aka a T/O) that works for the MTA?

1. Technically if you start working at 18 and full time, you would be eligible at 23 years of age to apply.

2. No

3. Sure, then you would have to take a promotional exam.

4. No

Alright so I have been doing some research on becoming a T/O and I have decided that it may be the career path I want to follow. But I honestly don't know where to start.

At the moment I am in my Junior year of High School. I plan to finish it off and get into the T/O career. What should I be doing to prepare? I know that the entry exams only come every once in a few years, so I want to be ready for it. I basically want to max out my chances of getting into the career as soon and as quickly as possible.

What should I be doing to prepare?

Finish HS. Get your diploma. Make sure you're good at reading the English language and can do some basic math. Familiarize yourself with NY Geography, landmarks, neighborhoods, etc.

Meanwhile get a job doing whatever for 5 years, it can be any job just DO WELL AT IT so that you have a good work record when you apply. IIRC a year of college (30 credits) will substitute for one year of work experience so if you plan on going to college and you gradulate with 120 credits, you will need ONE year additional work experience

O.O

To add to my previous post, is there a minimum age to apply for T/O?

Do you need past MTA experience?

Would it help to do a non safety concious job for them (aka cleaner) first? If so, what would the job choices be?

Would it help to know someone (aka a T/O) that works for the MTA?

There is no minimum age but you need a HS diploma plus 5 years work experience so that puts the "bare minimum" around 21 and that assumes you work full time while going through the last 2 years of HS, so probably 22-23 depending on if you get enough work experience in

You do not need past MTA experience

There are a couple other jobs you could consider for promotional to T/O such as Conductor, Station Agent, Property Protection Agent, and cleaner, but it won't help if you're looking for a quick fix, you'll still have to take a promotional test to get there and you can't get promoted till you've had a certain # of years in title (1-2 I forget which). However if you do well on the PROMOTIONAL test (different from the one offered to the public) the amount of time you've been with MTA will help you on your score up to 15% more.

Also you should know a lot of people out there feel T/O's who've been C/R's before make better T/O's, jury's out on that though in some cases it's definitely true, but you'll have a lot to learn in either position...these forums are cool because some of the posters here are almost like a head start on how things work down there and they've got some good war stories. However the one thing everyone says and it makes sense is to be all ears when you start and I think thats true of any position in life not just transit

That reminds me. Since I already applied for the C/R exam and I plan to apply for the T/O exam as well. What happens if I get called for the C/R spot first and then my name comes up on the list for the T/O? Can I switch over? or would I have to reject the C/R spot and pray to get called for the T/O?

There are a couple other jobs you could consider for promotional to T/O such as Conductor, Station Agent, Property Protection Agent, and cleaner, but it won't help if you're looking for a quick fix, you'll still have to take a promotional test to get there and you can't get promoted till you've had a certain # of years in title (1-2 I forget which). However if you do well on the PROMOTIONAL test (different from the one offered to the public) the amount of time you've been with MTA will help you on your score up to 15% more.

As to "being all ears", I am not completely educated on the differences of some of these positions.

Like what is different between a T/O and a conductor? T/O is train operator, correct?

As to "being all ears", I am not completely educated on the differences of some of these positions.

Like what is different between a T/O and a conductor? T/O is train operator, correct?

T/O = Train Operator. C/R = Conductor. The T/O operates the trains. The C/R handles the management of the train and customer interaction.

In a nut shell...

T/O = Train operator - operates the train. Is also trained to troubleshoot some problems en route.

C/R = Conductor - controls the doors, makes/programs the announcements. Responsible for safety of the train, ensuring T/O stops at the right place before opening the doors. C/R's also sometimes do platform duty (standing on the platform at crowded stations making sure people get on and off the train, then signalling the C/R on the train with a flash light to let him know its OK to close the doors), and flagging for track workers.

S/A = station agent - the agent stationed in the booth who helps with directions/sellling Metrocards with cash to people who dont want to use the machine, giving directions, making station announcements

PP/A = property protection agent - basically an MTA security guard

and cleaners clean stations/trains

Hmm than I think I'd rather be a T/O. Any different requirements there? I had thought the conductor actually had control over the train and the train operator controlled the doors, announcements, etc.

Nope. It's the other way around.

The Conductor is IN Charge of the train and Open / Closes the doors and makes announcements. They trouble shoot door troubles. Also they work the Platfrom in asssisting customers about directions and any service changes also make sure customer entrain an detrain safely. The also do Hand Switching in old BMT Yards.

Train Operator operates the train in normal customer service and between Terminals and Yards. The trouble shoot problems that may stall the train Brakes in emergancy or other problems. They move trains in the Yard throu car wash and inspection barn and prepare the trains for service.

They also operate the doors and in charge of announcements on OPTO trains.

Ok, ok chill, I'm not a rookie and know what it's duties are...:mad:

dude, I was just telling you that you misread my comment and assumed I was agreeing with Smoot178's comment.

Hmm than I think I'd rather be a T/O. Any different requirements there? I had thought the conductor actually had control over the train and the train operator controlled the doors, announcements, etc.

My comment of

Nope. It's the other way around.

I was simply stating that he had the duties mixed up.

Walking the train and pulling all the BCO's while the train is on a downgrade?

NEVER DO THAT...

bco? or em break

@your joke, people sometimes dont feel it as jk mate, i dont feel stuff as jks, lets not creat those jks or wat ever

So you absolutely need 5 years in ONE job? Or could it be cumulative? Like what if I am in a job for 4 1/2 years but I get laid off due to pay cuts or some reason out of my control. What happens then?

Doesn't have to be 5 years in one job but it does have to be 5 years Full-time job experience. If you have 4 1/2 years, well then you are going to have to get another 1/2 year experience elsewhere.

Archived