June 30, 2019 Bus Route & Service Changes

3 hours ago, limitednyc said:

thank ,  I've seen info on the q 111 and the q 114 that the overnight service has bee increased fro 60 min- 30 min on each.

The schedules still say that they run every hour overnight.

8 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

S86 LIMITED: Trip Reductions and Span Decrease

• The 6:00 PM and 6:30 PM trips (last bus) from St. George have been consolidated into a 6:15 PM trip.

The 6:00 PM S86 trip was basically converted into an S76 trip which seems stupid because the 6:03 PM S76 Short turn still exists. The 6:03 PM trip is probably going to be carrying air most days now.

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The 6:00 PM S86 trip was basically converted into an S76 trip which seems stupid because the 6:03 PM S76 Short turn still exists. The 6:03 PM trip is probably going to be carrying air most days now.

Whether or not that short-turn carries air depends on the prior trip's ability to accommodate.

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I agree. However the dispatcher might have the 6:03pm trip load up and leave first and then have the 6pm trip load up with those who couldn't fit onto the 6pm trip, plus those traveling south of the SIE (or he might just make it a limited anyway).

As for the Q111/114 the new schedule is on Trip Planner and on the GTFS feed. The interesting thing is that it says Q114-LTD for the entire schedule, which implies that it runs overnight as a limited.

39 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Until it isn't. If the swamp floods often enough, then the network redesign might make the detour permanent.

Do you have any evidence to support that theory even though the redesign is not even nearly done or you wanna look at the Q114 again?

Until further notice: Q114 is detoured
via Rockaway Blvd
and Guy R Brewer Blvd
in both directions.

46 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It's interesting that the Q35 has more service along Flatbush Av even though it's just going to Brooklyn College on a hot summer weekend

Well it’s also going to jacob riis park on a hot summer weekend...

On 7/11/2019 at 8:21 PM, Union Tpke said:

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

It's interesting that the Q35 has more service along Flatbush Av even though it's just going to Brooklyn College on a hot summer weekend

2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Well it’s also going to jacob riis park on a hot summer weekend...

Q35:

While there's more service to/from Riis Park, it's coming at the expense of significantly less service to Rockaway Park. Service from Riis Park to Rockaway Park now runs every 30 minutes instead of every 15 minutes during the midday. The PM and evening service is no longer on a consistent interval. Saturday service runs every 15-16 minutes during the day (roughly every 20-24 minutes in the evening) between Rockaway Park and Riis Park, compared to every 10 minutes before, with a few exceptions. Sunday service is roughly every 20 minutes between the two points (instead of every 10 minutes). With that said, most of the ridership during the summer comes from Brooklyn, and the headways are roughly every 5 minutes throughout the day.

Q7, Q8, Q41, Q47:

I've covered the Q7 changes in the OP. The others have only minor runtime changes or internal schedule design changes (zero change to bus service).

Q22:

The more substantial change is that weekend service operates every 16 minutes west of Rockaway Park (instead of every 24 minute). Also, service runs to Riis Park for the summer.

Q53:

The Q53 summer schedule has basically been uploaded (8-10 minute headways throughout the day during middays, evenings, and weekends).

Q66:

There's a change to the overnight schedule. EB service departs Queens Plaza 5 minutes later (now departing at :25 and :55).

Q111, Q114:

Overnight service has been boosted to operate every 30 minutes instead of every 60 minutes. Combined local service on Guy R. Brewer Boulevard during the overnight hours operates every 15 minutes. I personally feel like the boost in Q114 service in particular will catch on, especially since the (A) just sucks.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

20 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Until it isn't. If the swamp floods often enough, then the network redesign might make the detour permanent.

I'm thinking that they are having it be "until further notice" to avoid the need for a public hearing. Unless DDC physically rebuilds the roadway it will continue to flood, so I don't see the flooding issue being resolved any time soon.

13 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I'm thinking that they are having it be "until further notice" to avoid the need for a public hearing. Unless DDC physically rebuilds the roadway it will continue to flood, so I don't see the flooding issue being resolved any time soon.

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

...or have it included in the network redesign hearing.

Both observations are basically right.

Oddly, SMART does such route changes and never does public hearings, while DDOT may tweak routes but still holds public hearings because they're also including other headway changes. The DDOT hearings I've been to have always had limited push-back from residents to any changes they want to make -- in fact, most of the time people are elated.

So right now, they're probably fielding any complaints, and (if they're smart) watching the customer counts at each stop, so that if there's any negative reactions/numbers they can revert back.

7 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

That's a safety-related detour to avoid the U-turn at 145th Road.

I figured as much.  Since the reconstruction on Springfield Blvd, I've seen a few buses that couldn't make that U turn down there at 145th Road. There were few changes in the area traffic wise once the reconstruction was done.....