New Full-Time LIRR Station Planned Near Belmont Park

N6 Limited

As we've discussed and suggested previously about Belmont Park's service, they are now planning an Elmont station on the mainline between Bellrose Station and the Cross Island Parkway for regular service, and to allow service to and from the east.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/belmont-lirr-islanders-1.33590940

https://www.railway-technology.com/news/new-york-lirr-station-elmont/

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/07/08/new-long-island-rail-road-station-elmont/

ELMONT, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo says a new train station will help commuters and boost business near Belmont Park.

The planned Long Island Rail Road station in Elmont will be the first year-round station at Belmont Park in 50 years.

It’s part of the Belmont Park Redevelopment Project, which includes a new arena, hotel and retail village. Officials say it will generate millions of dollars.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced plans for a new LIRR station in Elmont on July 8, 2019. (Rendering Credit: Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s Office)

“The Belmont project will help drive the region’s economy forward while building the Islanders a state-of-the-art facility at home on Long Island, creating thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars in economic output along the way,” Cuomo said in a release. “Now with the addition of the first full-time LIRR train station in almost 50 years, we will provide millions of visitors and fans a fast and affordable way to get there and continue New York’s nation-leading investments in 21st century transportation infrastructure.”

The new station will be located between the Queens Village and Bellerose stations on the LIRR’s Main Line, and it will provide direct service to Belmont Park from both the east and west.

Officials say the new station will not stop plans for upgrades to the existing LIRR Belmont spur.

The new station and the upgrades are expected to cost about $105 million. According to a release, the arena developers will pay for $97 million and the state will invest $8 million.

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. If it doesn't hurt anyone and it creates jobs, then I'm for it. If the parking is unrestricted on weekends, I might even park there and take the train as opposed to driving east. If it becomes another boondoggle, then I'd rather the MTA and Cuomo spend the money on general maintenance of the existing stations.

Heard about this on the radio earlier this week.... Have no problems with it whatsoever... I would even look into getting rid of LIRR Bellerose itself.

On the same side of the coin, LIRR Belmont is a PITA, operationally & communally (in terns of usability)... They can do away with that station too, for all I care.

Edited by B35 via Church

Floral Park is not too happy about this:

http://longisland.news12.com/story/40767641/floral-park-mayor-residents-voice-displeasure-about-new-arena-li

FLORAL PARK - Elmont is set to get Long Island's first new full-time Long Island Rail Road station in nearly 50 years, but some residents in a neighboring community aren't on board.

Many Floral Park residents say the latest plan to build a state-of-the-art arena for the New York Islanders in nearby Elmont, along with a new LIRR station just west of the village, is a game-changer. Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the project's backers say it will bring thousands of jobs to the area, and nearly $50 million in revenue.

Village Mayor Dominic Longobardi says the plan will fundamentally change the area.

"We get no benefits from this at all, there is no payment to us, there are no taxes to us, there is no income to us, security alone is estimated to what could be $2.3 million in additional expense to us, for police to just make sure we have the quality of life we have now," says Longobardi.

Maintaining that quality of life is a major concern for many Floral Park residents like civic leader Matthew Sexton.

"We are an area where you are allowed to have your kids play on the street, you can walk the streets safely and I don't know if we can maintain that quality of life with this project moving forward," says Sexton.

One longtime resident says she's proud of living in a small town and thinks outsiders will ruin it. Others say while they're not thrilled, they will come to accept it eventually.

"I guess you have to stay with the town and the times, and if you want to make a buck you've got to do what the people want, and that's what they want," says Mike Evard, of Floral Park. "That's what will sell. That's what will bring jobs, and that's a good thing."

Longobardi says the village will continue to study the project and consider its options. Meanwhile, civic leaders say some residents are considering filing a lawsuit to stop the project.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

What else is new.... This is the same community that shot down a city bus route running through "their" streets.... Why would they approve of something far more macro, such as propping up a new RR station (in light of the new arena that's to be built out there) to actually revitalize that dead ass town....

Proud of living in a small town, yet still want proximity to "the city" - without having city folks being anywhere near 'em, that quantifies as & would result in ruination.... This is the type of shit you get from some of these suburbanites..... What's funny about this particular situation is that a good majority (I'd go as far as to say most) of people that would utilize that station & head to that soon to be built arena, are LAWN GUYLANDERS themselves....

Opting to file a lawsuit over this..... Swear we can't f***in have nothing......

Edited by B35 via Church

20 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

As we've discussed and suggested previously about Belmont Park's service, they are now planning an Elmont station on the mainline between Bellrose Station and the Cross Island Parkway for regular service, and to allow service to and from the east.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/belmont-lirr-islanders-1.33590940

https://www.railway-technology.com/news/new-york-lirr-station-elmont/

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/07/08/new-long-island-rail-road-station-elmont/

As someone who used to live in Queens Village-Bellerose and near by Elmont near the racetrack is great that a LIRR station is coming.. This project is so much needed for Nassau-Queens line. 

However for Floral Park. I got a few words. f**k YOU and your misguided views simply b/c your community doesn’t benefit from this. Floral Park didn’t want a return of the Q79. Ya’ll barely use the Q36. What else is next. Don’t knock away from what Elmont is doing. This benefits everyone. 

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

One longtime resident says she's proud of living in a small town

proud of living in a small town

living in a small town

a small town

I didn't know 15k population was considered a small town.  Are upstate places like Smyrna (207) and Greigsville (209) even populated by her standards?

The development will be on the West Side of Belmont Park, With access via Hempstead Turnpike, Cross Island Parkway and the New LIRR Station, it shouldn't affect Floral Park much.

There may be additional traffic on Plainfield Ave and Jericho Turnpike I suppose.