American Dream Meadowlands to open Oct 24

mfs NJT459

On 9/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, 46Dover said:

772 operating daily?  Odd to see a local Community Route on a Sunday schedule 

I've always said that NJ Transit should've expand bus route 705 to Sunday service It is because of the amount of Willowbrook Mall shoppers and some workers that come from Clifton and majority of them from Passaic. 

3 hours ago, nightmare402 said:

The LED signs on the 85 to american dream blank out but everything else still work

The same with route 703 in the direction going to the Mall. Drivers have to put a 703 sign on the windshield. 

Anyhow, this is going to be very interesting. I would hope that NJDOT, NJ Transit, Turnpike Authority, the municipalities that are close by the highway network are prepared for what's to come during the holiday shopping season. That was very strategic on the Mall developers part to open before holiday season. I expect heavy police presence and mad mall security

On 9/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, nightmare402 said:

2 to secaucus junction

I know where the 2 goes. Think a little further, it'll be quicker to get the 85 to the mall then the 2 and then transfer for those in Jersey City, people are going to stand at those 5/6 bus stops within jersey city line along the 85 to get there. 

Edited by dkm07302

• 3 weeks later...

Preliminary GTFS data regarding the service, including the 355/356 is released

American Dream stop: http://transitfeeds.com/p/nj-transit/409/latest/stop/43881/20191025

355: http://transitfeeds.com/p/nj-transit/409/latest/route/95

356: http://transitfeeds.com/p/nj-transit/409/latest/route/96

Edited by mfs NJT459

On 9/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, N6 Limited said:

I wonder what the price for the 355 is going to be.

NJ Transit’s new 355 express bus to American Dream retail and entertainment complex will cost adults a $9 fare in each direction or $18 round trip, said Jim Smith, a spokesman. Football fans who ride the 351 Coach USA bus between New York and MetLife Stadium pay a $14 round trip fare for the same 20-minute trip.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/10/the-only-mass-transit-to-the-american-dream-mall-is-the-bus-and-its-going-to-be-pricey.html

The 356 bus which will run between Secaucus Junction train station and American Dream will cost $2.55, one way, which is a two-zone adult fare, Smith said. Both the 355 and 356 routes are still scheduled to start running on Oct. 25, he said. That concedes with opening day for American Dream.

Well at least the 356 will be a whole lot cheaper which is fine for someone like me if I ever go there.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/10/the-only-mass-transit-to-the-american-dream-mall-is-the-bus-and-its-going-to-be-pricey.html

6 hours ago, jass said:

NJ Transit’s new 355 express bus to American Dream retail and entertainment complex will cost adults a $9 fare in each direction or $18 round trip, said Jim Smith, a spokesman. Football fans who ride the 351 Coach USA bus between New York and MetLife Stadium pay a $14 round trip fare for the same 20-minute trip.

makes sense since busses to/from NY is higher than local fares

$9.00 is too high. Not even a ride out to Willowbrook costs that much. I would have thought a $6 fare or something would be more reasonable. Unless they are trying to attract mainly tourists from New York, I'm not sure how this route will do, even with its half hourly frequencies. 

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

$9.00 is too high. Not even a ride out to Willowbrook costs that much. I would have thought a $6 fare or something would be more reasonable. Unless they are trying to attract mainly tourists from New York, I'm not sure how this route will do, even with its half hourly frequencies. 

GS plaza is $4.50

Williowbrook is $8

Jersey Garden is $7

American Dream is $9 

That is insanely expensive especially considering the train-->356 is actually cheaper than the 355

12 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

GS plaza is $4.50

Williowbrook is $8

Jersey Garden is $7

American Dream is $9 

That is insanely expensive especially considering the train-->356 is actually cheaper than the 355

I think 7 bucks to JG is a f***in ripoff.... NJT can kiss my whole ass with some 9 dollars to a glorified swamp....

Reading them comments in that nj.com page, man... I'm not paying one red cent to park at nobody's mall either....

(Having) the money aint the problem, this is 100% about principle...... I actually wanted to check this place out, but to hell with it now....

13 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

GS plaza is $4.50

Williowbrook is $8

Jersey Garden is $7

American Dream is $9 

Why should I pay that when I pay 2.75 to take the n35, n16 to Roosevelt Field or the n54/55 to Sunrise Mall? 

That's highway robbery. No wonder people are taking those jitneys out of GWB 

On 10/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, Silver Script said:

Well at least the 356 will be a whole lot cheaper which is fine for someone like me if I ever go there.

What bout the train?

On 10/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, nightmare402 said:

makes sense since busses to/from NY is higher than local fares

17 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

GS plaza is $4.50

Williowbrook is $8

Jersey Garden is $7

American Dream is $9 

Hmm, maybe they're trying to protect ridership to the older malls?

7 hours ago, jass said:

Except as pointed out, the exact same route charges $7 on stadium game days.

I guess it costs more to have all day service as opposed to intermittent days here and there?

4 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Why should I pay that when I pay 2.75 to take the n35, n16 to Roosevelt Field or the n54/55 to Sunrise Mall? 

That's highway robbery. No wonder people are taking those jitneys out of GWB 

Amusement Park, Water Park, Indoor Skiing, Ice Skating Rink, etc

1 hour ago, Silver Script said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the 356 gets more ridership since it's only $2.55 one way or $5.10 round trip.

Should be an interesting first day to see which of the two lines gets more riders.

I just looked up the fare to Secaucus Junction.

$4.25     

So that's $4.25 + 2.55 = $6.80 or $13.60 Round Trip. A savings of $2.20 each way ($4.40 total)., But there's the convenience of not having to wait up to 30 mins for a transfer to the bus. (I think they want to reduce barriers to the mall by those unfamiliar with NJ)

The train ride is about 10 mins, not sure how long the bus ride will be. (Looks like it could be another 10 mins)

NYPenn to Secaucus Junction:

Fares for this trip
Adult One Way                 $4.25
Child/Senior/Disabled One Way         $1.90
Weekly                     $38.50
Ten Trip                 $42.50
Monthly                     $126.00         
Student Monthly                 $95.00

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

What bout the train?

Hmm, maybe they're trying to protect ridership to the older malls?

I guess it costs more to have all day service as opposed to intermittent days here and there?

Amusement Park, Water Park, Indoor Skiing, Ice Skating Rink, etc

I just looked up the fare to Secaucus Junction.

$4.25     

So that's $4.25 + 2.55 = $6.80 or $13.60 Round Trip. A savings of $2.20 each way ($4.40 total)., But there's the convenience of not having to wait up to 30 mins for a transfer to the bus. (I think they want to reduce barriers to the mall by those unfamiliar with NJ)

The train ride is about 10 mins, not sure how long the bus ride will be. (Looks like it could be another 10 mins)

NYPenn to Secaucus Junction:

For me it would be 

Catch the 1 to Penn Station which would be $1.60 or $3.20 round trip

Then the 78 when it's running to Secaucus Junction which is $3.15 or $6.30 round trip

And from there the 356.

So overall I would be spending at least $14.60 in bus fare between the three lines.

1 minute ago, nightmare402 said:

u can always take path from WTC/33rd to hoboken for the 85 to AD or journal sq for the 2 to secaucus for train or bus

I've been telling people in jersey city that it'll be quicker to get the 85. the 2 bus is good but that a long ride.

3 minutes ago, nightmare402 said:

there is also the 125 and 88/C to union city for the 160

Didn't even realize that. I think the ideas are good as far as bus travel, but it can be better. I mean, if there an increase of people trying to get to the mall, will NJT increase service?

Another option has emerged, but its really stupid.

For New Yorkers, the $16 one-way fare includes shuttle bus transportation in Manhattan to NY Waterway’s West 39th Street ferry terminal, a ferry ride and bus transportation from the Port Imperial ferry terminal to American Dream.

For New Jersey shoppers, they can take an NY Waterway shuttle bus from Port Imperial to and from American Dream for a $7 one-way fare.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/10/ferry-from-nyc-another-nj-bus-just-added-to-american-dream-transit-options.html

Edited by jass