Unplanned Service Change

Harry

That is really crazy but I guess some local buses would have to bypass stops to jump ahead and only stop to drop passengers off that is already on the bus and don't pick up and bring the buses to their terminals. Then reverse normal route opposite direction some buses still would to bypass stops to catch up with their schedule.

Some Express buses also could bypass stops to jump ahead.

9 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

That is really crazy but I guess some local buses would have to bypass stops to jump ahead and only stop to drop passengers off that is already on the bus and don't pick up and bring the buses to their terminals. Then reverse normal route opposite direction some buses still would to bypass stops to catch up with their schedule.

Some Express buses also could bypass stops to jump ahead.

But what if the next bus wasn't until a while? Or if it was the last bus of the day? People would be pissed.

Edited by Lil 57

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

But what id the next bus wasn't until a while? Or if it was the last bus of the day? People would be pissed.

Right but to clear out traffic by moving the buses out of the way. The last group of buses would start making all normal stops.

Edited by bwwnyc123

This is a case where the police commissioner should have ordered the buses to go through anyway (even if it meant plowing into the crowd), and made the protesters scatter or be run over. Since they have no permit to block a public highway, they have forfeited their First Amendment rights. That's how I'd handle it...and deal with fallout afterward. If you tolerate this lawlessness, you have no law and order.

Edited by aemoreira81

20 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

This is a case where the police commissioner should have ordered the buses to go through anyway (even if it meant plowing into the crowd), and made the protesters scatter or be run over. Since they have no permit to block a public highway, they have forfeited their First Amendment rights. That's how I'd handle it...and deal with fallout afterward. If you tolerate this lawlessness, you have no law and order.

You do realize how outrageous that sounds, right? Not only would the backlash by just about everyone would be insanely bad publicity, but that would set up a terrible precedent (hint hint, look who's in the White House). 

It's a good thing you aren't in charge.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

43 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You do realize how outrageous that sounds, right? Not only would the backlash by just about everyone would be insanely bad publicity, but that would set up a terrible precedent (hint hint, look who's in the White House). 

They shouldn't have intentionally blocked traffic. At some point, you have to just realize you're going to get backlash.

Been a while since there has been a comment like this one...

48 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Ah, protesting on the streets without a permit. The greatest crime in the history of humanity, the pinnacle of lawlessness. 

Guess it's a crime, punishable by death, if you forget your permit. Did you forget Charlottesville already? Now, I don't recall the legality of that protest,...but I'm pretty sure running over people with the intention of killing them is, uh, murder. You know, part of lawlessness?

Five years ago, I would called this a stupid knee-jerk reaction, but these days? Judging from the early comments and the angry emojis in the FB SI Express group, this seems to be a common sentiment. And that is scary AF.

2 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

They shouldn't have intentionally blocked traffic. At some point, you have to just realize you're going to get backlash.

"Sure, 20 people or so were killed, but I mean, I just wanted to go home and feed my family and relax".

Obviously, I'm sympathetic with the protesters, but one doesn't have to agree with them to see how much of a stupid argument you're presenting. Because all you are doing is introducing a whole new order of lawlessness. You think people taking up a street is bad, and now you want people to run them over and kill them?

Now THAT is chaos. You know, the opposite of order?

1 minute ago, GojiMet86 said:

Ah, protesting on the streets without a permit. The greatest crime in the history of humanity, the pinnacle of lawlessness. 

Guess it's a crime, punishable by death, if you forget your permit. Did you forget Charlottesville already? Now, I don't recall the legality of that protest,...but I'm pretty sure running over people with the intention of killing them is, uh, murder. You know, part of lawlessness?

BINGO!

Any slightest inconvenience on a certain demographic and they all show their true colors (but what do I know)

Please leave the protest out of it. The video started at 00:45 for that exact reason. I wanted to highlight a major disruption of bus service during the evening rush.  I want to read about your solutions to get service back to normal and not about what caused it.

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

What else is new with him... lol

@Harry To answer your question, this protest was planned, and in my advocacy group, we posted that it would happen hours in advance.  The (MTA) had to know that it was happening. That said, neither the City, nor the (MTA) was prepared. The solution was simple. Re-route the via 5th Avenue buses down Lex that could be. Others re-route them down 7th, which they did do eventually but not for a long while. Then they also did not alert customers about ConEd work happening on Madison. They re-routed the Madison Avenue buses up 3rd but no one knew outside of my group.  That also was a notice we posted earlier in the day.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Been a while since there has been a comment like this one...

Minute I saw this thread, I knew that comment was gonna come...same insanity spouted around during the Occupy days. I know who I'm not putting in charge...

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What else is new with him... lol

@Harry To answer your question, this protest was planned, and in my advocacy group, we posted that it would happen hours in advance.  The (MTA) had to know that it was happening. That said, neither the City, nor the (MTA) was prepared. The solution was simple. Re-route the via 5th Avenue buses down Lex that could be. Others re-route them down 7th, which they did do eventually but not for a long while. Then they also did not alert customers about ConEd work happening on Madison. They re-routed the Madison Avenue buses up 3rd but no one knew outside of my group.  That also was a notice we posted earlier in the day.

Planned protest, NYC and MTA not prepared. Wow, imagine that!

Frequently listen to BBC Radio 2 on weekends -- a national radio service. They do travel updates hourly for roadworks/accidents all around the country, as well as have very frequent reminders of London protests and streets closed/diversions in place for public transport. TfL and National Rail ones included (especially when there's "industrial actions" [strikes] that happen for a day).

The Brits can do it, but our nation's largest city can't?