MOW IS KING: CUTS IN A, C, B, R, W To take effect, following the cuts in 3, 4 an 5 service!

Union Tpke

LOL I was just drafting a post on this. 

I think there's one sentence in here that's extremely telling:

NYCT routinely evaluates the impact of capital construction and ongoing maintenance work on train operations and adjusts schedules to accommodate this necessary work.

No mention of process reforms to reduce impact, none of different GO formats, none of track barriers. Just "see work, cut service." 

I'm increasingly of the opinion that productivity issues are the next big threat to the system, both given the increase in work volume, and the multi-decades decline in peak ridership in favor of off peak travel. Not that there's much of a chance that these cuts get stopped, but the constant degradation of off peak service is really, really important. 

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

This would be great if we had 90% OTP on the subway and greater seat availability like Metro-North does, but the subway system doesn’t have that luxury.

Friday and Saturday evenings in particular are going to be BRUTAL. A huge turnoff for a local to even try to go to the city for the evening.

Cutting evening service on the part-time lines I can live with. Those last few (B) trains of the night are almost always completely empty, practically running light to the yard. However, cutting (A) and (C) service all weekend is appalling and should require much more public awareness and response. These things can't be swept under the rug like this if the MTA wants to even feign transparency or concern for its customers. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Cutting evening service on the part-time lines I can live with. Those last few (B) trains of the night are almost always completely empty, practically running light to the yard. 

Maybe that has something to do with how rarely those trains have actually run since 2017?

I had a feeling more lines were going to get cuts. Let’s just call it what it is, because the MTA is all for cutting service and saving money. 
I think the one that will affect the most people is the cut in service on the (A) and (C) . It’s bad enough that Far Rock and or Lefferts trains see service at their stations every 18-20 mins on the weekend. How do you encourage more ridership with service like that. Then CPW & Fulton stations will only see service every 12 mins. That’s honestly insane. They might as well make both the (A) and (C) local to make up for service

38 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I had a feeling more lines were going to get cuts. Let’s just call it what it is, because the MTA is all for cutting service and saving money. 
I think the one that will affect the most people is the cut in service on the (A) and (C) . It’s bad enough that Far Rock and or Lefferts trains see service at their stations every 18-20 mins on the weekend. How do you encourage more ridership with service like that. Then CPW & Fulton stations will only see service every 12 mins. That’s honestly insane. They might as well make both the (A) and (C) local to make up for service

The only good thing is the (S) extension, but the MTA even bungled that. There are almost zero service posters on trains or relevant platforms detailing the extension, so if you take a Rockaway train, you'll see every single person get off at Broad Channel and wait for an (A) instead of riding to Rockaway Blvd. and getting off there. C/Os explain nothing to the passengers, so unless you're a transit nerd, you don't know. 

1 hour ago, P3F said:

Maybe that has something to do with how rarely those trains have actually run since 2017?

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's exactly it. They keep cutting the service early whenever possible.

I agree with both of you. Cutting service affects the riders and their decisions to head towards alternatives. Therefore, those (B) trains during that timeframe aren't "empty" just because.

14 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

I agree with both of you. Cutting service affects the riders and their decisions to head towards alternatives. Therefore, those (B) trains during that timeframe aren't "empty" just because.

I have had some HORRIBLE experiences with the (B)... Likely one reason the (D) is so packed because the (B) is so unreliable.

Honestly, I don't see how one less (R) trip makes such a huge difference in track access. The (M) is still running to 71st at that time (unless that's the next shoe to drop). The QB local gets shortchanged enough as it is. 

My heart goes out to (A)(C) riders. 20 min service on the branches? That's almost LIRR level frequency. Insane. Just make Lefferts a shuttle and be done with it. I can't see how the politicans in Brooklyn and Queens will let that slide. 

I can't speak for the (B) but Astoria is hopping even at night, I can't see how cutting the (W) moves the needle on workload...

On 7/19/2019 at 9:06 PM, shiznit1987 said:

Honestly, I don't see how one less (R) trip makes such a huge difference in track access. The (M) is still running to 71st at that time (unless that's the next shoe to drop). The QB local gets shortchanged enough as it is. 

My heart goes out to (A)(C) riders. 20 min service on the branches? That's almost LIRR level frequency. Insane. Just make Lefferts a shuttle and be done with it. I can't see how the politicans in Brooklyn and Queens will let that slide. 

I can't speak for the (B) but Astoria is hopping even at night, I can't see how cutting the (W) moves the needle on workload...

The (B)(W) cuts during weekday evening are the worst idea especially since the (D) and (N) run every 12 minutes (on the website, in reality anywhere between 8 and 25 minutes) due to the work train staging on 4 Av. 

Astoria therefore goes from 11-12 TPH to 4-5!! That’s a > 50% reduction in service! Where does one complain about these changes? Central Park West is also getting shafted with a 50% cut. Asinine! (Sorry for any profanity).

before you know it, the following changes will be made:

- no more weekend (3) or (5) service

- (Q) train reduced to every 10 minutes on weekends

- drop the franklin Av Shuttle 

- (W) train cut during middays/sent to 96 St

- midday <6> cut: all trains operate to Pelham Bay vía local every 6 minutes (or every 10 minutes, with overlay (6) trains starting at 3 Av-138 St every 10 minutes)

- midday and weekend (L) every 8 minutes

- (M) train cut back to Myrtle Av-Broadway during weekend daytime hours after the (L) train work is done

Edited by darkstar8983

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (B)(W) cuts during weekday evening are the worst idea especially since the (D) and (N) run every 12 minutes (on the website, in reality anywhere between 8 and 25 minutes) due to the work train staging on 4 Av. 

Astoria therefore goes from 11-12 TPH to 4-5!! That’s a > 50% reduction in service! Where does one complain about these changes? Central Park West is also getting shafted with a 50% cut. Asinine! (Sorry for any profanity).

before you know it, the following changes will be made:

- no more weekend (3) or (5) service

- (Q) train reduced to every 10 minutes on weekends

- drop the franklin Av Shuttle 

- (W) train cut during middays/sent to 96 St

- midday <6> cut: all trains operate to Pelham Bay vía local every 6 minutes (or every 10 minutes, with overlay (6) trains starting at 3 Av-138 St every 10 minutes)

- midday and weekend (L) every 8 minutes

- (M) train cut back to Myrtle Av-Broadway during weekend daytime hours after the (L) train work is done

While I do see the MTA doing things like cutting back the weekend (M) , cutting weekend (Q) service, and turning the (5) into a Dyre shuttle on the weekends, there’s no way I see them cutting the Franklin shuttle or the weekend (3) -  those neighborhoods would throw a fit and cutting them wouldn’t do too much considering that Franklin doesn’t have a lot of G.Os while the (3) usually just gets cut back on the weekends (the most I’d see them do is cut it back to Times Square).