MTA is idiotically slabbing over closed exits at Broad Street

Union Tpke

They are already closed. Slabbing it over saves no money and makes it almost impossible to reopen them if need be.

48324380431_7671e1b8b8_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.51.26 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48324380396_2aed0fa38a_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.51.44 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48324380346_26faa1b6d7_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.52.04 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48324380311_5807573475_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.52.16 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Eh, while the flexibility of the entrances is conceptually important, I fear in this post-9/11 era we'll never see them opened again. As long as the NYSE is paying, I can't get too frustrated. I'm more bothered by the MTA's refusal to ever re-open the cross-unders foolishly closed off during the subway's worst years. For a station like 23rd Street to be shut for months of modernization and either side to still remain uptown- or downtown-only is a lousy oversight that limits commuter flexibility. 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Eh, while the flexibility of the entrances is conceptually important, I fear in this post-9/11 era we'll never see them opened again. As long as the NYSE is paying, I can't get too frustrated. I'm more bothered by the MTA's refusal to ever re-open the cross-unders foolishly closed off during the subway's worst years. For a station like 23rd Street to be shut for months of modernization and either side to still remain uptown- or downtown-only is a lousy oversight that limits commuter flexibility. 

Chalk those closed cross-over, cross-unders to the legal department(s) under the guise of "safety", or so I was told years ago. Before 9/11. I saw it as a " less areas to patrol" and a cleaning thing When I was a youngster the Bedford Avenue end of the Fulton Street Nostrand Avenue (A)   station was open 24/7 and look at the distance that cross-over covered. Then again we're just riders. What do we know ? Carry on.

1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Chalk those closed cross-over, cross-unders to the legal department(s) under the guise of "safety", or so I was told years ago. Before 9/11. I saw it as a " less areas to patrol" and a cleaning thing When I was a youngster the Bedford Avenue end of the Fulton Street Nostrand Avenue (A)   station was open 24/7 and look at the distance that cross-over covered. Then again we're just riders. What do we know ? Carry on.

Think you're absolutely right, that's definitely where it came from. My beef is that we're in the era of CCTV, LIDAR, all that jazz–shouldn't be so hard for the MTA to monitor a cross-under, especially if it's well-lit. Then again, this is the same transit system that wants to do away with token booth clerks, so who knows what the priorities are...

10 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

When did the Bedford end close?

9 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

When did the Bedford end close?

IIRC it originally closed back in the early 70's. I don't know if they ever re-opened it at a later date. I was going to refer you  to subway dot org but they never corrected the error about the 135th St-Lenox station that I pointed out a while back. A 3 track station became 2 tracks according to them. Coming from a guy who was a RR Porter way back when who actually cleaned those stations. YMMV. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
additional thought

6 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

IIRC it originally closed back in the early 70's. I don't know if they ever re-opened it at a later date. I was going to refer you  to subway dot org but they never corrected the error about the 135th St-Lenox station that I pointed out a while back. A 3 track station became 2 tracks according to them. Coming from a guy who was a RR Porter way back when who actually cleaned those stations. YMMV. Carry on.

I have been working on a list of closed subway entrances here. Thanks so much for the information about Bedford. If you could provide dates to any of the other closed entrances it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Isn’t there a lot of support for reopening Nostrand’s mezzanines and exits due to the crowding at the station? 

AFAIK the entrance on Bedford Avenue is still closed.  I posted something in the Surface threads when the B44 SBS was introduced that I thought that particular entrance would be open for the SBS ridership who otherwise were left with the long walk to Nostrand Avenue or toward Franklin Avenue.  I don't frequent the area anymore but maybe someone out there can give us the latest information.  Carry on.  

On 7/19/2019 at 11:32 PM, Around the Horn said:

Yeah they're never reopening those exits at Broad Street. For better or worse that security perimeter is staying.

They should at least make it possible for them to reopen if things change, and they can.

Ehh, NYSE wants to make the area a fancier pedestrian walkway for all the businesses there. Frankly, I always found it confusing that the closed stations are still there because it makes you think you can enter the subway there even though you can't. this is fine with me

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Ehh, NYSE wants to make the area a fancier pedestrian walkway for all the businesses there. Frankly, I always found it confusing that the closed stations are still there because it makes you think you can enter the subway there even though you can't. this is fine with me

Doesn’t a gate serve the same purpose? Subway entrances get blocked off all the time (like for construction) without permanently shuttering them.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Doesn’t a gate serve the same purpose? Subway entrances get blocked off all the time (like for construction) without permanently shuttering them.

There's no way in hell they will ever open these entrances again because of security/terrorism concerns, and if the NYSE is paying to slab it over so they have a bigger pedestrian walkway area, I really don't mind.