Artics to the Q12, B38, Bx35 and other schedule changes

Union Tpke

I am honestly surprised that they are actually going ahead with making the Q12 an artic line. I thought they would introduce some type of LTD service on Northern Blvd before they ever converted the Q12. I never specifically saw the Q12 as a line that needed artics since the Q13 also runs along Northern.

I actually can’t help but wonder about the Q13. More specific I feel that the MTA will purposely reduce service on the Q13 to make the Q12 with artics more of a success. I even see the Q28 getting a slight boost in service to accommodate riders who want Northern Blvd from Union Street to 162nd Street. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2019 at 12:45 AM, NBTA said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the other three routes get artics sometime soon, specifically the Bx11, if they continue with the plan. If they continue with the Bx30 to WPR, then I don't see the Bx30 becoming artics, but if the Bx30 stays the same, then seeing GHR with three artic routes (Bx28/30/38) won't be a shock.

Bx38... possible elimination unless people start talking and the TA makes additional modifications. 

Bx28 definitely needs artics. So far during the AM rush it’s usually 2 sometimes 3 on that line. 

Bx30 depending on where this re-design plan goes will indicate if the line is suitable for artics. 

Another GH line should be artic is the Bx26. Simultaneous to what the Bx28 does in the AM Rush by having at least 3 artics working. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

On 7/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, Cait Sith said:

Just know that the districts that the Q46 travels through is more or less against losing parking spaces, so moving buses and removing parking spaces would pretty much cause massive outcry by people who live around the areas.

For example, the Q5 was set to become a +Select Bus Service+ route, but was evidently killed by the communities and businesses affected by the loss of parking spaces.

Wow....I did not know the Q5 was a candidate for SBS, let alone the community opposition to it.

As for the Q46, I could see how there would be community opposition to the longer buses at virtually every stop along the route on the grounds of lost parking spots and general traffic concerns.

As for the Q12 NOT having community opposition to the longer buses just yet, I could see that changing once the arctics are put into service....especially east of the Cross Island Parkway. I could see the residents near the Little Neck Parkway terminus not being too happy to have a larger bus snaking its way through the residential streets. Parking in that area has become a bit more complicated than it used to be (still better than most of NYC, but not as easy as it once was).

15 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I am honestly surprised that they are actually going ahead with making the Q12 an artic line. I thought they would introduce some type of LTD service on Northern Blvd before they ever converted the Q12. I never specifically saw the Q12 as a line that needed artics since the Q13 also runs along Northern.

I actually can’t help but wonder about the Q13. More specific I feel that the MTA will purposely reduce service on the Q13 to make the Q12 with artics more of a success. I even see the Q28 getting a slight boost in service to accommodate riders who want Northern Blvd from Union Street to 162nd Street. 

I thought the same thing...A Q12 with arctics, but w/o limited stops. Also, the Q13 goes parallel with the route east of 165 st.

Maybe the MTA has something up their sleeve with the Q13? (I could see where some promises might've been made to those along the Q28, but cuts might be needed somewhere else...just a thought).

Edited by Uncle Floyd Fan

5 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I thought the same thing...A Q12 with arctics, but w/o limited stops. Also, the Q13 goes parallel with the route east of 165 st.

I don’t think the Q12 needs limited stops. Most passengers it seems like head straight into the (7) or along Sanford Av

52 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I don’t think the Q12 needs limited stops. Most passengers it seems like head straight into the (7) or along Sanford Av

I tend to agree. For that matter, does it really need the 60 foot buses, either? I understand the Q44 and other high volume bus routes, but not the Q12.

18 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I tend to agree. For that matter, does it really need the 60 foot buses, either? I understand the Q44 and other high volume bus routes, but not the Q12.

There's been rumors since the first days CS got LFSAs, that the Q12 would see some artics. So, honestly, the Q12 probably does need them, maybe most of us are just looking at stats rather than being out there to actually see the line, and the crowding, 24/7.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

There's been rumors since the first days CS got LFSAs, that the Q12 would see some artics. So, honestly, the Q12 probably does need them, maybe most of us are just looking at stats rather than being out there to actually see the line, and the crowding, 24/7.

That is most the board 🤣🤣🤣 nobody leaves there neighborhoods but know so much.

4 hours ago, NBTA said:

1 hour ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

That is most the board 🤣🤣🤣 nobody leaves there neighborhoods but know so much.

Overcrowding 24/7, on the Q12? Not quite. It'll be SRO in the rush hours, but the TA could add additional 40 foot buses. The 60 footers are not needed for every single route. Also, I'm in NE Queens and have taken the Q12 from time to time.

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

When I gave my two cents about the Q12 running artics I was talking based on experience. I used that route over the course of several years.

+1.

57 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

No doubt artics were ran in test service before the decision was made.  Therefore it is not a concern for NYCT.

To support this point, 4710 has been testing along the route lately.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Wow....I did not know the Q5 was a candidate for SBS, let alone the community opposition to it.

As for the Q46, I could see how there would be community opposition to the longer buses at virtually every stop along the route on the grounds of lost parking spots and general traffic concerns.

As for the Q12 NOT having community opposition to the longer buses just yet, I could see that changing once the arctics are put into service....especially east of the Cross Island Parkway. I could see the residents near the Little Neck Parkway terminus not being too happy to have a larger bus snaking its way through the residential streets. Parking in that area has become a bit more complicated than it used to be (still better than most of NYC, but not as easy as it once was).

The longer buses don't really affect parking.....all they do is move the bus stop several feet, that's it. I'm pretty sure that it's not going to be a big deal, as the Q12 only goes on the residential side streets for a little while anyway.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

When I gave my two cents about the Q12 running artics I was talking based on experience. I used that route over the course of several years.

My comment wasn’t towards you or anyone for that matter, but, you have the most experience with the line from what i see, if you’d like, shoot me a PM because I’m big on planning, and I can probably figure out why they are considering it.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Maybe end the route somewhere else (say, North Shore Towers)?

14 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe end the route somewhere else (say, North Shore Towers)?

I guess the longer buses shouldn't be an issue at the current Q12 eastern terminus, according to @Cait Sith. Still looks kind of tight on Pembroke Ave, but I'm not a bus driver.

I don't see the NST residents wanting the Q12 on their property (it is their property). Although this is not an 'ideas thread', maybe Flushing to LIJ Hosp could be in the cards. It's not that far fetched, but unlikely.

1 hour ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I guess the longer buses shouldn't be an issue at the current Q12 eastern terminus, according to @Cait Sith. Still looks kind of tight on Pembroke Ave, but I'm not a bus driver.

I don't see the NST residents wanting the Q12 on their property (it is their property). Although this is not an 'ideas thread', maybe Flushing to LIJ Hosp could be in the cards. It's not that far fetched, but unlikely.

In theory, a 35-foot bus (with a 25-foot trailer) should be able to make a tighter turn than a 40-footer.

As for NST... Some residents actually want the Q46 or other local bus. It's the management company that doesn't want any non-express routes.

2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

As for NST... Some residents actually want the Q46 or other local bus. It's the management company that doesn't want any non-express routes.

Technically, the mgt company should be granting the wishes of the coop that is paying them to manage the property. Truth be told, most residents did not want the Q46 on their property as they did not want 'outsiders' getting into their cooperative gated community. It is more likely that the workers at NST would prefer some form of local bus service

/s/ Outsiders need to pay $6.75 to enter NST /s/

On 7/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, Brillant93 said:

How come the Bronx keep on having their routes converted into artic ops? Last year it was the Bx6 and SBS, The Bx36 and now the Bx35. We knew about the B38 and the Q12 was a rumor until now, but this is just out of left field. 

i know y'all people don't like Hearsay so i don't say much because theres nothing for me to back it up on, but my best friend is a B/O out of WF, and he told me about this happening earlier this year of the BX35 going artic. plus i live on the Bx35 route. I've seen artics on it once in a blue.......

im gonna drop some more "hearsay" that he told me.

he said "Kingsbridge will get all of the Bx15, while WF will get the Bx39" and he said "while at a meeting at WF they brought up the possibility of getting the Q44!" while i don't have nothing to back this up, just wait and see what happens down the line!

1 hour ago, I Run Trains said:

i know y'all people don't like Hearsay so i don't say much because theres nothing for me to back it up on, but my best friend is a B/O out of WF, and he told me about this happening earlier this year of the BX35 going artic. plus i live on the Bx35 route. I've seen artics on it once in a blue.......

he said "Kingsbridge will get all of the Bx15, while WF will get the Bx39" and he said "while at a meeting at WF they brought up the possibility of getting the Q44!" while i don't have nothing to back this up, just wait and see what happens down the line!

I will say this to you. Depending on how the Bronx re-design and alignment goes I wouldn’t hold my breath on that just yet. Sometimes hearsay is accurate with the correct people reporting the information. As in reliable personnel who are in trenches everyday getting the information and vetting for accuracy. 

I will not say that the Bx15 will be fully KB and the Bx39 will be fully West Farms. However, just by hearing this right now that swap won’t go in effect unless concrete sources indicate that. 

1 hour ago, I Run Trains said:

I heard the exact same thing from a KB operator, whom was on the Bx39. 

11 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Technically, the mgt company should be granting the wishes of the coop that is paying them to manage the property. Truth be told, most residents did not want the Q46 on their property as they did not want 'outsiders' getting into their cooperative gated community. It is more likely that the workers at NST would prefer some form of local bus service

/s/ Outsiders need to pay $6.75 to enter NST /s/

The most that could be done is extend the Q46 Glen Oaks branch (and maybe Q12, to stay on-topic) to L.I.J. with a stop outside the gate on the Grand Central Parkway service road. 

39 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I will say this to you. Depending on how the Bronx re-design and alignment goes I wouldn’t hold my breath on that just yet. Sometimes hearsay is accurate with the correct people reporting the information. As in reliable personnel who are in trenches everyday getting the information and vetting for accuracy. 

I will not say that the Bx15 will be fully KB and the Bx39 will be fully West Farms. However, just by hearing this right now that swap won’t go in effect unless concrete sources indicate that. 

Its gonna happen! it was said in a board meeting at WF !

13 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

In theory, a 35-foot bus (with a 25-foot trailer) should be able to make a tighter turn than a 40-footer.

Well of course. Ultimately they have the final say and they want it to remain exclusive so that they can target those that can afford the complex.  Having the QM6 come onto the private grounds gives them an amenity that they can sell to the younger crowd moving in that works in Manhattan.  The complex has its own supermarket and bank with a golf course/country club, so the idea is you don't need to go taking the local bus for anything. You have it all here. If you want to go to a show in Manhattan (lots of residents in the complex do), well the express bus stops right on the grounds in front of each building. They also have a shuttle bus that takes people over to the LIRR.

Most people drive anyway, or if they don't then there's the express bus. 

They market themselves as a "gated co‐op apartment and country club".  If you have local buses running in there, then it's not exactly exclusive. lol

http://www.northshoretowers.com/

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8