Artics to the Q12, B38, Bx35 and other schedule changes

Union Tpke

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well of course. Ultimately they have the final say and they want it to remain exclusive so that they can target those that can afford the complex.  Having the QM6 come onto the private grounds gives them an amenity that they can sell to the younger crowd moving in that works in Manhattan.  The complex has its own supermarket and bank with a golf course/country club, so the idea is you don't need to go taking the local bus for anything. You have it all here. If you want to go to a show in Manhattan (lots of residents in the complex do), well the express bus stops right on the grounds in front of each building. They also have a shuttle bus that takes people over to the LIRR.

Most people drive anyway, or if they don't then there's the express bus. 

They market themselves as a "gated co‐op apartment and country club".  If you have local buses running in there, then it's not exactly exclusive. lol

http://www.northshoretowers.com/

I'm guessing that the supermarket, bank, movie house, and country club hire only NST residents.  That way, nobody would have to travel to NST to work.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I'm guessing that the supermarket, bank, movie house, and country club hire only NST residents.  That way, nobody would have to travel to NST to work.

The North Shore Towers is not unique in being a PRIVATE, GATED COMMUNITY.  If you're going to allow local buses onto the private grounds then there's no point in it being a gated community. The exclusivity of the complex is what is being sold here.  You are buying a lifestyle. That's the idea... The QM6 only comes onto the property for the benefit of the residents as another amenity to go to Manhattan. 

The North Shore Towers is its own community.  That's why you're moving there... To LIVE, SHOP, etc. WITHIN the complex and enjoy the complex, not go outside for everything, hence all of the amenities... Tennis courts, golf course, movie theatre... All of these amenities exist within the complex so that you don't have to go elsewhere, BUT when you want to go to Manhattan, you have the express bus right at your doorstep to take you there. 

I'm pretty sure the workers that work there know about the transportation situation prior to them taking the job, and more than likely can use the shuttle bus service that the complex has if necessary.

I can't think of any gated community in NYC that has local bus service come within the complex. Edgewater Park comes close with the Bx8 and BxM9 serving it, but those buses just go to the loop, pick-up and come back out. They don't go into the actual neighborhood.  The QM6 comes right onto the private grounds serving each building directly.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The most that could be done is extend the Q46 Glen Oaks branch (and maybe Q12, to stay on-topic) to L.I.J. with a stop outside the gate on the Grand Central Parkway service road. 

Hhmm...not a bad idea to have a stop outside NST if the MTA were inclined to extend the Q12 or Q46. However, I don't see this being done anytime in the near future. Perhaps younger generations may seek this option at some point in the future. For now though, it appears to be the home of retired doctors, dentists, and other professionals who have decided to downsize from larger residences as empty-nesters.

Here is a link to their newspaper....it gives one a look inside NST....https://issuu.com/towertimes/docs/tower_times_august_2019

As for personal experience with NST, I drove onto their property once in the mid-90's to go to the movies as they tended to show some unique independent films. When I visited them, they asked for ID and also might've taken a photo of the car and at least the driver. I also walked onto the property in the mid-90's and they asked me where I was going. I told them I was going to the movies and they had further issues (granted, this was before 9/11 and all the fear-mongering and surveillance that takes place nowadays). I don't know how it is to visit the property nowadays (I suppose I can try to go to the movies at some point; it seems easier to go to the Kew Gardens Cinema, though). Now I went off topic.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Hhmm...not a bad idea to have a stop outside NST if the MTA were inclined to extend the Q12 or Q46. However, I don't see this being done anytime in the near future. Perhaps younger generations may seek this option at some point in the future. For now though, it appears to be the home of retired doctors, dentists, and other professionals who have decided to downsize from larger residences as empty-nesters.

Here is a link to their newspaper....it gives one a look inside NST....https://issuu.com/towertimes/docs/tower_times_august_2019

As for personal experience with NST, I drove onto their property once in the mid-90's to go to the movies as they tended to show some unique independent films. When I visited them, they asked for ID and also might've taken a photo of the car and at least the driver. I also walked onto the property in the mid-90's and they asked me where I was going. I told them I was going to the movies and they had further issues (granted, this was before 9/11 and all the fear-mongering and surveillance that takes place nowadays). I don't know how it is to visit the property nowadays (I suppose I can try to go to the movies at some point; it seems easier to go to the Kew Gardens Cinema, though). Now I went off topic.

I've been there several times with the QM6. I have relaxed on the grounds without issue with my iPad waiting for the next QM6.  I actually need to contact them down the line to meet with them about service.  I did some months ago and they were open to it. I just need to get a date down when I have time to go out there.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

i know y'all people don't like Hearsay so i don't say much because theres nothing for me to back it up on, but my best friend is a B/O out of WF, and he told me about this happening earlier this year of the BX35 going artic. plus i live on the Bx35 route. I've seen artics on it once in a blue.......

im gonna drop some more "hearsay" that he told me.

he said "Kingsbridge will get all of the Bx15, while WF will get the Bx39" and he said "while at a meeting at WF they brought up the possibility of getting the Q44!" while i don't have nothing to back this up, just wait and see what happens down the line!

Interesting stuff, but we shall see what happens in the future.

I could see the Q44 moving to WF if the plans to close down CS were to happen.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, Brillant93 said:

...the Q12 was a rumor until now, but this is just out of left field. 

One bus operator told me that the union is unhappy because the Q12 will still be interlined with other routes, and that will cause pedestrian fatalities because the bus operators won't remember what kind of bus they're driving.

6 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

One bus operator told me that the union is unhappy because the Q12 will still be interlined with other routes, and that will cause pedestrian fatalities because the bus operators won't remember what kind of bus they're driving.

They constantly need to check their mirrors (bus/truck visibility issues). If they can't remember what they're driving, perhaps they shouldn't be. FOH with that "goldfish memory" bullshit...

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:36 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I am honestly surprised that they are actually going ahead with making the Q12 an artic line. I thought they would introduce some type of LTD service on Northern Blvd before they ever converted the Q12. I never specifically saw the Q12 as a line that needed artics since the Q13 also runs along Northern.

I actually can’t help but wonder about the Q13. More specific I feel that the MTA will purposely reduce service on the Q13 to make the Q12 with artics more of a success. I even see the Q28 getting a slight boost in service to accommodate riders who want Northern Blvd from Union Street to 162nd Street. 

They're going to use artics on the Q12 to (try to) justify making cuts on all the other lines that utilize Northern Blvd within, and east of Flushing.....

I mean, yeah, they'll do whatever they have in store for the Q13 to portray the (fake) success of running artics on the Q12.... However, they're not going to make service cuts to the Q12 (via artic conversion) to boost service on the Q28 either.... I personally find the Q28 more useful than both the Q12 & the Q13, but I'd be naïve to believe that it'll be spared from anything from this agency when the Queens redesign or whatever is all said & done.....

I simply do not trust the MTA when it comes to their utilization of artics - Never did.... Their first priority with them is not addressing overcrowding (while maintaining service levels) on some route, it's to execute the notion of *more capacity per bus, means a lesser need of buses on the road* (for whatever route).....

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

My concern about artics on the B38 is the turns at the catalpa terminal that area is very tight 

IINM, you used to live around the B38 right?

So you mean to tell me, aside from a mere turn on the ass end of the Catalpa branch, you believe artics on the B38 are warranted?

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

IINM, you used to live around the B38 right?

So you mean to tell me, aside from a mere turn on the ass end of the Catalpa branch, you believe artics on the B38 are warranted?

Yeah I did and my thoughts on artic's is I am very iffy and intrigued on them pretty much I'm concerned about artic's from the terminals down to the N/s split

The Q46, Q43, Q65, Q25 and the Q27 could've used antics buses before the Q12. Those artic buses will be empty after sanford ave and going down northern blvd to little neck. Maybe MTA should have swapped the Q46 to CS and the Q76 to QV. How many artic buses will CS get? When will they start arriving at CS the fall pick is a month away. 

12 hours ago, nuyorican said:

The Q46, Q43, Q65, Q25 and the Q27 could've used antics buses before the Q12. Those artic buses will be empty after sanford ave and going down northern blvd to little neck. Maybe MTA should have swapped the Q46 to CS and the Q76 to QV. How many artic buses will CS get? When will they start arriving at CS the fall pick is a month away. 

Im going to humbly disagree with you. The time I boarded the bus at Bell blvd the bus was full. 

Edited by Jdog14

10 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

You don't judge the whole route over the whole day on the basis of only one trip. Was that bus late? Was the leader on time (or missing)? Is that a daily occurrence?

You're actually right. Point taken. 

Some changes have already occurred on Sanford Avenue regarding the Q12:

1. A one way westbound bicycle has been placed down the entire length of Sanford Avenue and the double yellow line running down the center has been shifted resulting in narrow driving lanes. The eastbound buses especially have a harder time pulling out of the stops. As an avid cyclist myself I am not a fan of this bicycle lane given the number of buses that pass through this street and happen to prefer Barclay Avenue. I am assuming when CitiBike gets to a phase 4 or 5 expansion they will come to Flushing and compete with the taxis and buses in Flushing.

2. Bus stops have begun to be shifted. For instance the eastbound stops at Bowne Street and Parsons Blvd have been consolidated mid block and cars are already getting tickets. There are other small bus stops such as on Murray Street where large trees prohibit bus stop expansion. This is one reason the Q12 and N20G should just go down Northern Blvd with all buses ending at Great Neck LIRR. And maybe send the Q13 and Q26 down Sanford Avenue instead to eliminate the Q12 short turns at 165th Street. It may even boost the productivity on the Q26 and save it from being cut due to the low residential density it currently serves.

Edited by KK7365

My thoughts about the B38:

1. The bicycle lane which omits one driving lane on Dekalb Avenue has been there for some time. There is now only one driving lane out of four similar to Nostrand Avenue on the B44 SBS.

2. If the MTA and DOT want to create a B38 Select Bus Service there will be the problem of putting a bus lane down Dekalb Avenue in addition to the existing bicycle lane. I believe that one side of parking along Dekalb Avenue will be in jeopardy should a B38 SBS plan be implemented and there isn’t another solution to reroute the bicycle lane.

5 minutes ago, KK7365 said:

1. The bicycle lane which omits one driving lane on Dekalb Avenue has been there for some time. There is now only one driving lane out of four similar to Nostrand Avenue on the B44 SBS.

2. If the MTA and DOT want to create a B38 Select Bus Service there will be the problem of putting a bus lane down Dekalb Avenue in addition to the existing bicycle lane. I believe that one side of parking along Dekalb Avenue will be in jeopardy should a B38 SBS plan be implemented and there isn’t another solution to reroute the bicycle lane.

I don’t think the B38 would become a SBS soon (if ever) considering the artics haven’t even hit service yet AND they aren’t receiving the blue and gold schemed buses. I’m sure IF they decide to make the 38 an SBS route then all those road lane things will be resolved.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:05 AM, nuyorican said:

The only local lines in Queens that use Arctics now are the Q10 and Q111. Yet even the Q10 gets standard buses sometimes. The other lines are SBS. I am sure once they will debut on the Q12 they will experiment and pop up on the Q27 and some other lines.

I also wonder if the CNG version of the Articulated bus will come to MTA Bus for the Q25 and Q65.

8 hours ago, KK7365 said:

The only local lines in Queens that use Arctics now are the Q10 and Q111. Yet even the Q10 gets standard buses sometimes. The other lines are SBS. I am sure once they will debut on the Q12 they will experiment and pop up on the Q27 and some other lines.

I also wonder if the CNG version of the Articulated bus will come to MTA Bus for the Q25 and Q65.

No more Cng buses. The MTA is going electric after the XDE40 bus order. 

17 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

No more Cng buses. The MTA is going electric after the XDE40 bus order. 

You really think JG/WF/CP/SC are decommissioning their CNG stations?? I highly doubt it’s the end for CNG. You might see the end of straight diesel(Outside of Express for now) & Hybrids though.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

7 minutes ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

You really think JG/WF/CP/SC are decommissioning their CNG stations?? I highly doubt it’s the end for CNG. You might see the end of straight diesel(Outside of Express for now) & Hybrids though.

The goal is to be 100% electric.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

The goal is to be 100% electric.

agreed... and that'll take place years from now, so the CNG stations will be safe throughout the duration of the C40LF's useful lifespan, as will any other model bus. all they're saying is that from here on out, their goal is not to purchase anything but electric units

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

On 8/5/2019 at 9:08 PM, KK7365 said:

as a former resident of dekalb they would be F**king insane if they put bike lanes on dekalb north of the N/S split on the 38

18 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

agreed... and that'll take place years from now, so the CNG stations will be safe throughout the duration of the C40LF's useful lifespan, as will any other model bus. all they're saying is that from here on out, their goal is not to purchase anything but electric units

Sounds good on paper ultimately political will have the last say on those station being decommissioned. The amount of money invested makes it hard to just up and get rid of them NY has not changed that much yet.

43 minutes ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

Sounds good on paper ultimately political will have the last say on those station being decommissioned. The amount of money invested makes it hard to just up and get rid of them NY has not changed that much yet.

Actually NY is the biggest boaster when it comes to renewable Energy, they wouldn't give 2 shits about what happens to them CNG Stations...