Hudson Rail Link at Risk!

Union Tpke

1 hour ago, Lex said:

So, rather than putting it directly into RBO, can it entirely? Cool. /s

One of my Assemblyman's reps tried getting cute with me on social media. He thinks they are just trying to find a way to do it cheaper. I told him if he's so sure, why doesn't he confirm with the (MTA) and get back to us with what they say. He claims I'm "fear mongering". I told him that his is a vital service in the community, and we need assurances that the shuttle service will be kept. He drives or takes the subway so he doesn't give a damn if the service is cut. He doesn't even live in Riverdale. He lives over in Washington Heights, so he doesn't rely on the service. He and I have philosophical differences on costs and what services should be run, so when he gets cute, I don't back down. I told him if the (MTA) was doing such a stellar job, there would be missing scheduled buses every day  leading people be late to work and to important doctor's appointments.

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One of my Assemblyman's reps tried getting cute with me on social media. He thinks they are just trying to find a way to do it cheaper. I told him if he's so sure, why doesn't he confirm with the (MTA) and get back to us with what they say. He claims I'm "fear mongering". I told him that his is a vital service in the community, and we need assurances that the shuttle service will be kept. He drives or takes the subway so he doesn't give a damn if the service is cut. He doesn't even live in Riverdale. He lives over in Washington Heights, so he doesn't rely on the service. He and I have philosophical differences on costs and what services should be run, so when he gets cute, I don't back down. I told him if the (MTA) was doing such a stellar job, there would be missing scheduled buses every day  leading people be late to work and to important doctor's appointments.

I haven't even used the service and I'm basically facepalming.

If anything, I'd really like to see more service. I'm sure the people up there would appreciate the option, especially if when the express buses 💩 themselves...

3 hours ago, Lex said:

I haven't even used the service and I'm basically facepalming.

If anything, I'd really like to see more service. I'm sure the people up there would appreciate the option, especially if when the express buses 💩 themselves...

I will be speaking with the Riverdale Press shortly, as they have asked to interview me about it via conference call.

I will post a link once my comments from the Riverdale Press are up. We've been having a heated discussion about this proposal on social media where I've been respectfully exchanging talking points with a rep. from my Assemblyman's office. Thanks again to @Union Tpke for posting this. These shuttle buses are extremely important to our community. Both the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations have very limited parking and could not handle any capacity should the service be cut, not to mention the very narrow and hilly roads to get to the stations.  There are also some seniors that use these buses to get to shopping in Riverdale even though that isn't their purpose, but they use them because there is no other bus service nearby without having to walk up very hilly terrain.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I will post a link once my comments from the Riverdale Press are up. We've been having a heated discussion about this proposal on social media where I've been respectfully exchanging talking points with a rep. from my Assemblyman's office. Thanks again to @Union Tpke for posting this. These shuttle buses are extremely important to our community. Both the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations have very limited parking and could not handle any capacity should the service be cut, not to mention the very narrow and hilly roads to get to the stations.  There are also some seniors that use these buses to get to shopping in Riverdale even though that isn't their purpose, but they use them because there is no other bus service nearby without having to walk up very hilly terrain.

You should see their other cuts. So they are getting rid of Bus WIFI, cutting back on bus repaints by 75%, reducing Cleaning positions,  reduction in flagging, reduction in the IT Department, and most likely more other cuts coming from left field. Hudson link isn't the only thing right now about to be sabotaged. I recommend you get your elected officials feet above the fire and get them to take action ASAP on all of this, because it is highly unacceptable how this plan is disgracing everyone. Cuomo is such a political hack and a disgrace, if only we had term limits... Smh

23 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

You should see their other cuts. So they are getting rid of Bus WIFI, cutting back on bus repaints by 75%, reducing Cleaning positions,  reduction in flagging, reduction in the IT Department, and most likely more other cuts coming from left field. Hudson link isn't the only thing right now about to be sabotaged. I recommend you get your elected officials feet above the fire and get them to take action ASAP on all of this, because it is highly unacceptable how this plan is disgracing everyone. Cuomo is such a political hack and a disgrace, if only we had term limits... Smh

I already have. I got confirmation supposedly that this is just something they are considering, and that the plan is to continue the service. They don't expect to make any changes until a year or so from now. I was accused of "inciting fear" in the community, but I held firm, so that the issue was looked into ASAP. My interview with the Riverdale Press will probably be out in the next few days.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No problem. This service has been a major success. For those unfamiliar with what the rail link has done, look here: https://books.google.com/books?id=T_uJsIt7uD0C&pg=PA93&dq=hudson+rail+link+increase+ridership+spuyten+duyvil&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlqcLzu9HjAhUNUt8KHem1CNcQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=hudson rail link increase ridership spuyten duyvil&f=false.

2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Now is it known what those 2 replacement buses will be? Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of the school-bus era...

There will be no replacement buses

Its states the termination of the commitment to buy two buses as well as the contract. In short whatever the outcome, Metro North will no longer subsidize the service, so if no one picks it up it will be discontinued

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I already have. I got confirmation supposedly that this is just something they are considering, and that the plan is to continue the service. They don't expect to make any changes until a year or so from now. I was accused of "inciting fear" in the community, but I held firm, so that the issue was looked into ASAP. My interview with the Riverdale Press will probably be out in the next few days.

That is absurd for you to be accused of "Inciting fear" because you are just doing what a concerned citizen has every right to do, and that is have their voices heard. I will look into the Interview though, and hopefully with the pressure from elected officials, things can be done.

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

There will be no replacement buses

Its states the termination of the commitment to buy two buses as well as the contract. In short whatever the outcome, Metro North will no longer subsidize the service, so if no one picks it up it will be discontinued

Is there any implications for NYCT Bus to take over the service instead? (MTA) is such an expansive agency that if they allocate money properly, and coordinate within their subdivisions accordingly, the MTA can do this themselves as opposed to contracting some other company.

Cancelling the contract sounds like a breach of contract to me, unless they can prove some sort of negligence by the contractor, or the original contract has a unilateral cancellation clause built in (which would reflect poor negotiation by the contractor). It sounds like the service runs reasonable well. Totally unacceptable to play these games! 

18 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Is there any implications for NYCT Bus to take over the service instead? (MTA) is such an expansive agency that if they allocate money properly, and coordinate within their subdivisions accordingly, the MTA can do this themselves as opposed to contracting some other company.

Based on the cuts throughout the MTA at this moment, it is highly unlikely

Based on how narrow the streets are, I can't see how a 40-foot bus can negotiate those streets. Also, I can't see how this works at the pay scale of MTA drivers. A paratransit contractor or school bus company could make it work though.

That said, how dire are MTA finances that this is being considered?

I received confirmation from both the Riverdale Press and an elected official rep. that the proposal was not only just a proposal, but shouldn't have been placed there at all, as supposedly it was never on the table.  (Yeah BS) <_< My interview with the Riverdale Press was printed in the paper yesterday and will be available online likely this coming Sunday.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8