Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Union Tpke

End of Cash Payment on-board LIRR trains, other cuts

Recommended Posts

This is a step in the right direction modernizing the way fare media is collected eliminating jobs I don't agree with you need eyes and ears to be a deterrent and in case of an emergency who will customers/passengers immediately alert to an issue that has arisen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a few posts about most passengers paying beforehand ( which is true).

However, I've seen passengers paying on board the LIRR on many trips, either because they were in a rush to catch the train, an infrequent rider that doesn't know how fare payment works and/or how to use the TVMs (or don't know that it costs more on board), or they're tourists which just got off the JFK Air train and figure they can simply pay on board or with their metrocard. 

 

On 5/22/2019 at 12:49 AM, Lawrence St said:

That's an odd choice of wording. But still looking forward to it!

But how would this "all door boarding" work? What's stopping someone from bypassing the reader in the rear two doors?

As opposed to walking past the Bus Operator and sitting down as if there is no fare?

On 5/22/2019 at 6:36 AM, Lil 57 said:

IMO until the (MTA) can strongly enforce fare evasion, all door boarding should be put on hold. People would just stroll through the back door w/o paying anything.

Whats the difference between that and those not paying now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All door boarding is like a city-wide SBS. Fare inspectors come on board and you didn't tap thats a ticket for you. (Most of the increase in ridership on the BX41 I would guess is due to more people paying after POP). Works wonder in San Francisco.

 

Regarding cash payment on the commuter rail, I think its time MTA switch the POP too. too many intermediate station fare beatings and unoffical ride extensions. Many people would also not activate their tickets despite them suppose to do that, and when the conductor comes thru, they say they don't have signal ands will show them later and would hop off the train later, knowing the conductors wouldn't have time to come back. 

I would say, eliminate cash payment on board, and take a page from Europe.

 

(regarding NJT Buses, I find it stupid that they don't round the fares to the nearest 25 cents, so NJT is not the model example to compare itto.)

Edited by Mtatransit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

regarding NJT Buses, I find it stupid that they don't round the fares to the nearest 25 cents, so NJT is not the model example to compare itto.

I would like to see NJT buses use a flat fare system (at least for the local buses) and for NJT to use OMNY for their trains and buses. But in reality, that has a slim to none chance of actually happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I would like to see NJT buses use a flat fare system (at least for the local buses) and for NJT to use OMNY for their trains and buses. But in reality, that has a slim to none chance of actually happening.

Agreed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 7:07 PM, Lex said:

That makes it seem as if you're one of the few who pays on the train. I can't think of a single time I used the LIRR and someone paid on the train.

I never pay on the train. I just believe in options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 4:55 PM, Mtatransit said:

Many people would also not activate their tickets despite them suppose to do that, and when the conductor comes thru, they say they don't have signal ands will show them later and would hop off the train later, knowing the conductors wouldn't have time to come back. 

 

you don't need a signal to activate the ticket but you need a signal to buy a ticket.... But if you didn't buy it yet and the conductor comes around, then you gotta pay the onboard fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

you don't need a signal to activate the ticket but you need a signal to buy a ticket.... But if you didn't buy it yet and the conductor comes around, then you gotta pay the onboard fare.

Thats if the conductor charges the on-board fare, most of the time, the conductor won't bother and therefore they get a free ride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:
On 7/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Hmm...that's right, MNRR takes credit cards....does the LIRR? I never tried to pay with one onboard.

Even though I'm on the LIRR way more often then MNRR, I trust the MNRR system a bit more.

I'll eventually go digital with paying for the LIRR, but only when virtually forced to do so.

I'm not sure to be honest. I have only bought e-tickets for LIRR rides of late, mainly City Ticket. Works beautifully. It has allowed me to catch trains that I wouldn't get otherwise as I have bought them right on the platform as the train was ready to depart,

LIRR 100% takes card. I've lost my monthly twice at the end of the month and have had to pay for the remaining one or two days with my debit card. I've never had a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're asking if LIRR takes credit and debit card on board (the conductors). The answer is yes - this topic is about how they will no longer accept paper bills (card only). They will presumably accept any Visa, Mastercard, Amex, or Discover (credit, debit, or prepaid).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 7:31 PM, Italianstallion said:

According to LIRRToday, MTA has put off eliminating cash for LIRR tickets until OMNY is fully rolled out.

 

https://www.thelirrtoday.com/2019/12/lirr-tables-plan-for-onboard-cash-ban.html

Not sure if it will change things but NYC will be banning cashless businesses.   In other words, companies that currently to not accept cash as.payment will be.forced to.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Truckie said:

Not sure if it will change things but NYC will be banning cashless businesses.   In other words, companies that currently to not accept cash as.payment will be.forced to.

That legislation for private NYC businesses. The (MTA) is a public entity controlled by the state. My advocacy group tried to reverse that no coins policy on the express buses, and the only way it could be done is if either Governor Cuomo got involved, or the (MTA) Board voted to change the policy. Sucks, but that's the deal. I'm not shocked by this.  Metro-North and LIRR customers are well represented on the (MTA) Board, which makes a big difference, and as you know, Metro-North has some of the best customer service out of all of the (MTA) services.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 1:55 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That legislation for private NYC businesses. 

Wasn't aware of that aspect of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Truckie said:

Wasn't aware of that aspect of it.

In general city laws don't affect state entities. It's sort of a grey area but according to the State Constitution the state will always win any pissing match with the city, since the city's rights are defined as "whatever the state didn't take away".

It's why, for example, Amazon HQ2 wasn't stoppable by the City Council or subject to its land use review.

 

It's also worth noting that the city law would ban cashless businesses, but the MTA still accepts cash at MVMs, so the law wouldn't apply.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Truckie said:

Wasn't aware of that aspect of it.

Please excuse the typos (my iPad has been having serious lagging issues to say the least). Yeah, in addition to what @bobtehpanda said, the reason the City is doing what they’re doing is because some people are saying that the no cash policy being enacted by more businesses is a form of discrimination. I would agree with that. Sometimes people want to use cash to better control their spending. More and more of the places I frequent no longer take cash, so you are forced to use a card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Please excuse the typos (my iPad has been having serious lagging issues to say the least). Yeah, in addition to what @bobtehpanda said, the reason the City is doing what they’re doing is because some people are saying that the no cash policy being enacted by more businesses is a form of discrimination. I would agree with that. Sometimes people want to use cash to better control their spending. More and more of the places I frequent no longer take cash, so you are forced to use a card.

I find this new push to credit cards interesting,  because I am seeing more and more small businesses applying credit card fees since the fees can really cut into profits at small restaurants and that sort of thing. 

Meanwhile, the MTA still doesn't have chip readers on MVMs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I find this new push to credit cards interesting,  because I am seeing more and more small businesses applying credit card fees since the fees can really cut into profits at small restaurants and that sort of thing. 

Meanwhile, the MTA still doesn't have chip readers on MVMs! 

lol All of the more high-end coffee shops apply this (the no cash policy), and if you question them about it, the baristas are snotty. It’s crazy. I am terrible when it comes to swiping and going, so I keep daily tabs on how much I spend, but the problem is with swipe and go, the damage is done. lol With cash, once it is spent, that’s it. I think that’s another reason some stores like it. They get you on impulse spending. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I find this new push to credit cards interesting,  because I am seeing more and more small businesses applying credit card fees since the fees can really cut into profits at small restaurants and that sort of thing. 

In Seattle cashless has been a big thing, since businesses want to get out of having to pay to handle cash; getting and transporting money in a secure way costs a non-trivial amount of money.

NYC businesses have historically relied on 

  • underreporting sales to reduce their tax bills
  • paying some groups of people under the table, which you need to do with under the table money

Which is why they love cash.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.