ATS was supposed to be on the BMT by 2005!

Union Tpke

The last 50 years of subway signal projects have been...disappointing, underfunded, poorly executed and impact ignorant. See: the timer projects, recent design trends and the like. 

ATS-A should have been done 10 years faster than it was, and any system but ours would have achieved that no sweat. But then you remember that the cost overrun for Flushing CBTC is about the cost of ATS and, well, at least I just feel a deep sinking feeling...

Ah the benefits of the ATS system in the IRT. Dyre to Bowling Green was  55 minutes before the system was implemented on my weekday run. Before the PM rush began. After implementation I was making the same interval in 63 minutes. Time monitoring done by an RCC console dispatcher who previously worked both Dyre and Bowling Green. Daily radio checks from Dyre to 149th St-Third Avenue. Train on time. Train arrives at Grand Concourse on time as recorded by both the console dispatcher and the tower operator on the scene. Train enters the loop, waits for a s/b Woodlawn train to make a station stop on the upper level, leave,  and I’m finally let out of the loop. My supposed follower. This is with 3 TSS in my cab from East 180th St to the Concourse where one would leave while the other two would ride down to Grand Central on their way home. Every day when ATS was in effect I was 5 minutes late at 125th St. No ATS and I was on time all the way to Franklin Avenue. It got to the point where a supervisor would ask me where I lost my time and my erstwhile folllower, who passed me at the Concourse, would answer for me, “ blame ATS “, which RCC didn’t want to hear. I had someone at RCC monitor my speed n/b leaving President St one day who told a TSS to meet me at Dyre to critique my speed. The TSS said that I was operating too slow at 7mph while others were moving at 15mph or more. I knew him and I decided to be nice to him. He said that RCC had a readout of all trains making the move, local and express for a 12 hour period. He highlighted the info on a computer monitor and my dispatcher started snickering. I correctly pointed out that there was a home signal at the junction and it would clear on time, 15 mph IIRC, but I was making a diverging move over the switch to reach the express track leading to Franklin Avenue. My dispatcher and my rabbi, who the TSS knew by reputation, laughed at him while he apologized to me profusely and he  laughed when I asked if the RCC was gonna discipline all of the train operators  that broke the rules and sped across the junction. It’s nice to have some posters dig up the original proposals that were submitted to the board but I’d bet that many RTO, Signal, and CED still working out there would tell you that some of the proposals , while great in theory , have as much relevance as used toilet paper in the real world. Just my experience and opinion. You can take it any way you want. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Added content

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

RTO, Signal, and CED still working out there would tell you that some of the proposals , while great in theory , have as much relevance as used toilet paper in the real world. Just my experience and opinion. You can take it any way you want. Carry on.

Thats the thing it always looks great "On paper"...

I saw that ATS nonsense while on the 1 Line in 2007 after that crazy chit i took my talents to the B Div...

I'm not coming back i rather travel for for peace of mind instead of waiting for ATS to take a dump..

Like its been doing  a few times already...

Edited by RTOMan

I'd honestly love to see a post mortem on ATS. Centralized dispatching is the best practice domestically and internationally, and other systems certainly seem to make it work and leverage coordination benefits from it. Yet we have this piece of junk, which gratuitously screws junction ops and has an uncanny tendency to fail. 

Wasn't (isn't?) there also an issue where ATS would clear approach signals one by one when doing certain diverging moves, so you'd never be facing anything but yellows coming into an interlocking?