2018 Bus Ridership Stats

Mpn4179

Sorry about the link for Bus Company. It's my first time creating a post. Still trying to learn how to edit a post. Here is the actual link.

MTA Bus Company

Average Weekday Ridership: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

Average Weekend (Saturday + Sunday) Ridership: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm

Annual Ridership: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_annual.htm

1 hour ago, Mpn4179 said:

Sorry about the link for Bus Company. It's my first time creating a post. Still trying to learn how to edit a post. Here is the actual link.

MTA Bus Company

Average Weekday Ridership: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

Average Weekend (Saturday + Sunday) Ridership: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm

Annual Ridership: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_annual.htm

It's rather interesting to see the express numbers. (Something really needs to be done about the QM3...)

The Manhattan numbers look a little better than expected. M15 gained in 2018 and moves back into #1. Question is whether that is a blip and the tanking will resume in 2019 or the M15 is actually performing decently enough to keep it's ridership. 

The outer boroughs are continuing to hemorrhage usage in a major way. If we are to believe these numbers. The numbers would tell us that the B6, which held stable in the low 40k range throughout the past few years of Brooklyn losses, just suddenly joined the tanking club in 2018 with a nearly 11% loss. I don't have any field observations of this route but I just get a vibe that the numbers for this route are suspect. Now in the Bronx, my field observations of the Bx12 suggests that ridership is still through the roof but then I look at this and see an 8% loss in usage (just in 2018). I'm not trusting that calculation one iota. They wait for the year to just about end to show the previous years ridership and then show numbers that look like they were pulled out of their ass. If these numbers are being fudged it's sure not fudging to make the MTA look good because why would you have two of the anchors of the bus network showing lower numbers on the stats then they're getting in real life on the streets.

Nothing to really say beyond that since these numbers can't really be taken seriously. Automatic Passenger Counters are a necessity on our buses and should be what all planning decisions from here on in should be based on.

To put the collapse (it's a collapse at this point) of the bus system in perspective here are the routes that took losses of 10% or greater in 2018 alone (so the MTA says) by borough....

Brooklyn - B6, B7, B12 (damn has this route fallen off), B14, B25, B45, B52, B60 

Bronx - Bx3, Bx5, Bx11, Bx15, Bx16, Bx17, Bx18, Bx19, Bx21, Bx27, Bx30, Bx33, Bx34, Bx35, Bx36, Bx39, Bx40/42, Bx41

Manhattan - M8, M22, M35

Queens - Q11, Q21, Q26

Staten Island - S54, S57, S76/86, S89

Just about every express bus route did well, even the SI numbers are pretty good since the routes were redesigned and renumbered during the year. Some Queens MTAB locals gained as well so if there is a bright spot somewhere there you have it.

It's funny, most of the Bronx buses, like the Bx1-3, Bx9, Bx12, Bx15, Bx19, Bx28/30/38, Bx36, and the Bx39-42, should be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY HIGHER than what they are, but, due to the farebeating, they "dropped" in ridership, but they really didn't lmao.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

It's funny, most of the Bronx buses, like the Bx1-3, Bx9, Bx12, Bx15, Bx19, Bx28/30/38, Bx36, and the Bx39-42, should be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY HIGHER than what they are, but, due to the farebeating, they "dropped" in ridership, but they really didn't lmao.

Same thing as the SI buses, and they are using it against passengers by cutting their service.

Top 10 by borough/express:

Bronx

Bx12

Bx1/2

Bx36

Bx19

Bx9

Bx6

Bx15

Bx40/42

Bx41

Bx35

Brooklyn

B46

B6

B44

B35

B82

B41

B8

B1

B38

B15

Manhattan

M15

M14

M101

M86

M60

M4

M34

M100

M23

M96

Queens

Q58

Q44

Q27

Q10

Q52/53

Q46

Q25

Q23

Q17

Staten Island

S79

S53

S48/98

S46/96

S44/94

S78

S74/84

S40/90

S61/91

S76/86

Express

X17

X1

X27/37

X28/38

BxM7

SIM1

BxM9

QM5 / QM35

X10

QM2 / QM32

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Top 10 by borough/express:

Bronx

Bx12

Bx1/2

Bx36

Bx19

Bx9

Bx6

Bx15

Bx40/42

Bx41

Bx35

Brooklyn

B46

B6

B44

B35

B82

B41

B8

B1

B38

B15

Manhattan

M15

M14

M101

M86

M60

M4

M34

M100

M23

M96

Queens

Q58

Q44

Q27

Q10

Q52/53

Q46

Q25

Q23

Q17

Staten Island

S79

S53

S48/98

S46/96

S44/94

S78

S74/84

S40/90

S61/91

S76/86

Express

X17

X1

X27/37

X28/38

BxM7

SIM1

BxM9

QM5 / QM35

X10

QM2 / QM32

They made an error, if you look closely, the Q52/53 is ahead of the Q10.

Don't fall for this recent focus on farebeating as a prominent reason for poor numbers. Before Byford came along, the numbers were going down and there was no mention of farebeating being a possible cause (go through the Committee Books from 2016 or 2017, nothing of substance there). Even when the subways were hitting their record numbers (and the MTA was just giddier than a bride after the first honeymoon night over them), the bus numbers were on their downward trajectory, and the same chin-scratching went on without nary a mention of farebeating being a possible factor. Their (now favorite) scapegoat of Uber/Lyft/Ride-share began to creep in, coincidentally when the Medallion community started their temper-tantrums and moaning.

Speaking of farebeating: Haven't seen anything media-wise about how the new "crackdown" is going (and you just KNOW the media would love to capitalize on "hardship" cases), and likewise no stories being told around here. Hmmmmm. But it was front-and-center right up before these figures got released, and before the end of the fiscal year (July).

And, of course, the redesign plans are moving full-steam ahead.

Coincidences, eh?

21 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Don't fall for this recent focus on farebeating as a prominent reason for poor numbers. Before Byford came along, the numbers were going down and there was no mention of farebeating being a possible cause (go through the Committee Books from 2016 or 2017, nothing of substance there). Even when the subways were hitting their record numbers (and the MTA was just giddier than a bride after the first honeymoon night over them), the bus numbers were on their downward trajectory, and the same chin-scratching went on without nary a mention of farebeating being a possible factor. Their (now favorite) scapegoat of Uber/Lyft/Ride-share began to creep in, coincidentally when the Medallion community started their temper-tantrums and moaning.

Speaking of farebeating: Haven't seen anything media-wise about how the new "crackdown" is going (and you just KNOW the media would love to capitalize on "hardship" cases), and likewise no stories being told around here. Hmmmmm. But it was front-and-center right up before these figures got released, and before the end of the fiscal year (July).

Coincidences, eh?

You just need to stop. Farebeating has been an issue way before Byford came along, really ever since the Lakers won their last title (2010). 

On 7/30/2019 at 10:03 AM, DetSMART45 said:

Coincidences, eh?

Go ride the buses in the Bronx. Try the Bx15. I'm surprised the paid ridership didn't drop by 50% there. For every one person that paid there, there is atleast one that doesn't pay. I'm here wondering why the hell I'm so honest paying thru the front door, only to get all the seats taken from 15 people who entered thru the back.

20 minutes ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

Here comes the fair beater campaign, this is not a surprise the outer boroughs network is outdated. As for the B6 the B103 plays a major part it a little quicker to Flatbush junction and less stop. 

In my opinion, I think the biggest reason why people don't use the bus service is because it is slow.

However, The (MTA) cut the buses so much that more people stop riding. Then their guidelines came back again and they cut it further. Their guideline legit act like they are the ONLY way people get around, and that if they cut the buses, people will just wait for the next one. Add on the fact that the bus is slow and is unreliable, its no wonder bus ridership is sinking.

Farebeating is partly but not fully responsible for the decline in ridership

Edited by Mtatransit

Q24 losing a little over 11% of it's ridership.....not surprised. That line has gotten considerably worse these days to the point where it was actually acknowledged by multiple studies and residents that the Q24 is the least reliable route in Queens....

Nice to see the Q41 getting small increases. It's a shame how that line is far more reliable than the Q24, even with its headways.....

48 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

In my opinion, I think the biggest reason why people don't use the bus service is because it is slow.

However, The (MTA) cut the buses so much that more people stop riding. Then their guidelines came back again and they cut it further. Their guideline legit act like they are the ONLY way people get around, and that if they cut the buses, people will just wait for the next one. Add on the fact that the bus is slow and is unreliable, its no wonder bus ridership is sinking.

I think one of the main reasons why buses are slow is because how long it spends at a bus stop because everyone pays at the front and also the spacing of stops. 

- Speaking of the Q24, I've noticed the past couple days the destination signage for Jamaica bound buses has changed.... They no longer read "Jamaica 168th st", they now read (either) "Archer av 168th st" or "Archer av Sutphin blvd" (the short turns)...

- As for the B12, there's a shit ton of farebeating on that route, but that route is most definitely seeing losses, usage-wise (even if you consider farebeaters).... The B12 is a lesser reason why I no longer take mass transit to work.... During the PM rush at least (either direction), buses were either (or, both) running rogue & suffering from gross mismanagement; they didn't run on any type of schedule at all.... I'm still of the belief that (albeit non-revenue mileage) the turnaround on the eastern end of the route is causing a domino effect as far as exacerbating its OTP....

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

Your 2nd paragraph is the biggest reason I think folks are no longer taking buses in the numbers that they used to (say, a decade or so ago).... You keep dicking around with service (for the worse) & you create an aura of instability (and quite honestly, an evocation of anger on top of it) - especially as buses get more & more crowded with the snail's like pace they move at (some routes worse than others).....