Subway Speedometers

Union Tpke

Speed indicators, not speedometer, or so we were told when a test pair was installed in cars 9022-23 Redbirds. I noticed that a poster mentioned a hand brake on a NTT.  Those cars have parking brakes, not hand brakes. Just a little correction.  Keep up the good work and information.  Carry on. 

1 minute ago, RR503 said:

Some things never change...

The question is, is this an example of:

A) A vendor bilking the taxpayer knowing they have them by the short hairs. 

B) Nepotism where some influence lands a favorable contract in a favorable district

C) A totally justified freemarket price adjustment based on economies of scale caused by cost per unit price increasing due to numerous intangibles. 

I'll give you a hint, the answer is hidden in the sentence "and the urgency in obtaining this equipment all warrant a non-competitive award"

4 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

I love how the price increased 26.3%. 

A few of us were told 30+ years ago that the MTA,  the parent agency, couldn't run a Lionel train around a circular track successfully if left on it's own. What ever happens in downstate transportation I, personally , would trust the individual components,  bus, subway or railroad before I'd trust anyone else. As some of my older generation would put it the MTA would buy "a pig in a poke". Prime candidates for anyone who has a bridge to sell.  Just my opinion. Carry on. 

Interesting find here. The speedometers on the subway cars mentioned that are currently in service (R62s, R68s, R32 & R42) are still holding up well. I thought they were originally installed in the 80s as part of the efforts to modernize the existing fleet that was in use then. 

5 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Interesting find here. The speedometers on the subway cars mentioned that are currently in service (R62s, R68s, R32 & R42) are still holding up well. I thought they were originally installed in the 80s as part of the efforts to modernize the existing fleet that was in use then. 

I can’t speak for B div equipment, but on the R62/a fleet plenty of the speedometers are BO. I’ve witnessed many times sitting in the station it reading some outrageous number like 70MPH

40 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Speed indicators, not speedometer, or so we were told when a test pair was installed in cars 9022-23 Redbirds. I noticed that a poster mentioned a hand brake on a NTT.  Those cars have parking brakes, not hand brakes. Just a little correction.  Keep up the good work and information.  Carry on. 

Thanks for the correction. I have the docs mentioning that test and will post them.

25 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

B) Nepotism where some influence lands a favorable contract in a favorable district

C) A totally justified freemarket price adjustment based on economies of scale caused by cost per unit price increasing due to numerous intangibles. 

I'll give you a hint, the answer is hidden in the sentence "and the urgency in obtaining this equipment all warrant a non-competitive award"

Yep. And this totally still happens. Look at what just came out today about Cuomo’s...dealings with the drain cleaners, as enabled by this ‘state of emergency.’ 

Related, interesting reading:

https://osc.state.ny.us/audits/allaudits/093019/sga-2019-18s15.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

On 7/29/2019 at 8:02 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

I can’t speak for B div equipment, but on the R62/a fleet plenty of the speedometers are BO. I’ve witnessed many times sitting in the station it reading some outrageous number like 70MPH

It's pretty much the same in the B. NTTs show 59mph going over a switch and plenty of R32s, R68/As show 0mph while the train is still in motion.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:51 PM, Jsunflyguy said:

Yet its us hourlies  making six figure salaries living in huge houses and having multiple cars who are the major cause of the MTA financial woes...😑😑😑😑