Train Operator To Conductor

Harlem

Thanks in advance for your help. What would happen to a Train Operator who completed probation and then decided to become a Conductor?

- Would you have to start at the Conductor's beginning pay rate?

- Would you lose your seniority?

- Would you be able to return to the Train Operator title?

I'm heading to TO schoolcar soon and the reason I ask is because I'm on both lists and have heard Conductor is a less stressful title. 

7 hours ago, Harlem said:

Thanks in advance for your help. What would happen to a Train Operator who completed probation and then decided to become a Conductor?

I'm heading to TO schoolcar soon and the reason I ask is because I'm on both lists and have heard Conductor is a less stressful title. 

If you are a probationary T/O and get called for the C/R job, you must resign from the T/O title before you can accept the invitation to become a C/R. If you choose to do that, you will start at the C/R minimum pay rate. Any seniority you gained as a T/O will be lost. You will have to start all over again from the bottom. The only way you could reestablish yourself as a T/O is if you were a permanent (completed probationary period) T/O BEFORE you decided to switch over to the C/R title.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

5 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

If you are a probationary T/O and get called for the C/R job, you must resign from the T/O title before you can accept the invitation to become a C/R. If you choose to do that, you will start at the C/R minimum pay rate. Any seniority you gained as a T/O will be lost. You will have to start all over again from the bottom. The only way you could reestablish yourself as a T/O is if you were a permanent (completed probationary period) T/O BEFORE you decided to switch over to the C/R title.

And if you do go switch titles after probation, you only have a year to come back to your former title. Within the year, you don't lose your seniority as T/O. Anytime after, your spot is lost and you'll need to take another exam to go back. 

On 8/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Where did you hear this from?

Rule 9 protects permanent employees taking promotions and deciding to go back to their previous title.

Conductors promote to Train Operator, not the other way around.  In order for a Train Operator to go to Conductor is if they were permanently a Conductor as a former title (finished probation in the Conductor title) and willing to go back

OR

Take an on paper demotion, in this case probably to Cleaner and then promote to Conductor.  This also requires the Train Operator to have finished their probation in the Train Operator title.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:42 AM, Harlem said:

1.  You will have to resign or take an on paper demotion to go from Train Operator to Conductor.

2. Yes.  You will start at the begginning pay tier.

3. Yes.  You will lose your seniority gained over your time as a Train Operator, however the time spent as Train Operator will count towards your serviceable years in regards to pension.  In terms of vacation, birthday, personal leave day, and Lincoln's Birthday, if you resign you will have to complete one year again.  If you take the on paper demotion those years as Train Operator will count towards acruing those vacation weeks and holidays.

4. Only if you take another Open Competitve or Promotional Test as Train Operator and are called again for it.

5.  Conductor and Train Operator has different forms of stress.  Former Conductors tell me it is harder to get in trouble as a Conductor Compared to Train Operator, but the question is what are you really looking for in a job?  Each title has their own benefits and demerits.  Ask around the crew rooms, talk to your co-workers who have worked the title before you decide.

Conductor is not for everybody and Train Operator even less so.  Met plenty of people in all titles who refuse to go to the front for fear of failure and responsibility, but if knowing the job and everyone else's job is paramount comcerning train movement.